PDA

View Full Version : Mail box damage

Meshuga
05-29-2008, 05:06 PM
our mailbox is the standard usps approved box built into brick (similar to the one in the picture posted below). i don't think the front of our box sticks out as far as the one in the picture.

my wife works from home and the window to her office overlooks the street. she sees everything. as soon as he pulled away, she sent our daughter out to get the mail. seems when the mail carrier pulled away, he damaged the box to the point i had to pry the door open and it no longer closes. i called the post office to lodge a complaint. they said they'd look into it. this afternoon, the carrier leaves a note on the door:

mr and mrs meshuga,
i didn't damage your mailbox. i hope you find who did.
thks
ro

i called the post office about this and tell me he didn't do it. the woman in the office doesn't seem to want to come out and inspect it, just taking the carrier's word. the only time i can meet them out there is on the weekend or after their hours. has anyone had any run ins similar to this with the usps and had problems? how did you resolve them?

http://www.mailboxespdq.com/index_files/image3491.jpg

banpeikun
05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
just spend the $20 and get a new one. there's a reason it's called "going postal" and you don't want to be anywhere around that.

QMO
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm unclear about your reasons for believing the carrier damaged the mailbox.

Perhaps if you can make those reasons clearer, and more convincing, to me you'll be able to explain better to the USPS.

You probably need to give them a reason to believe you (a stranger) over the mail carrier (someone they know).

It's possible the mailbox was damaged before and the mail carrier was able to get it closed.
It's possible the carrier doesn't realize they damaged it and may also have to be convinced.

Meshuga
05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
just spend the $20 and get a new one. there's a reason it's called "going postal" and you don't want to be anywhere around that.
check out the picture above, it may not be as easy as sliding a new box in there (mine doesn't have the gap around the box like in the picture above). from a quick look, i couldn't tell how the box is secured in the brick.

I'm unclear about your reasons for believing the carrier damaged the mailbox.

Perhaps if you can make those reasons clearer, and more convincing, to me you'll be able to explain better to the USPS.
my wife sent my daughter out to get the mail as soon as she saw the carrier pull away. my daughter found it damaged. if it had been damaged prior to the delivery, he would not have been able to close the door all the way after putting the mail in. looking at it when i got home last night, it was obvious the door had been closed when it was hit.

05-29-2008, 05:21 PM
this afternoon, the carrier leaves a note on the door:If he didn't put a stamp on the note you can have him cited for that...that's like a federal offense or something.

GadgetGeek
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm surprised you are allowed a mailbox like that. Isn't that a safety issue? Or do you live in an area with no snow/ice?

Tangent...our mailman carries a mallet in his mail truck. For getting the mailboxes opened up after an ice storm. With a plastic mailbox, it wouldn't last long.

Ohel Moed
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
my daughter found it damaged. if it had been damaged prior to the delivery, he would not have been able to close the door all the way after putting the mail in. looking at it when i got home last night, it was obvious the door had been closed when it was hit.
A heavy handed letter to the P.O. from a lawyer-friend might just do the trick. The driver will see that he would have to swear in court that he had to struggle with the door to get it open.

Loner
05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
There are a lot of areas where kids drive around smashing mailboxes. The ones like yours are especially tempting targets because they are a challenge.
Mailpersons have to open the doors after and are probably a lot better at it than you are.
Just because you as a wimpy actuary have no grip strength you shouldn't assume the mail carrier is lying, especially since your wife apparently didn't hear a noise as the truck pulled away,

Solution: Get a cheap plastic mailbox. The punks don't bother with them.

Former Actuarial
05-29-2008, 06:17 PM
she sees everything. as soon as he pulled away, she sent our daughter out to get the mail. seems when the mail carrier pulled away, he damaged the box to the point i had to pry the door open and it no longer closes.i guess she doesn't see everything. your best guess is that he did it. but no one saw him do it or heard him do it. if you think he did it, have your wife be on the look out for the mail carrier tomorrow and inspect the vehicle for damage. i suspect he did not do it.

