PDA

View Full Version : JAM Study Manual

Will Durant
12-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I am not impressed so far. The old JAM5 and JAM6 manuals demonstrated a much greater mastery of the material. This APM manual seems to have been written by somebody who does not understand the syllabus as well as I do (i.e., I think my own summary is better than the guide). I've only gotten as far as page 17 and already found two errors.

Will Durant
12-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, I'm studying on Christmas morning.

Car'a'carn
12-25-2007, 01:23 PM
I haven't been impressed with it either, but since Goldfarb's manual will not be ready until Feb. 1, I am still using it. Besides Golfarb does not make a good job, imo, on the summaries either, but is very good at explaining, so I will probably stick with both.

Will Durant
12-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I haven't been impressed with it either, but since Goldfarb's manual will not be ready until Feb. 1, I am still using it. Besides Golfarb does not make a good job, imo, on the summaries either, but is very good at explaining, so I will probably stick with both.
I've liked Macciolo (Actex) in the past, so I am probably going to pick that one up when it comes out.

Car'a'carn
12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I've liked Macciolo (Actex) in the past, so I am probably going to pick that one up when it comes out.

I hated Actex for 1-4 exams and never used it for the essay ones. Do they explain, or just trow bunch of formulae as usual?

Will Durant
12-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I hated Actex for 1-4 exams and never used it for the essay ones. Do they explain, or just trow bunch of formulae as usual?
Macciolo's guides for 6 and 8V were very good; I have not seen the APM one but if it's up to his usual standards it should be very helpful. I got JAM because it came out first. My company only pays for one guide, but I will probably buy Actex anyway.

I agree with you re Actex 1-4 not being very good, and the Actex 5 manual by Brown & Sharp was so bad it actually crossed my mind to sue to get my money back.

beck
12-25-2007, 07:36 PM
i got Goldfarb.... had a serious thought of getting JAM though

so far i like Goldfarb's manual, lots of questions, but the final version would not be avaiable until Feb 1st.... and also he's not offering a seminar this year for APM....

Car'a'carn
12-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Macciolo's guides for 6 and 8V were very good; I have not seen the APM one but if it's up to his usual standards it should be very helpful. I got JAM because it came out first. My company only pays for one guide, but I will probably buy Actex anyway.

I agree with you re Actex 1-4 not being very good, and the Actex 5 manual by Brown & Sharp was so bad it actually crossed my mind to sue to get my money back.

I am in the same boat, the company byus one manual, and I will buy Goldfarb. It has lots of questions, JAM got lists, hoping to get enough from both of them. I used only JAM for FET, because I realized too late that I need Goldfarb too. Hopefully I survived it, but I am not taking chances this time.

i got Goldfarb.... had a serious thought of getting JAM though

so far i like Goldfarb's manual, lots of questions, but the final version would not be avaiable until Feb 1st.... and also he's not offering a seminar this year for APM....

There are few threads about Goldfarb seminars and people did not sound happy at all about them. Carmody's seminar for 6 was great, so I am still trying to decide whether to sign for one.

Laurelinda
12-25-2007, 08:34 PM
I am in the same boat, the company byus one manual, and I will buy Goldfarb. It has lots of questions, JAM got lists, hoping to get enough from both of them. I used only JAM for FET, because I realized too late that I need Goldfarb too. Hopefully I survived it, but I am not taking chances this time.
There are few threads about Goldfarb seminars and people did not sound happy at all about them. Carmody's seminar for 6 was great, so I am still trying to decide whether to sign for one.

One of my coworkers swears by everything Carmody. He passed APM on the first try and was impressed at how well the JAM manual understood the format and content of the exam itself...so I went with JAM. Haven't seen it yet, though, so I hope I'm not making a bad choice. :shrug:

beck
12-25-2007, 09:42 PM
btw i'm gonna get JAM flashcards when they come out....
first using Goldfarb's questions/detaills for understanding
then use JAM's flashcards for memorization

hamstrman
12-26-2007, 11:33 AM
What a great thread to read about. Since I'm not waiting until February for a study manual, I suppose I'm stuck with it. I think the JAM manual is fine, but of course only someone who knows the material better than the manual would know it wasn't that great.

examwritter
12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
btw i'm gonna get JAM flashcards when they come out....
first using Goldfarb's questions/detaills for understanding
then use JAM's flashcards for memorization

Are flashcards really that important?? I thought they are similar to the condensed summary. Correct me if I am wrong. My company doesn't cover the flashcards cost so i didn't order ....let me know if it is that helpful. Thanks:)

Will Durant
12-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I like mine. When I am at home my wife quizzes me from the condensed outline, but I use the flash cards to quiz myself - especially on planes.

For 5 and 6 I made my own, but there's too much material for this one so I am going to buy JAM cards.

Laurelinda
12-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Are flashcards really that important?? I thought they are similar to the condensed summary. Correct me if I am wrong. My company doesn't cover the flashcards cost so i didn't order ....let me know if it is that helpful. Thanks:)

I've been told they're good enough that you'll find some exam questions basically asking for the contents of a given JAM flashcard. I have yet to verify that for myself, but by the time I do, we'll both be out of time. :tup:

campbell
12-29-2007, 07:46 AM
At this level, few questions will be just flashcard-contained-type questions (look at this year's APMV, and previous years' 8Vs); however, many times questions will have one part that's essentially spitting out something that would be on a flashcard.

Also -- Laurelinda, wine may be better than beer (I agree), but you didn't answer the question asked. 0 points. Check the course of reading and the illustrative solution (by my name). ;)

Laurelinda
12-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Also -- Laurelinda, wine may be better than beer (I agree), but you didn't answer the question asked. 0 points. Check the course of reading and the illustrative solution (by my name). ;)

:lol:

I had a favorite beer listed since I've been on AO, but my boss has used it to make fun of how I don't know anything about beer and he needs to give me "a beer education". So I gave up, since 0 pts is better than the negative points I'm sick of getting. ;)

campbell
12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
:lol:

I had a favorite beer listed since I've been on AO, but my boss has used it to make fun of how I don't know anything about beer and he needs to give me "a beer education". So I gave up, since 0 pts is better than the negative points I'm sick of getting. ;)

Luckily, we don't give negative points for anything on the exams.

Laurelinda
12-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Luckily, we don't give negative points for anything on the exams.

My original choice was a stout from a local microbrewery, btw. :tup: My boss is a Continental snob, but I'm Scotch-Irish.

campbell
12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
:capn:

I suppose he preferred Belgian brews.....blah. Too yeasty.

I'll just say I prefer ales, and most of what's produced at microbreweries is simply yummy.

Laurelinda
12-31-2007, 03:49 PM

You got it...

Now getting this thread back on track...I've used the JAM manual for a few days now and think it's very helpful as an outline to keep me focused while I read the texts. It isn't like the comprehensive manuals I used for the prelims, but I didn't expect it to be, so I'm happy with it over all. :shrug:

remilard
12-31-2007, 03:55 PM
:capn:

:shake:

I'll just say I prefer ales, and most of what's produced at microbreweries is simply yummy.

:toast:

I just ordered my JAM APM manual and books. Sounds like everyone else already started; I need to hurry up and beat Super Mario Galaxy before my stuff arrives.