PDA

View Full Version : Score needed to pass?

iamsupertc
05-09-2008, 11:14 PM
any guess?

iamsupertc
05-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I think I screwed up big time in the afternoon session... probably only got 25 points in that session...lol

iamsupertc
05-09-2008, 11:33 PM
btw anyone took it in NYC?

sundwarf
05-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I was in nyc exam center and was really annoyed by that damn party next door. The morning registration downstairs was a mess too. I wonder why we could not wait in the 4th floor lobby.

iamsupertc
05-09-2008, 11:37 PM
agreed... did you see the lunchboxes in the lobby? i thought it was courtesy of SOA at first

sundwarf
05-09-2008, 11:47 PM
yea i saw them. i thought of taking one away for my own good, but then I was too stressed out to be hungry during our short lunch break =P

Did you notice nearly 10 of us walked out early in the afternoon session? I was wondering how come so many ppl gave up... there's no way so many ppl finished early right?

iamsupertc
05-09-2008, 11:50 PM
could have been people taking other exams...
anyway, where were you sitting?

hamstrman
05-10-2008, 02:20 AM
yea i saw them. i thought of taking one away for my own good, but then I was too stressed out to be hungry during our short lunch break =P

Did you notice nearly 10 of us walked out early in the afternoon session? I was wondering how come so many ppl gave up... there's no way so many ppl finished early right?

I left 20 mins early in the afternoon. I was in the first row. And I remember commenting to myself before we started this morning how this exam was the first without construction... of course it would have to be replaced with something like a party. I did appreciate our proctor repeatedly telling them to keep it down, though.

And if you took Carmody's seminar: "If you finish writing and you still have time left over, it means you didn't know enough." So there's your answer to us finishing early.

examwritter
05-10-2008, 10:14 AM

10 ppl from the APMV? this is not a bad news....

TiderInsider
05-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I was writing until the bitter end both times...trying to get as much partial credit as possible. If nothing else, you should write "counter party risk" on the bottom of every page.

One thing I'm getting a little better at is continually writing. If you're writing down the advantages of private equity and you can only come up with 2 things, don't waist a minute thinking of 3 and 4, just move onto the disadvantages or start on the next list. Don't let your pen stop for more than a few seconds. Working questions under test conditions helps with this.

Will Durant
05-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I just realized I incorrectly answered THIS question. I responded 55 but I meant percent; I think everyone else meant points. I think the folks who answered 65 or 70 are spot on.

Laurelinda
05-10-2008, 01:56 PM
If you're writing down the advantages of private equity and you can only come up with 2 things, don't waist a minute thinking of 3 and 4, just move onto the disadvantages or start on the next list.

I went with writing all the advantages and disadvantages I could think of mixed together in one list without specifying whether it was an advantage or a disadvantage. I really hope they just look to see whether I hit enough points rather than grading the organization of my answers.

I'm feeling worse about this exam this morning than I did yesterday. Thing is, if I'd studied harder or longer, I bet I still wouldn't have studied what I needed to know to nail the afternoon session, so it was kind of out of my hands.

Sigh.

Who else is starting to study for October next month? This time I'm going to get through the reading as fast and as early as I possibly can. (Famous last words.)

Laurelinda
05-10-2008, 01:57 PM
BTW, whoever thinks the pass mark is 85 isn't very funny. :swear:

campbell
05-10-2008, 02:30 PM
You need a 6 to pass (sorry, sorry).

Last year, a lot of people walked out early, especially during the afternoon session. I remember looking around for a few people as they were gathering up the exams in the afternoon, and there were lots missing. There are limits to mental endurance. My afternoon performance felt worse than my morning (and I ultimately passed).

Also, TiderInsider is right on that strategy of just keeping that pen moving, especially with regards to lists. Just skip some white space and write other lines.

Eroboy
05-10-2008, 08:35 PM
BTW, whoever thinks the pass mark is 85 isn't very funny. :swear:

I agree. I even think 85 to 90 might be able to get you a 9.

