PDA

View Full Version : Names on a car title

Pseudolus
09-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Any strong reasons for or against both spouses names being on the title(s) of their car(s)?

tommie frazier
09-04-2007, 12:25 AM
divorce proceedings.

credit build-up

planned DUI's

that's all I got

Lee Mellon
09-04-2007, 12:32 AM
One name means only one signature needed to sell later.

Samantha
09-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Any strong reasons for or against both spouses names being on the title(s) of their car(s)?

I don't think it would matter much in the division of property in a divorce (and I doubt that's a concern for you anyway)

Not the car he drives now, but the one before, BH picked it out, but then wasn't there for the actual purchase of it (I forget why). So since I was the one to make the purchase, my name was on the title. Made it handy for renewing registration, since I could take care of it with mine and we both didn't have to bother taking off work and hanging out at the DMV.

The car he has now, I wasn't there when he bought, so it's just his name on the title. He has to take care of registrations himself. (But these days, you can renew online)

When you go to sell the car, the name(s) on the title have to sign it although that may vary by state.

Hmmm ... I'm not coming up with anything compelling one way or the other.

If it's a joint purchase and one or both parties just feel better having both names on the title, I see no reason not to. :shrug:

dinosaur
09-04-2007, 10:06 AM

TTIA! do you know me?

anyway, my ex-wife came back from Iraq two weeks ago and we both traded in our cars for new ones. we had both of our names on each of the titles so here is the IMPORTANT piece of information:

if your names on the title are "OR" (i.e. Jane B. Scholes OR Iam B. Scholes) then there is no big deal here. either party can sell the car without the other needing be present or signing off on it. i was the Primary on both titles but that did not matter other than financing.

if you names on the title are "AND" (i.e. Jane F. Prime AND Max F. Prime) then BOTH parties need to be present and sign off on the change in title. this is the route i've had to go through since my Canadian Goose killing machine had both our names with the AND. unfortuantely she left for Kansas before i sold mine and is traveling for the next two months.

my piece of advice, go with the OR and don't get a divorce.....i mean married! (i know someone will want to IFYP).

ciao!

ajstudies
09-04-2007, 11:19 AM
I would guess it depends on the laws of your state. Where I live what's mine is his and what's his is mine so it really didn't matter whose name was on the title. And either of us have done the registration with no problem; as long as you are paying they don't really care whose name it is. You don't even have to show id, I don't think, just proof of insurance.

09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
I would guess it depends on the laws of your state. Where I live what's mine is his and what's his is mine so it really didn't matter whose name was on the title. And either of us have done the registration with no problem; as long as you are paying they don't really care whose name it is. You don't even have to show id, I don't think, just proof of insurance.I think here in MN you don't even have to show proof of insurance, you just have to swear on your catalytic converter that you actually have it. (I think it's a recent (last 10 years) change.)

Frenchie
09-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I don't think it would matter much in the division of property in a divorce (and I doubt that's a concern for you anyway)

It matters a whole heck of a lot in divorce proceedings. No, not when you're sitting down w/attorneys to decide who gets what, but when you go to re-register vehicles. My ex-hubby and I were both on the title to my car. I got the car in the divorce, no problems there. When I moved to NJ, and subsequently CT, I could NOT get my car registered in either state, despite having a copy of the divorce decree saying I was awarded the car. My credit union, where I financed it, could not legally remove ex-hubby from title. NJ & CT refused to send a request to the credit union to register the vehicle in my name (CU said they would send a response agreeing to that, but couldn't send a letter requesting the states do that for legal reasons). I went 2+ years w/o a registered car b/c I couldn't go back to GA and register it there since I wasn't a resident. Tracked down ex-hubby at one point and he readily agreed to sign the car over to me, but NJ refused to send the title back to CU and expected ex to come to NJ to sign the title :roll:. It wasn't until I got to FL that someone was able to find a state law here that allowed them to register in my name w/proof of divorce settlement.

Granted, my issue was probably the worst case scenario, but in general, for registration reasons, you may want to choose 1 person to be on the title. Also, I think you may be allowed to do it similar to joint bank accounts and use a Mr. OR Mrs. wording instead of a Mr. AND Mrs. wording to help get rid of issues.

ETA: I guess you can do the OR/AND thing according to dinosaur's post.

Barbara
09-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I can't see a good reason to put more than one name on the title, unless you are afraid that the other person will try to sell the car without your OK. If that's the case, you have bigger problems than just a car title.

My husband and I have always had one car titled in each of our names. It just makes life easier. That did confuse the dealer, though, when we bought my last car -- after we both test drove it, and together negotiated a price, he had a hard time believing us that it would be my car and in my name only. The "notice of recall" and "come in for a special deal on an oil change" letters we periodically get come addressed to my husband.

I do feel that a house should be titled in both names, but that's mainly because for most families their house is their single greatest asset and should be jointly owned. Maybe if I had the kind of lifestyle where we owned multiple houses, I'd feel differently.

GadgetGeek
09-04-2007, 02:48 PM
If the car was in only one of your names and that person was to die, that car might be in limbo for a while while the estate is settled.

Valkyrie
09-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I had a car with a TX title in both our names. I tried to sell it with a General POA for him while he was deployed. Carmax required a Special POA in stead. I went through hell to get them that.
I simply wanted to buy him a nicer vehicle before he got back.
He deserved it.

Patience
09-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Insurance paperwork and other such much easier with needing only one person to sign

Pseudolus
09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks all for the replies. I think it'll just be my name on the title. One loan company we were considering wanted my wife's name on the loan (and title) as well as mine, probably because my stay-at-home-dad income (measured mostly in "the nasty") isn't very good collateral, for some reason. But the company that came back with the lowest rate is fine with just my name, so we'll probably go with that.

Gentle Giant
09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I must have missed some news way back, Pseud. Didn't you give up your actuarial career to be a physics teacher? I thought you were still doing that.

remilard
09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I must have missed some news way back, Pseud. Didn't you give up your actuarial career to be a physics teacher? I thought you were still doing that.

You do miss some news which I will innacurately paraphrase now. Pseud did leave actuarialism to teach and then he left teaching (full time) to be a SAHD. He still teaches on the weekends in some sort of program for kids who got duped into learning on the weekends.

Pseudolus
09-04-2007, 04:42 PM
You do miss some news which I will innacurately paraphrase now. Pseud did leave actuarialism to teach and then he left teaching (full time) to be a SAHD. He still teaches on the weekends in some sort of program for kids who got duped into learning on the weekends.
Basically. You just left out that I am now slumming in the math department, as the program (for urban yutes) I'm working in does not include a science component.