PDA

View Full Version : What's your background?

tbone
05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm in pension and am debating about taking the investments or retirement track. What's your background?

(1) Who's in retirement, and what are your thoughts about taking the investent/financial economics exams?

(2) If you're not in retirement, do you feel that your career path gives you an advantage over pension actuaries (more background knowledge/experience)?

campbell
05-31-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm not in retirement, (not exactly.... most of the work I do is with annuities, though, where people do actually annuitize), but I don't quite understand your second question. What do you mean by advantage? In terms of passing this exam?

In any case, I don't have enough experience to say anything about retirement actuaries vs. life vs. anything else.

rekrap
06-01-2007, 09:12 AM
By this point, you should realize that real-life experience provides little advantage in the theoretical exam material. :shake:

FWIW, I'm in life, but work primarily with UL policies, which like annuities are interest-rate sensitive, and we discuss investment strategies daily. So, I chose to take APM over ILA.

hardlife
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=tbone;2125494]I'm in pension and am debating about taking the investments or retirement track. What's your background?

(1) Who's in retirement, and what are your thoughts about taking the investent/financial economics exams?

it really depends on your career goal. if you would want to be in pension, studying for the retirement track would surely help you alot in your career. You would at least know more about FAS 87, 88, 106.
I am in pension and I would want to move to a different field. I could not take ILA since that would basically tell my boss that I am leaving. So Investments would be the closest.
Also do check out the new CERA designation. I thought the syllabus is "pretty close" to Investments and you get to gain 2 designations upon completion.

Caramel
06-08-2007, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=tbone;2125494]I'm in pension and am debating about taking the investments or retirement track. What's your background?

it really depends on your career goal. if you would want to be in pension, studying for the retirement track would surely help you alot in your career. You would at least know more about FAS 87, 88, 106.
I am in pension and I would want to move to a different field. I could not take ILA since that would basically tell my boss that I am leaving. So Investments would be the closest.
Also do check out the new CERA designation. I thought the syllabus is "pretty close" to Investments and you get to gain 2 designations upon completion.

I agreed with what Hardlife wrote.

Myself I am in Pension, but I decided to write Investment track because I find the study materials more interesting. If I will have to be stuck and studying for something over many months, I'd choose something that I find fun...

Also, my employer is indifferent with respect of which track that actuarial students write, a FSA designation regardless of the professional track, can still sign actuarial valuation reports.

Another reason for me not to write pension exam is to have a chance to diversify/open new doors later on in my career.