PDA

View Full Version : Results date, anyone?

waha
06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Is it me or SOA is being very late coming out with a results date for this sitting? Normally I don't pay much attention but with this being my last exam, I am a little anxious. Somewhere on AO I got the impression that July 11 might be the magic date but without anything coming out of SOA, I can't help wondering what the heck is going on there. Anyone?

hamstrman
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Is it me or SOA is being very late coming out with a results date for this sitting? Normally I don't pay much attention but with this being my last exam, I am a little anxious. Somewhere on AO I got the impression that July 11 might be the magic date but without anything coming out of SOA, I can't help wondering what the heck is going on there. Anyone?

Well in discussing it with coworkers, it's usually 10 weeks. Additionally, the prelim results are always a week before ours and since July 4th is a holiday, they would get theirs on the 11th and we would get ours on the 18th. All conjecture of course. I KNOW! They could release results on June 27th! Then everybody wins.

campbell
06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Well in discussing it with coworkers, it's usually 10 weeks. Additionally, the prelim results are always a week before ours and since July 4th is a holiday, they would get theirs on the 11th and we would get ours on the 18th. All conjecture of course. I KNOW! They could release results on June 27th! Then everybody wins.

Well, June 27 is highly unlikely due to the timing of central grading on the essay exams, which is around then (I think. I was invited to grade, but had to pass this time.)

waha
06-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, June 27 is highly unlikely due to the timing of central grading on the essay exams, which is around then (I think. I was invited to grade, but had to pass this time.)

I guess that my anxiety comes from not knowing a specific date at all, I don't really care if it is June 27, July 4, July 11, or July 18 as long as we have something. Generally speaking, SOA would come out with an announcement on their website about the results date by now (a month after the sitting) or is this another one of my wishful thinkings? Like I said, I don't normally pay much attention to the announcement of the results date but I can say for sure that they normally post the results date, don't they?

hamstrman
06-11-2008, 11:38 AM

I know, I was being facetious. Doesn't translate well online. I would have no reason to think it would be June 27th.

waha
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM

Campbell, based on your last experience, with June 27 being the timing for central grading, what is the maximum likelihood of results available on July 11?
I would venture to guess that July 18 sounds more feasible although it might contradict what Bruce has been hinting?

hamstrman
06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Campbell, based on your last experience, with June 27 being the timing for central grading, what is the maximum likelihood of results available on July 11?
I would venture to guess that July 18 sounds more feasible although it might contradict what Bruce has been hinting?

Could you please link to any posts Bruce has made hinting at an earlier date?

waha
06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Could you please link to any posts Bruce has made hinting at an earlier date?

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=138454&page=3

Also, someone on FM thread just said that he called SOA and was told that results for MFE come out on July 2, which makes me believe that July 11 might be the magic day now. I wish SOA could just make an announcement already.

Reflection
06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=138454&page=3

Also, someone on FM thread just said that he called SOA and was told that results for MFE come out on July 2, which makes me believe that July 11 might be the magic day now. I wish SOA could just make an announcement already.

I think FM is computer based now, and they didn't take the exam until early June...

waha
06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I think FM is computer based now, and they didn't take the exam until early June...

Please note the reference was about MFE, not FM even though the info was contained in the FM thread. It was said that results date for MFE is July 2, for FM is July 18. Boy, I hate those acronyms.

campbell
06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I have no clue, seriously. Bruce has been saying that they've been trying to cut down on time in the process, and there are several steps after central grading, such as entering in all the raw scores, statistical analysis of such, meeting of exam committee to set pass mark, calculation of everybody's grades and checking them in the system.

Some of the time has been reduced since results are no longer mailed (right?), so they don't need to be printed out, stuffed into envelopes, and mailed. Perhaps some of the systems have been integrated so it's more automated. I could see them releasing all scores on July 11, but I can also see them doing the traditional one-week lag.

hamstrman
06-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I have no clue, seriously. Bruce has been saying that they've been trying to cut down on time in the process, and there are several steps after central grading, such as entering in all the raw scores, statistical analysis of such, meeting of exam committee to set pass mark, calculation of everybody's grades and checking them in the system.

Some of the time has been reduced since results are no longer mailed (right?), so they don't need to be printed out, stuffed into envelopes, and mailed. Perhaps some of the systems have been integrated so it's more automated. I could see them releasing all scores on July 11, but I can also see them doing the traditional one-week lag.

I have confirmation! Our actuarial student program in our office contacted the SOA and FSA exam results are released on July 11!

Car'a'carn
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info.

bdschobel
06-13-2008, 08:17 AM
I have confirmation! Our actuarial student program in our office contacted the SOA and FSA exam results are released on July 11!I posted that a while ago. Not sure why people couldn't find it. Anyway, that's the date. And we'll be even faster in the fall. Not try to be faster -- be faster!

Bruce

waha
06-13-2008, 08:26 AM
I posted that a while ago. Not sure why people couldn't find it. Anyway, that's the date. And we'll be even faster in the fall. Not try to be faster -- be faster!

Bruce

Bruce, why is the results date not posted on the SOA website? Not everyone comes to AO though. Not that I am complaining, it is a mere suggestion.

bdschobel
06-13-2008, 08:29 AM
That's a good question. Getting things posted on the SOA's website is more difficult than perhaps it should be. And the people in the Education Department don't control the website. Sometimes things just fall through the cracks.

Bruce

hamstrman
06-13-2008, 09:21 AM
I posted that a while ago. Not sure why people couldn't find it. Anyway, that's the date. And we'll be even faster in the fall. Not try to be faster -- be faster!

