PDA

View Full Version : IFRS vs US GAAP

andrewabert
04-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi, can anybody tell me how much we're expected to know about the stuff from the study notes on the difference between IFRS and US GAAP?

namssa
04-13-2008, 09:02 AM
I just skipped this paper. I found the descriptions to be to vague to be of any use or even to understand what it meant in some cases. The only way that I could see to prepare for this comparison on the exam would be to memorize the entire comparison word for word. I just don't see that as being a good use of my time.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I just skipped this paper. I found the descriptions to be to vague to be of any use or even to understand what it meant in some cases. The only way that I could see to prepare for this comparison on the exam would be to memorize the entire comparison word for word. I just don't see that as being a good use of my time.

Ditto 100%

I didn't even read it. As you said, the only thing they could expect you to do is memorize it. Especially given that it's not in paragraph form.

If they do ask something, I'll take the loss of points, and then likely write a heated letter to the SOA for taking the credibility of these exams and flushing it down the toilette.

remilard
04-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi, can anybody tell me how much we're expected to know about the stuff from the study notes on the difference between IFRS and US GAAP?

Memorize it or don't. The focus is really on IFRS and not GAAP so I could see a multi part question where most of the question is on IFRS and one part is asking for those differences. I'll eat my shoe if they ask an entire question just about the differences. So memorize the table of differences or don't.