PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational words for someone in the hospital

3tac
02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Ok, so my brother-in-law had a serious accident this past weekend and is now in the ICU. The hospital has a website where you can send little messages to a patient and a volunteer prints them out and reads them to the patient. I have just been sending "hang in there", "you can do it", etc messages but was thinking of sending more inspirational type messages every couple of days. I have searched the web but have found mostly inspirational/motivational words for business, general life situations, death of a loved one, etc. Nothing seems to quite fit this situation.

Thoughts?

ElDucky
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM
When you're outta traction you'll get some action

Samantha
02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Ok, so my brother-in-law had a serious accident this past weekend and is now in the ICU. The hospital has a website where you can send little messages to a patient and a volunteer prints them out and reads them to the patient. I have just been sending "hang in there", "you can do it", etc messages but was thinking of sending more inspirational type messages every couple of days. I have searched the web but have found mostly inspirational/motivational words for business, general life situations, death of a loved one, etc. Nothing seems to quite fit this situation.

Thoughts?

How close are you? And is he coherent enough to listen to something longer? You might try telling him how much he means to you via an anecdote that he will appreciate. Or just lift his spirits with a story about something fun or funny you've done together. You didn't give many details about his condition or prognosis, but:

"Remember that time ... :blah: ... well, it really meant a lot to me because ..."

"Remember when we ... :blah: ... that was so much fun, man. I can't wait until you're back on your feet and we can do that again! ... "

Loner
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM

Thoughts?

First, I'm sorry to hear about your BIL and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

As for this website thing- Anything beyond "Thinking of you" or "Get well soon" seems kind of patronizing/excessively cheesy to me. I think we've gone overboard as a society with the touchy-feely up-with-people crap.

If your BIL is into that sorta stuff(some people are), knock yourself out. If he's not, it seems more like you're forcing this stuff on a captive audience and maybe you should just stick to notes telling him what's going on in your life and that you're looking forward to his return from the hospital. JMO.

hellomath
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Sorry about your BIL.

I generally don't care for Oprah, but she had a great guest about a couple of month. His name is Randy Pausch, who is a computer science professor from Carnegie Mellon. He had terminal cancer but still goes around giving his final speeches. IMO, his speech is very inspirational. You can find his speech on youtube.

Good luck with your BIL.

Maine-iac
02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Very sorry to hear about your BIL.

- If he is spiritual, I think prayers might be the way to go.
- If not, be sure, as Loner points out, that he appreciates inspirational/motivational stuff. Some people really respond to it, and others really resent it.

If he is responsive to inspirational quotes, here's one:

When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. ~Harriet Beecher Stowe

3tac
02-27-2008, 03:18 PM
How close are you? And is he coherent enough to listen to something longer? You might try telling him how much he means to you via an anecdote that he will appreciate. Or just lift his spirits with a story about something fun or funny you've done together. You didn't give many details about his condition or prognosis, but:

"Remember that time ... :blah: ... well, it really meant a lot to me because ..."

"Remember when we ... :blah: ... that was so much fun, man. I can't wait until you're back on your feet and we can do that again! ... "

That would be a good idea but we're not that close (on a personal or geographical level) so I wouldn't have any big stories to share.

First, I'm sorry to hear about your BIL and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

As for this website thing- Anything beyond "Thinking of you" or "Get well soon" seems kind of patronizing/excessively cheesy to me. I think we've gone overboard as a society with the touchy-feely up-with-people crap.

If your BIL is into that sorta stuff(some people are), knock yourself out. If he's not, it seems more like you're forcing this stuff on a captive audience and maybe you should just stick to notes telling him what's going on in your life and that you're looking forward to his return from the hospital. JMO.

That has been a bit of a concern to me. He's more of the rugged type and I wouldn't want to come across as cheesy. He and I only talk once every now and then and even then only for a few minutes. Guess I am just struggling to come up with things to say and thought something inspirational would fit...maybe I should rethink that!

BTW, the brief back story here is that he had his hand severed completely off by a power saw. I will spare you the gory details, as they make me cringe just to think about.

_BullDog_
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
then you should send him one of those hats that have the clapping hands on it to wear to sporting events.

General Apathy
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
send him pictures of pretty girls

Browncoat
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that'll work. The nurse can describe the knockers on the babes you send. :roll:

Loner
02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Yikes. Were they able to reattach it?

Dr T Non-Fan
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
"You've looked worse."

If it was his right hand, get him a bunch of left-handed stuff.

_BullDog_
02-27-2008, 04:42 PM
How are you feeling?

Ohel Moed
02-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Sorry about your BIL.

I generally don't care for Oprah, but she had a great guest about a couple of months ago. His name is Randy Pausch, who is a computer science professor from Carnegie Mellon. He had terminal cancer but still goes around giving his final speeches. IMO, his speech is very inspirational. You can find his speech on youtube.

Good luck with your BIL.
:iatp: -- good even for "rugged" guys.

2PacsHotSister
02-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I have just been sending "hang in there" ... messages...

Seriously, I would not send anything that implies use of his hands.

Kenshiro
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
:iatp: -- good even for "rugged" guys.

So your advice is to type out the speech of some dude who died?

This would make you feel better if you were in the hospital?

micaelagb
02-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Remind him that he can claim 25% of the principal sum of his AD&D!

Srsly, very sorry to hear about your BIL. Hope he recovers well.