PDA

View Full Version : Did you read all text/SNs?

veritech
03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I tried to but I'm not done yet. The problem is I don't feel I remember anything, although I did understand most of the stuff while I was reading. I feel I wasted so much time! :'( feeling somewhat hopeless now..........should I use the manual instead to begin with?

any suggestions from the smartest exam takers? does this happen to you too?

carzymathematician
03-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Shake that feeling. U still have 8 weeks to go. I know when I was sitting C6, there were a coupla SNs that I couldn't get thru. I just went str8 to memorizing the cards for them. I felt that the cards would help me to pick out the important points in those notes instead of trying to go through all thematerial. Memorize then try some questions. Read around the things that u have memorized so that U can add some meat to the lists and then try some more questions. We're on the last stretch..just the thought of seeing this sh*t again is enough to scare me into studying like I'm crazy!! Don't give up!

campbell
03-16-2007, 05:53 AM
Yeah, in the fall there were a few SNs for 8V that I just didn't get through (poorly written, for example). If you seriously can't get anything from reading a particular SN, then don't.

Here's an alternate strategy: start with the manual. You can always read the particular sections of the SN that you want to get more detail out of.

The thing is, for good recall, you need to regularly reinforce the material, which is easier doing by looking at lists or manual summaries than reading the note again. Generally you're not going to perfectly recall the details on the first read of anything, and you just have to review it at regular intervals.

veritech
03-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks a lot, girls! :)

My problem is even if I review, I'll using the manuals. So what are the benefits from the reading of the texts/SNs(I am a slow reader), since all I know at the end will be what's in the manual. (This is like the upper bound, I would not likely to know every detail in the detailed outline; not to mention the details in the source material that are not in the manual)

campbell
03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
If you don't have the time to do the full reading, then concentrate on the manual. Manuals are very condensed, though, and some points are made "telegraphically" meaning that items on certain lists may mean absolutely nothing to you unless you look in the SN.

I like using different sources for the same info, because repetition in that way helps me remember better. If it doesn't work that way for you, then obviously something else applies. I just finished going over the behavioral finance study notes, and if nothing else, I'm not going to forget the Palm/3com anomaly, and limits on short-selling, having seen it mentioned in at least 3 different readings.