PDA

View Full Version : the syllabus is weird...

andrewabert
04-27-2008, 09:42 PM
I just realized that on the syllabus it says for V-C126-07 Derivatives: Practice and Principals we only need to read p13-24...but that means we need to read from recommendation 9 through 24 and 1 page of the table of contents for the overview. That's pretty silly.....

Also, the first 2 formula on the formula sheet are actually not on the syllabus, since it's on page 239 of Handbook while we only need to read p229-231, 241-245....:tfh:

is there something wrong?

remilard
04-28-2008, 08:00 AM
I just realized that on the syllabus it says for V-C126-07 Derivatives: Practice and Principals we only need to read p13-24...but that means we need to read from recommendation 9 through 24 and 1 page of the table of contents for the overview. That's pretty silly.....

Also, the first 2 formula on the formula sheet are actually not on the syllabus, since it's on page 239 of Handbook while we only need to read p229-231, 241-245....:tfh:

If you have time to think about things like this right now you studied too much. Let me be the first to congratulate you on your score of 10, however.

namssa
04-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Did the SOA indicate that the exam questions would be limited to material on the syllabus this year?

campbell
04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Did the SOA indicate that the exam questions would be limited to material on the syllabus this year?

Well, generally they like to make new mistakes every year....

Laurelinda
04-28-2008, 04:10 PM

everything is wrong

andrewabert
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
everything is wrong

lol...i guess my question is: should I just focus on whatever is on the syllabus? Do the questions that are not from the syllabus actually get taken out most of the time?

namssa
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
lol...i guess my question is: should I just focus on whatever is on the syllabus? Do the questions that are not from the syllabus actually get taken out most of the time?

I've taken 3 essay exams. 2 of them had questions from material that was not on the syllabus. Both of the questions were graded, rather than being thrown out. I passed exam 6 with the question that wasn't on the syllabus, so it didn't make me quite as angry. Last year, I failed APMV with a 5 and had a 0 on the question that wasn't on the syllabus. :swear:

There isn't much that you can do about it. It's overwhelming enough trying to get prepared for the syllabus material without trying to guess which non-syllabus material will show up. I'm just studying the syllabus and hoping that it's enough.

remilard
04-29-2008, 08:06 AM
I've taken 3 essay exams. 2 of them had questions from material that was not on the syllabus. Both of the questions were graded, rather than being thrown out. I passed exam 6 with the question that wasn't on the syllabus, so it didn't make me quite as angry. Last year, I failed APMV with a 5 and had a 0 on the question that wasn't on the syllabus. :swear:

There isn't much that you can do about it. It's overwhelming enough trying to get prepared for the syllabus material without trying to guess which non-syllabus material will show up. I'm just studying the syllabus and hoping that it's enough.

That's not quite true.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showpost.php?p=2215442&postcount=23

namssa
04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
That's not quite true.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showpost.php?p=2215442&postcount=23

I don't see how that email from the SOA contradicts anything that I wrote. They did grade the question. They did not throw the question out. They make the ambiguous reference to an "allowance" being made, but make no specific statement about what that means.

remilard
04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't see how that email from the SOA contradicts anything that I wrote. They did grade the question. They did not throw the question out. They make the ambiguous reference to an "allowance" being made, but make no specific statement about what that means.

Have you read the E&E policy that was referred to in the email?

It essentially states that in the event of a defective question they will pass everyone who would have passed if it was included and everyone who would have passed if it wasn't included.

What is your complaint? How is that less fair than throwing out the question?

namssa
04-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Have you read the E&E policy that was referred to in the email?

It essentially states that in the event of a defective question they will pass everyone who would have passed if it was included and everyone who would have passed if it wasn't included.

What is your complaint? How is that less fair than throwing out the question?

I stand by my original statement that the question was graded and was not thrown out. You claimed that that statement was not accurate, but have yet to contradict it.

I did read the E&E policy that was referred to in the email. I still can't find the part that "essentially states that in the event of a defective question they will pass everyone who would have passed if it was included and everyone who would have passed if it wasn't included". Please copy and paste that elusive passage here for me.

remilard
04-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I stand by my original statement that the question was graded and was not thrown out. You claimed that that statement was not accurate, but have yet to contradict it.

I did read the E&E policy that was referred to in the email. I still can't find the part that "essentially states that in the event of a defective question they will pass everyone who would have passed if it was included and everyone who would have passed if it wasn't included". Please copy and paste that elusive passage here for me.

You clearly implied that the handling of the question contributed to your failing. I'm sorry if you wanted people to assist you in not taking any responsibility for your own failures but that isn't my job.

Can I ask why you think the question was graded and counted in all circumstances when the SOA indicated otherwise? What do you know that we don't know?

namssa
04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
You clearly implied that the handling of the question contributed to your failing. I'm sorry if you wanted people to assist you in not taking any responsibility for your own failures but that isn't my job.

Can I ask why you think the question was graded and counted in all circumstances when the SOA indicated otherwise? What do you know that we don't know?

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your irrationality is a symptom of exam related stress.

hamstrman
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM

Playing devil's advocate for a minute (keep in mind I've only been following the conversation from this board), you were asked to show where the SOA said what they said about including the question if you would pass as a result and vice versa. Was this included somewhere that I missed it? (No sarcasm, I'm really asking.)

On the other hand, where is namssa getting his information from? You two just seem to be telling the other what you know and saying the other must be wrong... anyone have some kind of proof of any of this?

remilard
05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Playing devil's advocate for a minute (keep in mind I've only been following the conversation from this board), you were asked to show where the SOA said what they said about including the question if you would pass as a result and vice versa. Was this included somewhere that I missed it? (No sarcasm, I'm really asking.)

On the other hand, where is namssa getting his information from? You two just seem to be telling the other what you know and saying the other must be wrong... anyone have some kind of proof of any of this?

I followed the link to the SOA website in the post I linked to.