PDA

View Full Version : JAM seminar

han72
12-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know if the tuition for the seminar covers the study manual or we have to order it separately from the bookstore? Thanks.

rekrap
12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Seperate. There will be a condensed outline handed out at the seminar, IIRC.

campbell
12-12-2007, 02:36 PM
If you do the online seminar (see my signature), you get supporting materials/outlines that are separate from the regular JAM manual.

I got both the JAM manual and did the online seminar for May 2007 APMV.

han72
12-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, I did sign up for both the live and the online seminar.
Is the supporting materials/outlines you are referring to different
from the JAM manual?

FrankieY18
12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
So I don't think the seminar helps at all?

campbell
12-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Well, I did sign up for both the live and the online seminar.
Is the supporting materials/outlines you are referring to different
from the JAM manual?

Yes, they're different. Similar (hard not to be), but different.

campbell
12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
So I don't think the seminar helps at all?

How so? I'm not sure where you're drawing that from.

Different people study differently. I preferred the online seminar over the live seminar, due to being able to do it in the wee small hours of the morning, and because I could replay videos any number of times. Some people prefer a live seminar because you need to have done a certain amount of studying before it, and then your butt is in a seat for a specified time at a specified time, and thus provides some studying discipline. Also, you can ask questions of Carmody in real time. A live seminar wasn't convenient to me for personal reasons.

But there's nothing precluding you from doing both. They have different strengths, and doing both can be synergistic, just as I used the JAM manual for review while I was commuting and used the videos for explanations (and review) when I was at home.

Laurelinda
12-20-2007, 07:05 PM
But there's nothing precluding you from doing both. They have different strengths, and doing both can be synergistic, just as I used the JAM manual for review while I was commuting and used the videos for explanations (and review) when I was at home.

Mary, for budget reasons I'm not going to be able to do either the live or the online seminar. As someone who did the online version as a self-study aid, what advice would you give someone who will have to rely entirely on self-study?

campbell
12-21-2007, 05:38 AM
A few things (for 8V I didn't do a seminar, but I did have a manual):
1) make outlines for each reading, and note cards, etc. I find just making the outlines and cards helps get stuff in my memory
2) make sure you understand what the readings say...
3) ....and if you don't understand the reading, come here to the AO and ask about it. People are really good at helping each other figure out what's going on.

Those are the main things. Also, make a schedule for yourself for reading (I think Carmody usually has a schedule he posts), and try to stick to it. One of the largest problems with these huge exams is getting through all the readings.

Laurelinda
12-21-2007, 12:21 PM
A few things (for 8V I didn't do a seminar, but I did have a manual):
1) make outlines for each reading, and note cards, etc. I find just making the outlines and cards helps get stuff in my memory
2) make sure you understand what the readings say...
3) ....and if you don't understand the reading, come here to the AO and ask about it. People are really good at helping each other figure out what's going on.

Thanks, that sounds very normal! I never went to a seminar for any of the prelims, so I've had sort of a black box I-have-no-idea-what-crucial-thing-I'm-going-to-miss-by-not-going feeling. More confident now. :tup:

campbell
12-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I've also had this advice up for a while now:
http://wiki.mathuniverse.com/index.php?title=Studying_philosophy_for_actuarial_ exams#Preparing_for_written_exams

I will eventually be updating that advice due to my experience grading exams, but I have to get it vetted from some SOA people to make sure I'm not giving away information I shouldn't be.

Laurelinda
12-21-2007, 02:55 PM
That's awesome, thanks. I'm going to bump your advice thread for any other newbies. I've received a lot of advice, but none of it made that much sense, and in one place. :tup:

The Smokin' Cracktuary
12-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know how the registration process works?

I see the bit on the JAM website about the combined live and online seminars. Does that mean if I send hima check for $1200 I will be signed up for both? If so, how will I recieve info on how to start the online part?

or,

Do I send Carmody a check for $975 and wait for a confirmation number and then go to the infinite actuary and sign up for the online part myself using the confirmation number to get the discount?

In either case, do I really have to wait until Carmody gets my check before I can start the online part?

The JAM website is not clear on how exactly to sign up for both, or what is entailed. It wasn't clear on any of this as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know exactly how this will work?

TiderInsider
12-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Send Carmody a $1200 check and then email James or Day at IA and tell them you've sent it. I'm sure they will work something out with you.

Will Durant
12-28-2007, 02:17 PM
So who all are going to the Hartford seminar Mar 11-15?

namssa
12-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I'll be going to the Hartford seminar from 3/7-3/11.

Will Durant
12-28-2007, 03:10 PM
:duh:

Not me, I like to attend seminars after the instructor has gone back home.

Caramel
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Does anyone know how the registration process works?

I see the bit on the JAM website about the combined live and online seminars. Does that mean if I send hima check for $1200 I will be signed up for both? If so, how will I recieve info on how to start the online part?

My understanding of the seminar registration is that, by paying $1200, candidate gets ONLY online seminar; while $975 gives you the live-seminar.

I don't think by paying $1200, one gets both online access and live seminar...

Am I wrong? I just sent my $975 cheque out today base on this assumption.

Thanks!

rekrap
01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
My understanding of the seminar registration is that, by paying $1200, candidate gets ONLY online seminar; while $975 gives you the live-seminar.

I don't think by paying $1200, one gets both online access and live seminar...

Am I wrong? I just sent my $975 cheque out today base on this assumption.

Thanks!

1200 gets you both. 975 gets you live, 1075 gets you online only.

The point of the online is to either replace or supplement the live.
("The online seminar will cost $225 if you sign up for the JAM live seminar first.")

Caramel
01-04-2008, 09:41 AM
1200 gets you both. 975 gets you live, 1075 gets you online only.

The point of the online is to either replace or supplement the live.
("The online seminar will cost $225 if you sign up for the JAM live seminar first.")

Thanks Rekrap!
I contacted Mr. Carmody and asked him if I can pay him an additional amount of $225 to have access of the online seminar, and he directed me to The Infinite Actuary. I proceed to contact TIA and requested for the "discount code".

Now I really have no excuse for dragging my study, even though I am still in the Christmas/New Year mode...

goodluck
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Is anyone interested in sharing a room and splitting the costs. I'm going to CT's seminar. Please, pm me.

TiderInsider
03-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I'll be going to the Hartford seminar from 3/7-3/11.Rollcall:
namssa
TiderInsider
Will D
anyone else? We should arrange an AO meeting in the hotel bar one night.

namssa
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm in for the meeting at the bar any/every night of the seminar. Let me know what night works.

Mr. BoH
03-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I'll be there. I'll be the one who is completely confused by everything Carmody is saying. :grin:

remilard
03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I want to thank you Hartford seminar people again for getting Carmody warmed up for the big event in Chicago!

Will Durant
03-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm in for the meeting at the bar any/every night of the seminar. Let me know what night works.
Ditto

Will Durant
03-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I will be at one of the tables outside our conference room tonight after I get back from dinner around 8:30pm.