PDA

View Full Version : AMPV 2007 #12A

hamstrman
05-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Why is the solution to 12A all the constraints NOT faced by hedge fund managers when the question asks for all the constraints faced by hedge fund managers? They don't mention one constraint actually faced by hedge fund managers in the solution.

I thought of this list, but figured they wanted constraints, not a lack thereof, on hedge fund managers.

Was anyone else annoyed by this?

Edit: Damn quick typing... why can't you change a thread title?

The Smokin' Cracktuary
05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Why is the solution to 12A all the constraints NOT faced by hedge fund managers when the question asks for all the constraints faced by hedge fund managers? They don't mention one constraint actually faced by hedge fund managers in the solution.

I thought of this list, but figured they wanted constraints, not a lack thereof, on hedge fund managers.

Was anyone else annoyed by this?

Edit: Damn quick typing... why can't you change a thread title?

Actually, it doesn't say to list the constraints of hedgefund managers. It says, "contrast the constraints faced by hedge fund managers versus conventional managers."

Meaning, list the ones that are different. The solution does just that. There are no constraints that hedge fund managers have that conventional fund managers don't have.

At least that's how I looked at it. That isn't to say that hedge funds themselves don't have contraints that conventional funds don't, but that's not what it asking. It asked about the manager's constraints.

Again, that's how I thought about it.

I do kind of see your point, but it doesn't actually say to list hedge fund manager's constraints.

hamstrman
05-05-2008, 01:26 PM
But wouldn't that be asking then to describe the differences between the constraints of hedge fund managers and investment managers? Meaning one would have to mention constraints of hedge fund managers and how they differ from those of investment managers? They mention no constraints of hedge fund managers whatsoever...

invisibulman
05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
But wouldn't that be asking then to describe the differences between the constraints of hedge fund managers and investment managers? Meaning one would have to mention constraints of hedge fund managers and how they differ from those of investment managers? They mention no constraints of hedge fund managers whatsoever...

I think that's sort of the point. Hedge fund managers don't face many constraints. The crux of the question was getting at which restrictions do they not face.

hamstrman
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I think that's sort of the point. Hedge fund managers don't face many constraints. The crux of the question was getting at which restrictions do they not face.

Well that certainly isn't implied by the phrasing of the question or the definition of the word contrast... you can't contrast what isn't there.

Will Durant
05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I've come to learn that all the higher order verbs (compare, contrast, analyze, ...) are just so much nonsense. All (non-problem) questions are essentially list-based. Regurgitate the appropriate list w/o regard to the specific verb used in the question, and you'll be fine.

Sad, but true.

hamstrman
05-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I've come to learn that all the higher order verbs (compare, contrast, analyze, ...) are just so much nonsense. All (non-problem) questions are essentially list-based. Regurgitate the appropriate list w/o regard to the specific verb used in the question, and you'll be fine.

Sad, but true.

So sad. So true. I'm still trying to grasp this concept.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
05-05-2008, 04:31 PM
So sad. So true. I'm still trying to grasp this concept.

I feel ya. Just remember, no answers to any questions are anything that you think up no matter how right you may be. All the answers are something specifically from the readings. If you didn't read it, it won't be an answer.

So always try to relate the question to something you specifically read. Even when you have to make a recomendation about something. You make the recommendation, and then back it up with facts from the readings.

If they wanted your thoughts about it.... well.... they don't. So don't even let it enter your mind.