PDA

View Full Version : For people who did both the JAM live and online seminar

examwritter
11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Would you please share some experience? Do they use the same material? What's the extra benefit for attending the live seminar?

My company is not paying for the seminar cost so I am debating on whether to attend the live seminar. If the online seminar covers all the material that will be distributed in the live seminar, then I can save some money there.

Can someone please kindly reply?

CDD
12-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I would definitely opt for the online version of the seminar. I had a friend who attended both the live and online versions of Carmody's APM and he said the material in the two was the same.

I attended Carmody's live seminars for Courses 5 and 6. It seemed that he spent about 30% to 40% of the time simply reading from his condensed outline, which was a huge waste of time. However, the practice problems and exam-taking advice he gave were very helpful.

I opted for the online version of the APM seminar last spring and, again, he spent a good deal of time just reading from his notes. But this time I could fast-forward. Like his course 5 and 6 seminars he provided a large number of great practice problems. (I don't remember how much exam-taking advice he gave; if it was there I probably skipped it since by the time I took APM I was a written-exam veteran.)

I don't see much benefit to attending the live seminar. One could argue that it forces you to cover the material earlier (i.e., trying to get all the reading done before you attend). I will admit that although I set a doable schedule for getting through Carmody's online lessons I was behind all last winter/spring; I didn't view the last lesson until just a few days before the exam (which was about a month later than I wanted). I also hear some people say that they learn better when cramming it all in over five days. Of course you could still cram it in with the online version, but as a bonus you'd have access to the lessons if you realized later that the cramming didn't work.

examwritter
12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
I would definitely opt for the online version of the seminar. I had a friend who attended both the live and online versions of Carmody's APM and he said the material in the two was the same.

I attended Carmody's live seminars for Courses 5 and 6. It seemed that he spent about 30% to 40% of the time simply reading from his condensed outline, which was a huge waste of time. However, the practice problems and exam-taking advice he gave were very helpful.

I opted for the online version of the APM seminar last spring and, again, he spent a good deal of time just reading from his notes. But this time I could fast-forward. Like his course 5 and 6 seminars he provided a large number of great practice problems. (I don't remember how much exam-taking advice he gave; if it was there I probably skipped it since by the time I took APM I was a written-exam veteran.)

I don't see much benefit to attending the live seminar. One could argue that it forces you to cover the material earlier (i.e., trying to get all the reading done before you attend). I will admit that although I set a doable schedule for getting through Carmody's online lessons I was behind all last winter/spring; I didn't view the last lesson until just a few days before the exam (which was about a month later than I wanted). I also hear some people say that they learn better when cramming it all in over five days. Of course you could still cram it in with the online version, but as a bonus you'd have access to the lessons if you realized later that the cramming didn't work.

Thanks for your advise! Here is the reply I got from Mike Carmody in case someone else might be interested:
"The same material is covered in both the live and online seminar. The live seminar is better for seeing how all the parts of the syllabus fit together. It also allows you to ask questions and interact with other people taking the exam."

Caramel
12-04-2007, 05:03 PM

I assumed you passed APM with online seminar? Since you confirmed it's a good option to save travelling cost and study/review at your own pace and can always hit rewind bottom?

CDD
12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes, I did pass APM.

campbell
12-12-2007, 02:49 PM
FWIW, I did the online seminar and got the manual for May 2007. I passed.

examwritter
12-14-2007, 06:28 PM
FWIW, I did the online seminar and got the manual for May 2007. I passed.

Did you use the online seminar at the end after you finished reading everything or along the way? Thanks.

campbell
12-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Did you use the online seminar at the end after you finished reading everything or along the way? Thanks.

Sorry, I've been out of town.

I started studying in November 2006 for the spring 2007 exam, and the JAM online seminar wasn't available til January. So I did quite a bit of reading before the watching the seminar sessions. However, once the sessions were up, I usually did the readings right before watching the sessions (and in a few cases, they substituted for doing the readings., but that was for just a few items.) I used the sessions heavily for review in the week before the exam.

examwritter
12-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Sorry, I've been out of town.

I started studying in November 2006 for the spring 2007 exam, and the JAM online seminar wasn't available til January. So I did quite a bit of reading before the watching the seminar sessions. However, once the sessions were up, I usually did the readings right before watching the sessions (and in a few cases, they substituted for doing the readings., but that was for just a few items.) I used the sessions heavily for review in the week before the exam.

Thanks a lot for the study tips :toast:
I will study my ass off in the next 5 months:P

fhockey
01-02-2008, 06:14 AM

Just to clarify your above post. Could you fast forward through the online seminar? I checked the sample videos, and I could not fast forward through the seminar. I am not sure if that was the case since it was a sample or because of windows media player, or because of some other reason.

Also I could not maximize the screen in all of the sample videos, which was annoying. Could you maximize the screen?

campbell
01-02-2008, 06:42 AM
As far as I know, you cannot fastforward/rewind with Windows Media format of the videos, or resize them. I was able to do both with the Quicktime version of the videos.

Here are some related threads from the TIA forum here:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=105630
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=113967

It's best to ask technical questions in the TIA forum (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168), because Day Yi (Mo' 5) and James Washer (BamaGambler) (who can best answer these questions) keep a watch on those, and not so much on the individual exam threads.