Rockhound
05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
You believe your wife, and think the postman is lying.

The post office believes the postman and think your wife is lying.

Spend the $20, but assure your wife that you don't think she's lying. (Even though many on the AO do).

ShakeNBakes
05-29-2008, 06:54 PM
maybe she's lying but just doesn't know it.

Meshuga
05-29-2008, 07:18 PM
There are a lot of areas where kids drive around smashing mailboxes. The ones like yours are especially tempting targets because they are a challenge.
Mailpersons have to open the doors after and are probably a lot better at it than you are.
Just because you as a wimpy actuary have no grip strength you shouldn't assume the mail carrier is lying, especially since your wife apparently didn't hear a noise as the truck pulled away,

i've heard of kids doing that, but have not seen it in my neighborhood (not to say it can't happen). if this were the case, i would think there would be other boxes damaged in the neighborhood, as all the homes have similar mailboxes.

i'll have to take a closer look when i get home and see if he would have been able to close the box if it had been damaged prior to delivery.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Am I the only one who wants to give his wife and the postman the benefit of the doubt and just assume that he didn't realize he hit it as he drove away?

Seems reasonable. As he said, if the mailman didn't do it, it would have been broken when he got there and he would not have been able to close it.

But, the mailman has no reason to lie about it either. It's not like it comes out of his pocket or anything. I think most people in his position would just get the box fixed if they knew they broke it. It doesn't cost them anything.

Like when I used to wait tables. If I messed something up, I had no problem comp'ing meals. What did I care? It didn't come out of my pocket.

Anyway. I believe the wife and the mailman.

Fun King ded
05-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Does a residence have to have a mail box? I'd get rid of the damned thing (not the one that tears people up and is invisible) and go to a P.O. box.

Loner
05-29-2008, 08:56 PM
As he said, if the mailman didn't do it, it would have been broken when he got there and he would not have been able to close it.

Not necessarily true. Kid drives by with baseball bat, bangs mailbox and door falls open. Mailman puts mail in open box and closes mailbox, giving it a good shove that closes it tight. Homeowner pries open mailbox, in the process bending door in such a way that door can't be reclosed.

And did the OP call and say, "I think the mailtruck may have struck my mailbox and damaged it?" or "Hey your ^%$#ing mailman broke my mailbox! Gimme a new one!"

zeuz
05-30-2008, 03:57 AM
A heavy handed letter to the P.O. from a lawyer-friend might just do the trick. The driver will see that he would have to swear in court that he had to struggle with the door to get it open.

Actually, this wouldn't be a threat of any kind. In order to sue the federal government, you have to get the federal government's permission to do so. (It's an interesting, but true, legal fact.)

LifeAct
05-30-2008, 07:55 AM
But, the mailman has no reason to lie about it either. It's not like it comes out of his pocket or anything. I think most people in his position would just get the box fixed if they knew they broke it. It doesn't cost them anything.

Like when I used to wait tables. If I messed something up, I had no problem comp'ing meals. What did I care? It didn't come out of my pocket.

if the Mailman has had other incidents, then he may be at risk of losing his job.

I'm sure that if you screwed up 3 or 4 orders in one night and had to comp them all, you may be a bit hesitent to do it later in the night.

Big Jim Slade
05-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Really, just buy the mailbox, believe your wife, and forget about it.

Don't tork off people who deliver stuff to your house every day.

Someday he'll have a bad day and take it out on you, or take it out on you every time he feels like it.

Ten years from now they'll find his house stuffed with all your important mail.

GadgetGeek
05-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Really, just buy the mailbox, believe your wife, and forget about it.

Don't tork off people who deliver stuff to your house every day.

Someday he'll have a bad day and take it out on you, or take it out on you every time he feels like it.

Ten years from now they'll find his house stuffed with all your important mail.

:iatp:

Ticked off mailman = door accidently left open in the rain. Mail conveniently rubberbanded into a bundle...including do-not-bend photographs. Magazines folded to make them fit better...but folded top-to-bottom, breaking the spine (if bound).