I got 10 in the FET exam but I think I screwed up lots of calculations and case studies problems. I won't bet my final score was over 90.

As for this one, I bet the passing score is going to be around 65 to 70 and I am leaning toward to 65. It is based on my biased estimation of my score in the APV exam such that I can pass the exam with a safe margin. :tup:

Laurelinda
05-10-2008, 11:50 PM
As for this one, I bet the passing score is going to be around 65 to 70 and I am leaning toward to 65. It is based on my biased estimation of my score in the APV exam such that I can pass the exam with a safe margin. :tup:

If I'm lucky, I got 50 points out of the morning session and 20 out of the afternoon. So I hope the pass mark isn't any higher than 70. :(

sundwarf
05-11-2008, 12:02 PM
If I'm lucky, I got 50 points out of the morning session and 20 out of the afternoon. So I hope the pass mark isn't any higher than 70. :(

I am sure you get much more than 20 in the afternoon session. You just need 2 pts per question to get above that!

waha
05-11-2008, 12:09 PM
I guess this question must have been asked many, many times and even though I passed FET last time, I still have no clue about this one.

Do they simply add the points you get from each question and determine a pass mark? or they assign a 0-10 point to each question and weight them according to the total points of that question and then determine a pass mark? I have heard people say that if you have some 9s and 10s but several 0s and 1s, you still might not pass.

Someone can shed light on this, maybe Campbell? since you have been there on the grading side.

campbell
05-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I (and a few others) have posted this several times -- the grades you get per question if you fail just give you an idea of where you were weak and where you were strong. You cannot do some sort of weighted average to get the pass mark.

I think it's pretty common for people to have a few problems they nail, and then a bunch of 0s and 1s, as their pattern, and fail. You can definitely have 0s on a handful of problems and pass (I always skipped a couple on the attempts I passed -- once even a 9-point question!). From a points perspective, it's better to have 6s across the board on your problems than some 10s and some 0/1s. I bet you could have 6s across the board by problem, and score a 7 (or even an 8!) as your final score. The reason why is the "pass mark" per problem is independent of the final pass mark. The point of the "problem pass mark" is to let you know what you absolutely nailed and what you totally flubbed -- the problem a lot of people have is spending too much time on the items they know really well, and not working enough on the problems they're =eh= on.

Laurelinda
05-11-2008, 05:30 PM
The reason why is the "pass mark" per problem is independent of the final pass mark.

Yikes, if that's so I failed. I doubt I "passed" more than one of the afternoon questions, but I was hoping for some points here and there nonetheless. ;)

hamstrman
05-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Yikes, if that's so I failed. I doubt I "passed" more than one of the afternoon questions, but I was hoping for some points here and there nonetheless. ;)

Wait, I'm still confused, I suppose. If the pass mark per question doesn't matter in the final scoring, why should it matter if you "pass" any particular question?

I suppose some 10s and some 1s COULD be a good thing if your 10s are on the 7-8 point questions and the 1s are on 3-4 point questions.

Eroboy
05-11-2008, 07:16 PM

Wow, you did so well in the morning session! My situation might be the totally the opposite way.

I believe you will get there. I had very bad taste last time in the afternoon session but it turned out to be good.

Anyway, the best thing is that the exam is over. Finally, I can get out and breeze the spring.

Laurelinda
05-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Wait, I'm still confused, I suppose. If the pass mark per question doesn't matter in the final scoring, why should it matter if you "pass" any particular question?

Wait, maybe I misinterpreted Mary...

I originally thought if you have, say, a 5-point problem, that you could get 0-5 points from it to add to your total. If you got 2 points and also failed the exam, you would probably see a "4" for that problem. So getting a "10" on a 5-point question and a "0" on another 5-point question would have the same effect on your overall score as having two 5's.

