PDA

View Full Version : Should a groin pull hurt my testicle?

Eddie
09-17-2007, 11:43 AM
I thought I pulled my groin yesterday (upper inner left thigh) but I have this lingering pain in my left testicle too so now I'm not sure if it's the groin muscle or just a testicle thing that is shooting down my leg a little. Is this normal for a groin pull? I've had them before and don't remember this affect. I looked online and didn't see this particular issue addressed. Plus I was starting to get queasy reading about testicle pain while having the pain.

Thanks!

Klaymen
09-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Whatever it is, be sure to have it named after you when they learn what it is.

tometom
09-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Yes, or at least in my own experience. I thought I had a hernia because it hurt so bad, but the doctor said it was just a pulled groin.

llcooljabe
09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Whatever it is, make sure you don't lose the sale! Thanks!

ReserveRage
09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I thought I pulled my groin yesterday (upper inner left thigh) but I have this lingering pain in my left testicle too so now I'm not sure if it's the groin muscle or just a testicle thing that is shooting down my leg a little. Is this normal for a groin pull? I've had them before and don't remember this affect. I looked online and didn't see this particular issue addressed. Plus I was starting to get queasy reading about testicle pain while having the pain.

Thanks!

It could be either: the groin or testicle causing pain to both. I'd wait a couple days before doing anything. If it's a mild, dull pain, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Sotally Tober
09-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Yes, entirely possible. I once pulled one so badly that I actually felt some pain up into my lower abdomen on the side I pulled.

Stay off it entirely, for plenty of time, and monitor the pain. I'd think that if it doesn't go away, or at least lessen significantly in about a week, see a doc. The groin may still be sore after a week though.

tommie frazier
09-17-2007, 12:16 PM
stay off the testicle?

JAS
09-17-2007, 12:28 PM
stay off the testicle?
:lol: That's how I read it too.

Westley
09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
There's a name - refered pain? - for the phenomenon that says you may not have any pain in your testicle, but there's enough pain in your groin that your brain can't tell the difference. I forget how it works, but have had substantial issues around problem teeth where this scared the crap out of me, to where it once was a problem with an upper rear tooth and it would hurt when I touched my chin, and I insisted that there was pain there but my dentist said let's wait and see if it still hurts after the tooth is ok, and he was right.

egg
09-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I pulled a groin last year -- had no testicle pain. It could also be a hernia. Get thee to a doctor.

Renaissance Man
09-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I've had groin pulls with and without testicular pain. I would keep an eye on things and get to a doctor if the pain persists for longer than a few days and/or anything changes color or becomes/remains inflamed.

Surfohio
09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
See a doctor if you get an erection lasting more than four hours.

GoHuskies
09-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Not if it's done properly! :rimshot:

Eddie
09-23-2007, 10:22 PM
So I rested it a week and even though it still hurt a bit I decided to play anyway. I was kind of half-assing it but it still hurt.

Any good remedies besides ice? Should I do ice/heat combo???

Keef
09-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Any good remedies besides ice?

Accupuncture. (To the groin, not the testicle)

JBGolf35
09-23-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm going to be the overkill dad here (at 22) and say go to a doctor still. I had a close friend who had an inguinal hernia, so getting that taken care of early is better. A close family friend also passed away from testicular cancer at a very young age. Chances are your pain is completely related to your groin injury, but don't take chances. Not worth it at all.

JBGolf35
09-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I say this as I've avoided going to the doctor for 2 months for a probable muscle tear in my knee because I have the high deductible plan and a cracked windshield I want to fix.

Pseudolus
09-23-2007, 10:48 PM
TTIUWP

Eddie
09-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I went to the doctor for another injury last summer just to be safe and felt really lame when he told me it was what I thought it was and there was nothing more to do that what I'd been doing.

This has to be a sports injury because I was playing when it happened. I didn't notice it happening at the time, which is odd,but in the middle of the game I realized I must have pulled a muslce or got hit in the nuts and just didn't realize it when it happened.

I hate getting old(er).

I'll go to a doctor this week if no improvement I guess. My wife will probably make me anyway.

Eddie
09-23-2007, 10:52 PM
TTIUWP
That's so gay.

ReserveRage
09-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I went to the doctor for another injury last summer just to be safe and felt really lame when he told me it was what I thought it was and there was nothing more to do that what I'd been doing.

That's why all those people who cry to see a doctor at the littlest inconvenience annoy the heck out of me. It's extremely doubtful that you have testicular cancer or any life threatening injury. It certainly sounds like a groin pull which can linger for a very, very long time.

atomic
09-24-2007, 03:19 AM
There's a name - refered pain? - for the phenomenon that says you may not have any pain in your testicle, but there's enough pain in your groin that your brain can't tell the difference. I forget how it works, but have had substantial issues around problem teeth where this scared the crap out of me, to where it once was a problem with an upper rear tooth and it would hurt when I touched my chin, and I insisted that there was pain there but my dentist said let's wait and see if it still hurts after the tooth is ok, and he was right.

An example of referred pain is when a nerve gets damaged in a location that does not correspond to the sensory site of that nerve. For instance, damage to a nerve in the arm can cause pain in the hand or fingers, but no pain at the actual site of injury. The hand is perfectly fine--it is sending totally normal nerve impulses. But the brain interprets the pain signals from the damaged site as coming from the hand.

The groin area is densely populated with nerve endings. This is why it is not always accurate to make assessments of injuries on the basis of where the pain seems to be emanating.

Eddie
09-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Yes, entirely possible. I once pulled one so badly that I actually felt some pain up into my lower abdomen on the side I pulled.

Oh, yeah, I have that too.
How long did it last?

Browncoat
09-24-2007, 11:23 AM
"Should a groin pull hurt my testicle?" is a much different question than "Should a groin pull my hurt testicle?"

Just FYI. . .

Oh, and I can confirm the existance of refered pain. I had kidney stones that manifested themselves as testicular pain. I was sure I had testicular cancer--why else would they hurt for no reason?

BTW, Kidney stones? Painful. I don't recommend getting them.

Eddie
09-24-2007, 11:28 AM
"Should a groin pull hurt my testicle?" is a much different question than "Should a groin pull my hurt testicle?"

Just FYI. . .

Oh, and I can confirm the existance of refered pain. I had kidney stones that manifested themselves as testicular pain. I was sure I had testicular cancer--why else would they hurt for no reason?

BTW, Kidney stones? Painful. I don't recommend getting them.

Keeping this as two posts would have been better for post count.

ReserveRage
09-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I was sure I had testicular cancer--why else would they hurt for no reason

I've actually heard you don't feel much pain with testicular cancer, which is why the self adminstered exams are so important.

Browncoat
09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Keeping this as two posts would have been better for post count.

Yes, but I don't care about my post count. I only post when I have something *really* important to say.