PDA

View Full Version : Product Line Manager

schaden
12-04-2001, 09:35 AM
If one is assigned to run a product line does that mean he/she is no longer an actuary. I would think the new responsibilities would become profitability, UW, sales, etc.. Any thoughts?

Patience
12-04-2001, 10:53 AM
If you maintain your continuing ed, you are still an actuary, though your responsibilities may not include actuarial duties. You may not wish to sign things & I've known some who removed actuary from their title since they didn't have actuarial responsibilities.

A doctor or lawyer doesn't lose the designation, even if doing unrelated work.

Ms. Re
12-04-2001, 11:57 AM
I think that you need to broaden your definition of an actuary, i.e., a person need not be a technician to be an actuary...so to me just because you've moved into management or broadened your responsibilities doesn't mean you are no longer an actuary...of course I'm assuming that you are employed in a "professional" field...for example, if you were in middle management by managing the middle counter an McDonalds I would not consider you an actuary!

Double High C
12-04-2001, 12:13 PM
On 2001-12-04 09:35, schaden wrote:
If one is assigned to run a product line does that mean he/she is no longer an actuary. I would think the new responsibilities would become profitability, UW, sales, etc.. Any thoughts?

The areas to which you refer all at least have an interrelationship with "actuariality" (in the narrow sense).

Profitability certainly is actuarial, and underwriting guidelines are a very important input into the pricing function. Sales certainly impact expenses relative to the business generated (based on any reasonable allocation), and any decision regarding sales should impact the ultimate outcome.