But if so, why would having a bunch of 6's necessarily be better than having some 10's and a few zeros...? That's what got me confused.

I am so overthinking this. :tfh: :lol:

hamstrman
05-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Wait, maybe I misinterpreted Mary...

I originally thought if you have, say, a 5-point problem, that you could get 0-5 points from it to add to your total. If you got 2 points and also failed the exam, you would probably see a "4" for that problem. So getting a "10" on a 5-point question and a "0" on another 5-point question would have the same effect on your overall score as having two 5's.

But if so, why would having a bunch of 6's necessarily be better than having some 10's and a few zeros...? That's what got me confused.

I am so overthinking this. :tfh: :lol:

Exactly! That's how I understood it. :tup:

campbell
05-12-2008, 07:54 AM
What I meant is that the individual "pass marks" for each of the questions (where I'm talking about the points from the score -- so like on a 5-point question, the "pass mark" could be 3.1 or something. Yes, you get fractional points. I don't want to get into the details here) are set by estimating how many points a marginally-well-prepared candidate would get.

If you add up all those "pass marks", you get a number that has little to do with the overall pass mark. It could be higher or lower. I think they do use those by-question-pass marks to come up with a preliminary pass mark, but there is more adjustment after that, for sure.
The by-question-pass marks were set before central grading. I am not part of the committee that does any of that, so I don't know that part of the process. I am pretty sure that they don't go back and scale the by-question-pass marks so they add up to the overall pass mark.

Again, the point of the by-question scores is to let you know where you were really strong, and where you were weak. If you have a couple 10s and 9s and a bunch of 0s and 1s, you were not broadly prepared enough, and you shouldn't spend too much time on the areas you got 10s in.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
05-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Morning session :tup:

Afternoon :cry:

Caramel
05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Who else is starting to study for October next month? This time I'm going to get through the reading as fast and as early as I possibly can. (Famous last words.)

I am thinking of studying for October exam in a month, but I am second-guess my strategy: I read ALL the materials and study-notes, then JAM seminar, then re-read JAM, then memorization, then working on 2007 exam, and practice questions at the end of JAM). I have heard people telling me that:

"You don't need to read the books or study notes at all to pass, just use JAM or Actex, and memorize, memorize, and do a lot of questions"

The reading was very time consuming, I started studying last mid-august and I only finished reading all materials by end of March. And at the end, the effort of reading doesn't seem to pay off as well as memorizing as much as you can!

Any thought on this "no readings at all" strategy?

Google
05-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Reading postings makes me more scared. I should quit reading the postings. Will I have the strentgh to quit reading? Time will tell.

FoxtrotFool
05-13-2008, 07:31 PM
No readings strategy would work ok for the ASA exams. I don't think it would work for the FSA exams.

I think if you only study JAM or other notes, and you invest sufficiently amount of time, and is perfectly fluent on the material, you probably get 70% of the points. But for me, on material that I know well, I probably only get 80% right, and getting 70%*80% = 56%, which is not enough to pass.

Reading the entire syllabus take a lot of time, and there is limited upside, but the plus side is that you get the small details that might get lost.

I think most people will need a month just to be perfectly practiced in exam writing and memorization. It would be at least another month for you to read through all the material. Ofcourse, if you are not "most people", then go for it!

Laurelinda
05-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Any thought on this "no readings at all" strategy?

One thing I learned from the APMV afternoon session is to pay attention to things I think might be important, but which I allowed myself to forget about because they weren't stressed in the study manual I used. The manual was very helpful, but I think the only way I could have done better on that exam would have been to pay more attention while I was reading.

But I hear you that it takes a long time and gets you bogged down, so I'm going to try to read faster...not sure what else to do.

foflower
05-14-2008, 05:50 AM
how many points in Morning session and Afternoon session totally? :tfh:

remilard
05-14-2008, 08:57 AM
how many points in Morning session and Afternoon session totally? :tfh:

60 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon.