PDA

View Full Version : NCCI state code decoding

actuary_zhang
07-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I have a data set from NCCI, but the state is coded using a two-digit state number. It goes from 1 to 54, but I have no idea whether it corresponds to the state alphabetically. I googled it and searched the NCCI website, but still can't find the instruction of how the NCCI has coded it. So will somebody please give me some advice or provide me with such an instruction file? Thanks so much.

actuary_zhang
07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Does anybody have any comments?
Or does anybody know the NCCI state number for Florida? Is it 9 or 10?

Simply Brilliant
07-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Does anybody have any comments?
Or does anybody know the NCCI state number for Florida? Is it 9 or 10?

Florida is 9, georgia is 10, I don't know where to find the list but I know them almost by heart.

Why are you working today? PM me for any other ones you can't figure out

Maphisto's Sidekick
07-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Codes 01-49 are the 48 continental United States and the District of Columbia, in alphabetical order. Alaska and Hawai'i are 52 and 54, respectively.

actuary_zhang
07-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks you two. The data now make much more sense.

Florida is 9, georgia is 10, I don't know where to find the list but I know them almost by heart.

Why are you working today? PM me for any other ones you can't figure out

I got the whole messy data the day before the holiday, without any coding instruction. That makes me really uncomfortable and I can't stop looking at it again. Anyway, you guys really help me a lot.

Levin
07-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Codes 01-49 are the 48 continental United States and the District of Columbia, in alphabetical order. Alaska and Hawai'i are 52 and 54, respectively.
Is it alphabetical by actual state name, or by postal code?

Aluan
07-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Is it alphabetical by actual state name, or by postal code?

By actual state name. For example, Indiana (IN) is 13, Iowa (IA) is 14, and Mississippi (MS) is 23, Missouri (MO) is 24.

DC is 8, by the way.

Alaska and Hawaii are after all the other states because they became states only in 1959.

Jonas Grumby
07-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Alaska and Hawaii are after all the other states because they became states only in 1959.

Plus nobody believes they actually exist.

cubs1908
07-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Don't forget Puerto Rico!
PR=58

IAm@Work.com
07-09-2008, 09:01 AM
And don't forget that these codes predate Castro, so one of them (I think 55) is Cuba.

Maphisto's Sidekick
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
I dug up a state code table finally.

After WY=49, I see

52=HI
54=AK
55=AS/FM/MH/MP/PW (not sure if this is official)
58=PR
59=VI

Above that are codes that may be proprietary to my company, although the first of those, 60=Canada, has been common to 3 of the 4 companies I've worked for. (The fourth company had proprietary codes for each of the provinces and territories.)

Guam has an insanely high number on the list I'm looking at now...but I'd bet that it has an official code in the 50's (56, maybe?)

Also, for some reason, I want to say that 57=CZ.

actuary_zhang
07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
What's the insane number for Guam?
I am not asking it for my project. I just have a friend from Guam, which makes me a little curious at Guam.

Maphisto's Sidekick
07-10-2008, 12:20 AM
On the proprietary list I was referencing, after Canada comes a long list of countries in semi-random order.

The high numbers (61+), random order, and the fact that I haven't seen a list like this at other companies has me believing this is an internal set of codes piggybacked onto the standard state code list. Since it's probably an internal list...I probably shouldn't share details.

However, I can say that Guam is next-to-last on the list...almost as if an IT person isn't aware of Guam's relationship with the U.S. :)

Simply Brilliant
07-10-2008, 10:28 AM
On the proprietary list I was referencing, after Canada comes a long list of countries in semi-random order.

The high numbers (61+), random order, and the fact that I haven't seen a list like this at other companies has me believing this is an internal set of codes piggybacked onto the standard state code list. Since it's probably an internal list...I probably shouldn't share details.

However, I can say that Guam is next-to-last on the list...almost as if an IT person isn't aware of Guam's relationship with the U.S. :)

Does it go something like 61=AB, 62=BC? I can keep on going to the through the mid 90's after that my knowledge stops.

Maphisto's Sidekick
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Does it go something like 61=AB, 62=BC?

The list I was looking at? No. 60=Canada, and beyond that it quickly heads into international randomness.

IAm@Work.com
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I've always thought of these as standard ISO codes, but I know their existence long preceded the establishment of ISO in its current form.

This is Canada:

Postal Code State Name State Code
AB Alberta 61
BC British Columbia 62
MB Manitoba 63
NB New Bruswick 64
NS Nova Scotia 66
ON Ontario 67
PE Prince Edward Island 68
QC Quebec 69
SK Saskatchewan 70
NT Northwest Territory 71
YT Yukon Territory 72
NU NUNAVUT 73
NF Newfoundland 75

So far as I know, 60 = Canada is not official, as it is a Country Code and not a State Code. Pay no attention to the fact that Canada has no states. Provinces are just as good and it isn't worth trying to set up a separate Province Code and getting all confused with the US states (of which there are only 46; we don't call any of them Commenwealth codes either.)

FWIW, there is also an official US Government set of FIPS codes which are numeric in alphabetical order with AK and HI in the right place.

JMO
07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
FWIW, there is also an official US Government set of FIPS codes which are numeric in alphabetical order with AK and HI in the right place.
Wonderful. Conversion process, here we come. :tfh:

Cho Da
07-10-2008, 06:46 PM

Yes, but FIPS state codes have gaps.

STATE
AL 01
AK 02
AZ 04
AR 05
CA 06
CO 08
[...]

and the leading 0 is required.