PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on the New Actex Study Guide

carzymathematician
03-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Can anyone give me some feedback on the new Actex Study Guide? I am specifically interested in the quality of his problem manual? Are there enough questions? Is it worth getting at this time? I have been using Jam + Goldfarb so far. Thanks!

veritech
03-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Can anyone give me some feedback on the new Actex Study Guide? I am specifically interested in the quality of his problem manual? Are there enough questions? Is it worth getting at this time? I have been using Jam + Goldfarb so far. Thanks!

I am using jam. Is it worth gettting the Goldfarb? Thanks!

carzymathematician
03-26-2007, 11:19 AM
I am using jam. Is it worth gettting the Goldfarb? Thanks!

Goldfarb really does give insight into helping you understand the material. The problem is, in order to help u understand, he sometimes uses material that's not on the syllabus. Some of his questions are really good but there are some that you KNOW will not showing up on the exam (eg. one that he has to use spreadhseets to derive the answer). In that same breath, I really do think his manual is a good supplement for the JAM guide (seeing that JAM does not have that many questions). So if your co. has no prob with shelling out $150, I'd definitely say go for it!

veritech
03-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Goldfarb really does give insight into helping you understand the material. The problem is, in order to help u understand, he sometimes uses material that's not on the syllabus. Some of his questions are really good but there are some that you KNOW will not showing up on the exam (eg. one that he has to use spreadhseets to derive the answer). In that same breath, I really do think his manual is a good supplement for the JAM guide (seeing that JAM does not have that many questions). So if your co. has no prob with shelling out $150, I'd definitely say go for it!

Thank you for your insight!
Sadly, my co. doesn't cover another manual. I'll figure out if I'll pay and if I'll have time to go over it!
Does it take long to go over Goldfarb manual?
Does it have more question types than jam that are relevant to the exam? (quality of questions is more important than quantity, just IMO)
Thank you! :)

carzymathematician
03-26-2007, 01:10 PM
He definitely has more exam-caliber questions than JAM. Unfortunately, his manual (which is only 75% complete) will take quite some time to get through. It has approximately 615 pages and the font size is pbly 10 or there about so it's quite a bit of material! Pbly it would be more worthwhile to get Actex Manual- which I heard had a very good problem supplement for 8V- than the Goldfarb, if u're just inetersted in problem questions. Quite honestly, for my last coupla weeks I would prefer to just focus on good numerical probs and da study cards. If I do get the Actex, it will be out of my own pocket so if I don't have to get it, I wont. So if anyone can chip in with some feedback on Actex's problem guide I would definitely appreciate it!

carzymathematician
03-26-2007, 01:13 PM
By the way, how far along are you?? I've started to have panic attacks just thinking about how much work I have left to do :(

hershey220
03-26-2007, 03:21 PM
So if anyone can chip in with some feedback on Actex's problem guide I would definitely appreciate it!
I don't think Actex has a problem guide any more. He used to have the "Computational Review" for both C6 and 8v, which were great and I highly recommend them if you can get your hands on one. I plan on using mine and picking out the questions that are still relevant. I've heard that he just integrated the questions into his new Actex manual, but I don't have it so don't know for sure.

carzymathematician
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't think Actex has a problem guide any more. He used to have the "Computational Review" for both C6 and 8v, which were great and I highly recommend them if you can get your hands on one. I plan on using mine and picking out the questions that are still relevant. I've heard that he just integrated the questions into his new Actex manual, but I don't have it so don't know for sure.

I think I heard the same thing..which is fine as long as he still has the relevant questions from last year's book included this year!

veritech
03-27-2007, 10:48 AM
By the way, how far along are you?? I've started to have panic attacks just thinking about how much work I have left to do :(

i am reading the manual, 1st round... left some readings from 1st general read through(did not work out prolems) b/c i ran out of time...

Jy88
03-30-2007, 04:01 AM
Just would like to know if anyone has the Actex manual. As it refers to some excel files which I failed to find it anywhere. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sandi Lynn Scherer
03-30-2007, 03:00 PM
The spreadsheets are located in the Free Downloads section of the ACTEX Mad River Books Website www.ActexMadRiver.com

http://www.actexmadriver.com/client/client_pages/actex_downlods1.cfm

Jy88
03-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Sandi,

Thanks a lot for that :-p

Jy88
04-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Sandi,

Somehow, I couldn't locate the HFIS494 in the excel file. There is only one excel file to download right?

Thank you once again.