Bruce

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showpost.php?p=2904309&postcount=29

Found the post!

Yes, you did say that a while back, but 1) you said it was not a promise and 2) you said it on the Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee board, not on any of the FSA Exam threads... I wasn't even aware of this other thread you posted on. But thank you for letting us know!

azn_to
06-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Should let everyone know, not just people who took Investment track.

Google
06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Stop complaining you actuaries! Do you have to dissect everything in pieces?

sixt8 berd
06-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Stop complaining you actuaries! Do you have to dissect everything in pieces?

We learned it from taking the tests. :wink:

waha
06-18-2008, 08:12 PM
http://www.soa.org/education/exams/e...lease-sch.aspx

I applaud you, SOA.

hamstrman
06-18-2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.soa.org/education/exams/e...lease-sch.aspx

I applaud you, SOA.

http://www.soa.org/education/exams/exam-results/edu-grade-release-sch.aspx

I think you meant to post this. The website got abbreviated as did the actual link... I hope mine doesn't do the same.

Edit: The posted link got abbreviated on my post, but the link itself is fine.

waha
06-19-2008, 12:16 PM
http://www.soa.org/education/exams/exam-results/edu-grade-release-sch.aspx

I think you meant to post this. The website got abbreviated as did the actual link... I hope mine doesn't do the same.

Edit: The posted link got abbreviated on my post, but the link itself is fine.

That was very sloppy of me.

examwritter
06-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Any thoughts b4 result come out?? I feel more terrified than writing exam .....

Laurelinda
06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Any thoughts b4 result come out?? I feel more terrified than writing exam .....

I'm honestly kind of ho-hum about it at this point. If I passed, then it will be interesting to know how bad a passing performance can feel.

hamstrman
06-25-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm honestly kind of ho-hum about it at this point. If I passed, then it will be interesting to know how bad a passing performance can feel.

You mean you're interested to know how much like a failure a passing can feel when you're actually taking the exam, so you can know that feeling like crap is not an indicator of failing next time?

What an interesting thought... I just always feel like I failed my exam, so there's nothing to separate out.

Laurelinda
06-25-2008, 11:13 PM
You mean you're interested to know how much like a failure a passing can feel when you're actually taking the exam, so you can know that feeling like crap is not an indicator of failing next time?

What an interesting thought... I just always feel like I failed my exam, so there's nothing to separate out.

Yeah, basically. :tup:

Back when I took M I was sure I failed and got a pretty good score. So then I knew I could pass C without having to study too much more and felt pretty good about my pretty bad experience in the C exam room.

Sort of hoping APMV could tell me the same thing about FETE. On the other hand, if I lose, hopefully APMV will be easier next time having seen the material once before. And I'll know that I'm already screwed for FETE. :tup:

hamstrman
06-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Yeah, basically. :tup:

Back when I took M I was sure I failed and got a pretty good score. So then I knew I could pass C without having to study too much more and felt pretty good about my pretty bad experience in the C exam room.

Sort of hoping APMV could tell me the same thing about FETE. On the other hand, if I lose, hopefully APMV will be easier next time having seen the material once before. And I'll know that I'm already screwed for FETE. :tup:

I'm the same way. And then I get to hear about how my misery after the exams falls on deaf ears because I don't actually fail the exams...

I don't care how easy APMV gets, it's still 6.5 hours. Dreadful.

I'm now in the mopey "I want my results" phase...

hamstrman
07-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Alright, I'm officially in crazy mode. My friends won't talk to me until the 14th of July if I even mention the exam... :crying:

Mr. BoH
07-02-2008, 08:51 AM
This gnawing feeling in my stomach just keeps getting worse every day.

sundwarf
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Why can't we just get the results today too...

Car'a'carn
07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
This way the society's web site is twice as popular.

namssa
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
It would be nice if the SOA would just send out an email as soon as they determine who the passing candidates are to inform candidates that results are posted. They wouldn't have to wait until their planned announcement date and we wouldn't be constantly checking the web site.

Google
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
It would be nice if the SOA would just send out an email as soon as they determine who the passing candidates are to inform candidates that results are posted. They wouldn't have to wait until their planned announcement date and we wouldn't be constantly checking the web site.

The SOA sends out an email to FAP candidates to communicate the pass/fail result of the paper, but it is still quicker to find out the results (by a day or many hours) via checking out the personal FAP record for any updates.

Same with the CFA Institute, CFA candidates check the CFA website obsessively days before the exact day of the results release date (?) and by the time CFA Institute sends out the email informing everyone that the results are available everyone has already found out the results from the website.

The lesson learned is that the candidates obsess and check their email/website/forums frantically no matter how the results are communicated. :judge:

namssa
07-02-2008, 01:45 PM
As long as I pass this exam, I don't care what the SOA does in the future. They can send the results out via message in bottle thrown in the ocean for all I care. It seems reasonable that they could send out an email when they post results, but hopefully this will be the last sitting when it would affect me.

Laurelinda
07-02-2008, 06:16 PM
As long as I pass this exam, I don't care what the SOA does in the future. They can send the results out via message in bottle thrown in the ocean for all I care. It seems reasonable that they could send out an email when they post results, but hopefully this will be the last sitting when it would affect me.

For preliminary exams they send out an email from "ombudsperson@soa" when the results are posted, don't they?

namssa
07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
For preliminary exams they send out an email from "ombudsperson@soa" when the results are posted, don't they?

I don't know. It's been a few years since I took a preliminary exam.

examwritter
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
The central grading was over. What takes them so long to post the results?

Google
07-03-2008, 01:25 PM

They do it for FAP paper when the grader makes the pass/fail decision.