PDA

View Full Version : Formula sheet

pygabc
01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
How I can get "the formula sheet" for APM?
Thanks..

hershey220
01-29-2007, 04:28 PM
It will be sent in the second mailing of the SN pack and according to this post (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showpost.php?p=1940227&postcount=7)will be sent out the first week of February. So I guess we'll see what the SOA considers to be the first week.

rekrap
02-02-2007, 09:44 AM
This is the only thread I hadn't responded to yet in this section.

And this obviously wasn't the first (full) week of February. :popcorn:

not_yet_fsa
02-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi, in the past exams the formula sheets were usually availavle as a downloadable PDF on the SOA website. Available of course for free.

Is ordering the study notes the only way to get the formula sheet, or will it be availavle as a PDF soon?

I got the study notes, but I like to print out a few copies of the formula sheet so that I can make notes and I'd rather not photocopy.

Leia
02-22-2007, 02:27 PM
It's with the updates to the spring catalog:

http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams-education-jobs/candidate-and-exam-information/spring-exam-session/spring-2007-catalog/updates/

Karisma
02-27-2007, 11:43 AM
How about the Case Study? Is it available on-line? Thanks.

Side note: How do you add a smilie??

rekrap
02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
How about the Case Study? Is it available on-line? Thanks.

Past case studies are available. I don't know how different (if at all) the new one is from the 2004version.

Side note: How do you add a smilie??

Smilies can be done either by including the word smile between two : marks, such as :smile: (: smile : - with space omitted), or by accessing the list of smilies (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/misc.php?) in the advanced edit functionality.

Karisma
02-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Past case studies are available. I don't know how different (if at all) the new one is from the 2004version.

Smilies can be done either by including the word smile between two : marks, such as :smile: (: smile : - with space omitted), or by accessing the list of smilies (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/misc.php?) in the advanced edit functionality.

:guitar: Thanks!!!:tup:

campbell
03-21-2007, 07:03 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They probably built up this formula sheet from previous ones (to avoid the annoyance of retyping the formulas), and just missed deleting the particular formulas. It's better for them to put too much in than leave some formulas out.

In any case, the formula sheet is created independent of the actual exam, so it's highly unlikely that the omitted sections of Hull 17 will appear on the exam.

D
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
For formula not on the formula sheet, do we need to memorize them?
For example: Modern Investment Management Ch10, page 133.. the minimizing surplus risk for a given funding ratio.

campbell
03-21-2007, 03:18 PM
The question is: is it worth your while to memorize it

They absolutely can ask a question where the formula hadn't been included on the formula sheet. However, the chances of that are pretty small. Your time might be better spent making sure you understand all the concepts in the readings, because the chance that any particular formula will be used is pretty small.

Except Black-Scholes. That's almost sure to show up in some form. Luckily, it and some variants appear on the formula sheet.

hershey220
04-07-2007, 08:56 PM
In chapter 10 of MIM there is a formula for the optimal portion of fund to invest in equities. I was looking over the formula sheet as I was going through my cards and this is not on it, but on the top of page 11 there is a formula from chapter 28 of MIM for the optimal allocation for private equity.

Can anyone explain the differences between these two formulas? Or if they aren't that different, can I be lazy and not memorize the first one and just use the one on the formula sheet?

campbell
04-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I've made my own annotations to the formula sheets -- mainly as to the pages/chapters the formulas appear on, and sometimes very short notes as to what the formulas are about.

I had to split it up into three separate files due to size constraints (and difficulty with the scanner). Anyway -- enjoy, and good luck in our home stretch!

yanz
04-26-2007, 12:03 PM
holy damn that's a lot of work.

[still pissed about having to memorize the exact same formulas for my exam while you guys get to use a cheat sheet]

campbell
04-26-2007, 12:36 PM
FWIW, when I took 8V, I remember looking up one formula on the formula sheet (some interest rate derivative formula).

The vast majority of the formulas on those sheets will never come up on any SOA exam, in any form -- some of them, there's nothing you could do with them except copy them down, and they're not fond of those sorts of questions. I don't know why some of the stuff from readings is put down and some is not, because there's just no way they can use some of that.

zjmgyx
04-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the formula sheets Campbell!
It is certainly that they are better for none.:)

Jy88
04-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I am too overwhelmed by the amount of formula in that sheet. Anyone could share some ideas how to use them in an exam condition? As there are no labels or whatsoever. Any tricks to that?

I have been trying to understand the formulae in there. On page 14 of the formula sheet (if you guys have), you understand wat is the formula used for?

u= exp(r-q-sigma^2/2)*delta-t + sigma * sqrt(delta-t)

and so on pd, pu. It seems like binomial tree formula but for what derivative?

Thanks a lot for that.

campbell
04-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Well, as it says on my annotated version, that's for the binomial tree where you're using equal probabilities (1/2 up and 1/2 down). The q is for the dividend yield, r for risk-free rate, sigma for volatility, delta-t for time step.

Use it for whatever derivative you want to value -- most likely, it would come up in a problem only if they explicitly ask you to use the equal-probability tree. In "real life", you'd use this version because this way you can generate a bunch of traversals on this tree, and just average in a Monte Carlo way - simplifies the math in many ways.

zjmgyx
04-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Are numerical methods for differencial equations valuing derivatives in Hull White required? I found them on page 15, but I don't think they are in the cataloge....

campbell
04-28-2007, 05:55 AM
Well, they pretty much just repeated the formulas from 8V. Just because the formulas are on the sheet doesn't mean they'll appear on the exam.