I've had all of the above happen to me at my old house (walking route). I made some adjustments on my end and my service greatly improved (new, bigger mailbox, keeping the dog poop out of my yard where he'd be walking (they are not req'd to use sidewalks), and shoveling a path through the snow in my yard to allow him easier access)

At our new house, with mail truck delivery, I make sure our mailbox is in good working order (remove ice so he doesn't have to), and shovel back the snow (plows don't get close enough) so he/she can deliver without having to get out of the truck. Worst problem is slightly wet mail when it is driving rain, but I suspect that is because the mailbox doesn't seal as tight as I'd like to believe, and not because of the mailman.

Jonas Grumby
05-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Just because you as a wimpy actuary have no grip strength you shouldn't assume the mail carrier is lying, especially since your wife apparently didn't hear a noise as the truck pulled away.

Exactly what I thought when I read it.

IAm@Work.com
05-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Actually, this wouldn't be a threat of any kind. In order to sue the federal government, you have to get the federal government's permission to do so. (It's an interesting, but true, legal fact.)If the USPS were part of the Federal Government, this might have some bearing. Given that it has been an independent agency since 1971, this may not apply.

regan842967
05-30-2008, 12:58 PM
If the USPS were part of the Federal Government, this might have some bearing. Given that it has been an independent agency since 1971, this may not apply.

Wikipedia says it still applies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service#Governance_and_organi zation

As a quasi-governmental agency, it has many special privileges, including sovereign immunity, eminent domain powers, powers to negotiate postal treaties with foreign nations, and an exclusive legal right to deliver first-class and third-class mail.

Bolding mine

Rockhound
05-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Anyway. I believe the wife and the mailman.

This is becoming more and more suspicious.

I think this is just a story concocted by the two of them, to cover up something going on between them. If you hear from the neighbors that the mailman was at your house for sometime, expect your wife to say:

"Yes dear, he was here, but we were just dealing with your concerns about the box being hard to open".

The Smokin' Cracktuary
05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Not necessarily true. Kid drives by with baseball bat, bangs mailbox and door falls open. Mailman puts mail in open box and closes mailbox, giving it a good shove that closes it tight. Homeowner pries open mailbox, in the process bending door in such a way that door can't be reclosed.

And did the OP call and say, "I think the mailtruck may have struck my mailbox and damaged it?" or "Hey your ^%$#ing mailman broke my mailbox! Gimme a new one!"

Then why wouldn't the mailman state such a fact when asked about it? Why wouldn't he say, "It was broke when I got there, and I had trouble getting it closed myself."?

Now maybe he did. But the OP made it seem like he just said it wasn't him, end of story. If he did, then I am now mad at the OP for hiding facts.

if the Mailman has had other incidents, then he may be at risk of losing his job.

I'm sure that if you screwed up 3 or 4 orders in one night and had to comp them all, you may be a bit hesitent to do it later in the night.

If the mailman had done it so many time that his job is in jeopardy, then why would his boss believe him so easily when the complaint was made? I would think if the mailman is a notorious mailbox damager, they likely would not give him the benefit of the doubt.

IMO

Loner
05-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Then why wouldn't the mailman state such a fact when asked about it? Why wouldn't he say, "It was broke when I got there, and I had trouble getting it closed myself."?

Now maybe he did. But the OP made it seem like he just said it wasn't him, end of story. If he did, then I am now mad at the OP for hiding facts.

If the mailman had done it so many time that his job is in jeopardy, then why would his boss believe him so easily when the complaint was made? I would think if the mailman is a notorious mailbox damager, they likely would not give him the benefit of the doubt.

IMO

It sounded like a very terse note. Perhaps the mailman was offended at the accusation and thinks the OP is slandering him to try and score a new mailbox.

JMO
05-30-2008, 03:08 PM
The case for the defense:

"The bucket has no hole in it."
"I didn't borrow the bucket."
"There was already a hole in it when I borrowed it."