PDA

View Full Version : ERM questions

KingWithoutACrown
01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to how the field of ERM relates to actuarial science. Can someone please tell me if this is a recent development? I've noticed that the SOA is coming out with a designation for this field soon, which might lead me to believe that this is relatively young. Is this why there are so few posts in this section?

Will there be entry-level jobs for someone with degrees in finance, economics, accounting, math and at least one SOA exam who wishes to pursue this field ? What is the outlook and is this good experience for someone who might want to switch over in more traditional actuarial work ?

Your comments are highly appreciated.:tup:

DW Simpson
01-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Is this why there are so few posts in this section?

How many posts should be here?

KingWithoutACrown
01-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure, as I said before, I'm new to this :oops: The judgement was based on how there are relatively fewer posts in the RM section than in P&C, life, pensions, etc.

mreevit
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to how the field of ERM relates to actuarial science. Can someone please tell me if this is a recent development? I've noticed that the SOA is coming out with a designation for this field soon, which might lead me to believe that this is relatively young. Is this why there are so few posts in this section?

Will there be entry-level jobs for someone with degrees in finance, economics, accounting, math and at least one SOA exam who wishes to pursue this field ? What is the outlook and is this good experience for someone who might want to switch over in more traditional actuarial work ?

Your comments are highly appreciated.:tup:

I think I work in ERM and had 1 exam when I started last year. A lot of more experienced actuaries w/o erm experience have started to work in our group.

DW Simpson
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Will there be entry-level jobs for someone with degrees in finance, economics, accounting, math and at least one SOA exam who wishes to pursue this field ?

Probably.

What is the outlook

Outlook is great. Here are some examples of current ERM actuarial roles:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showpost.php?p=1885956&postcount=5 .

and is this good experience for someone who might want to switch over in more traditional actuarial work

Yes.