PDA

View Full Version : Pretest Question

CDL
11-27-2001, 12:35 PM
Hello, everyone,

Can someone tell me when it's ok to sign up and write the pre-test? I just wrote Course 5 and need it to get my ASA. I have already attended the APC. I am planning to write the pre-test in February.

actuary vixen
11-27-2001, 01:18 PM
Two weeks before the test is the deadline to sign up for a pre-test, so you're safe. You can also ask for an exemption to go ahead and write the pre-test whether you pass Course 5 or not. Call Laura Howard at the SOA and she'll tell you everything you would need to send in. I just had to write a letter listing my qualifications and actuarial background and they let me take the pre-test even though I hadn't passed Course 5 yet.

zapped
11-27-2001, 01:30 PM
i assume you mean the pretest for course 7. if so, what does the pretest have to do with getting your ASA? do you have course 6?

CDL
11-27-2001, 01:48 PM
Zapped, yes, I have Course 6. The reason I bring up ASA is I thought you could only write the pre-test after attaining ASA (i.e., passing 1-6 and the APC).

Laura, what qualifications did you put in your letter? It seems that some people get exempted while others don't. I have 4 years of experience but I never passed Course 200 or 210 and I heard passing one of them was a requirement for the exemption.

zapped
11-27-2001, 01:54 PM
a friend that i work with has courses 1-5, and he took the C7 pretest and the seminar.

WWSituation
11-27-2001, 02:48 PM
It is clearly stated that anyone with 5 of the 6 ASA exams who is waiting for their results may take the Pre-test.

yeppers-wsmn
11-27-2001, 04:19 PM
That is correct. You don't need an exemption to take the pre-test if you have 5 of the 6 ASA exams.

You only need the exemption for the actual Course 7 seminar.

Although, you do run the risk of your pre-test expiring (it's only good for 1 year) if you take in Feb. 2002 and find out that you didn't pass C5 in Jan. 2002.

Anyone know how strict they are on the exemptions?

phila
11-27-2001, 04:42 PM
Yeppers - no risk whatsoever. Results come out Jan. 11, you have a two-week deadline to sit for a pre-test - that is before Feb. 1

yeppers-wsmn
11-27-2001, 06:42 PM
No, I mean you run the risk of the pre-test expiring before you qualify to take the C7 seminar. For example, I take C7 pretest Feb 2002 and pass. I have until Feb 03 to take C7. I find out Jan 02 that I just failed C5. Have to take it again Nov 02 and don't get results until Jan 03. Then only have a one month window to take C7.

you follow?

WWSituation
11-28-2001, 07:44 AM
yeppers, from what I hear, there is little risk. I've talked to people who got an exemption despite failing Course 5.

Phil
11-28-2001, 08:44 AM
Has anyone ever gotten permission to take the seminar more than a year after taking the pretest? I'm afraid my pretest from June might expire, because I don't like the location of the available seminars.

Thanks,

-Phil

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phil on 2001-11-28 08:45 ]</font>

Mathgod
11-28-2001, 02:39 PM
I don't know what the latest rules are on the C7 qualification exemption. I was able to demonstrate to knowledge and 4 years experience and got an exemption in January of this year.

The letter I received pretty much said I could take BOTH the pre-test and seminar without having all of parts 1-6.

So Yeppers, if you do get an exemption and pass the pretest you can still go ahead with the seminar even if you fail part 5.

Anonymous
11-29-2001, 02:47 PM
Can anybody who tried the pretest before estimate the pass mark?

60+ ?
70+ ?
80+ ?

smarty pants
11-29-2001, 03:08 PM
Let's see here, I estimate...99%. And that's without me knowing anything about the pretest or Course 7.

sayhey
11-29-2001, 03:32 PM
From the SOA website

Exam
Number Writing
Number Passing
% Passing

Pre-test

Seminar

sayhey
11-29-2001, 03:44 PM
Oh, pass mark not pass %.

Would anyone know their WA score to determine a pass mark? Are the old exams available anywhere?

yeppers-wsmn
11-29-2001, 06:41 PM
do you have to get an exemption to take the pre-test if you only have 5 of 6?

The app. looks like it is only required for C7, not the pre-test.

JailBreak
11-30-2001, 09:14 AM
I read in an earlier post that ASA is required. However, I read on the SOA website that C1-6 is required, it said nothing about APC or ASA.

I hope there is some flexibility on this, because I am also awaiting C5 results. I don't have the experience that some others may have who posted earlier.

But like phila was trying to say earlier, one doesn't have to actually sign up for the February pre-test until after results come out, because you still have a 3 week window there and you only need to register two weeks in advance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JailBreak on 2001-11-30 09:24 ]</font>

TooOldForThis
11-30-2001, 09:40 AM
I recently asked the SOA about this. The response I received from Cathy Cimo was:

We have allowed candidates to petition for an exemption from fully meeting the prerequisites if they have credit for Courses 1-4 and one of Courses 5 or 6. The candidate would need to make the case that he/she is qualified because of experience and eduction. A minimum of 4 years professional experience in a responsible actuarial position would be needed. You would not be able to petition without having credit for Course 5 or 6.

WWSituation
11-30-2001, 10:39 AM
You would think that everybody would at least attempt to get the waiver. Less work than reading through the study notes, no?

Is is a long process? Do they need a letter from ou supervisor?

slam
11-30-2001, 03:20 PM
I was in a similar situation 1 year ago. I had 1-4,6 and was waiting on 5. I knew I wouldn't be motivated to study for the pre-test unless I knew I was taking it for certain in February. I sent in a 1 page letter. It contained my exam history and some other general facts about my work history. I only had 2 years of actuarial experience at the time but a lot of other work experience. I also mentioned something about having no other exam to take in the spring. It seemed that it was approved routinely. Of course, it then proved to be irrelevant as I passed 5, but it did give me some motivation and peace of mind. My impression is that the SOA has a different attitude about 7 than about the other exams. They seem to want people to take and pass it.

Mathgod
12-01-2001, 11:01 PM
In getting my exemption, I tried just a resume-type format and was asked to go into further detail. So I added a 1.5 page narrative description of my experience.
The whole process took maybe a week or two at most all done through email with Laura Howard.

Oh well, got an early flight tomorrow for the Chicago C7 seminar. We'll see if it was worth it!