07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
PASSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waha
07-11-2008, 11:24 AM
That was a pleasant surprise. Passed !

FAC here I come.

AAA
07-11-2008, 11:25 AM
:toast::rimshot:Congralutaions to myself!!!!!!

So f***cing happy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap::santa::toth::rofl::party::party::party: :party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

Will Durant
07-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Unbelievable. I passed.

:party:

Mr. BoH
07-11-2008, 11:27 AM
JAM manual for sale!

hamstrman
07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I figure I'll balance out the bias. I did not pass.

namssa
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I passed. Now I'm wondering if I want to come back from lunch or just stay at the bar...

AAA
07-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I passed. Now I'm wondering if I want to come back from lunch or just stay at the bar...

Not working today? Lucky you!

namssa
07-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Not working today? Lucky you!

I should clarify. I am at work. I can't say that I'm working, though.

I was pondering getting an early start to the weekend, since I expect to be just as worthless in the afternoon.

sundwarf
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I figure I'll balance out the bias. I did not pass.

It's sad to hear that. From your posts prior to the exam I know you really understood the stuff. Cheer up, and roll with ease next time!

AAA
07-11-2008, 12:12 PM
I should clarify. I am at work. I can't say that I'm working, though.

I was pondering getting an early start to the weekend, since I expect to be just as worthless in the afternoon.

Same here!!!!:toast::toast::toast:

TiderInsider
07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
DONE!!!! (with actuarial exams that is...)

hamstrman
07-11-2008, 12:18 PM
It's sad to hear that. From your posts prior to the exam I know you really understood the stuff. Cheer up, and roll with ease next time!

Yeah, everyone and their mother likes to tell me that I "understand the material so well". My personal favorite was "You ARE going to pass. You're being ridiculous!"

Eroboy
07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
This is the first time that I do not want to work after passing the exam.

I feel guilty for that.

remilard
07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
DONE!!!! (with actuarial exams that is...)

Ditto

TiderInsider
07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
DittoSee you in December?

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Congrats Everyone!!!

I, unfortunately, did not pass. I guess that indexed GIC question was a call option after all :shrug:

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Congrats Everyone!!!

I, unfortunately, did not pass. I guess that indexed GIC question was a call option after all :shrug:

Just kidding!!! I passed.:tup:

The debate continues.

I know. I am an a$$. I just couldn't help myself.

waha
07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Just kidding!!! I passed.:tup:

The debate continues.

I know. I am an a$$. I just couldn't help myself.

You are very unique. I have not seen anyone posting here that would make a joke like this.

Anyway, congrats.

inexactuary
07-11-2008, 01:32 PM
You are very unique.

You don't know how true that is. In a good way, though.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-11-2008, 01:36 PM
You are very unique. I have not seen anyone posting here that would make a joke like this.

Anyway, congrats.

Yeah. I am like the Andy Kaufman of the AO.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-11-2008, 01:41 PM
You don't know how true that is. In a good way, though.

Dad!!! How many times have I told you to quit posting here?!?!

You're embarassing me!:oops:

waha
07-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah. I am like the Andy Kaufman of the AO.

Got it! I should've known better.

On a side note, not I am complaining here, but why SOA posted results so early today, any particular reason? From all my result-waiting experience, there has not been a single time that SOA had done it in an expected way, it is always something different. Are they playing games with us?
The good thing is that I won't have to play anymore.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
.... Are they playing games with us?

Yes. They obviously are. Exam results 10:00 a.m.? Unheard of.

The good thing is that I won't have to play anymore.

Sweeeeeet!!!:toast::tup:

Hayden
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes. They obviously are. Exam results 10:00 a.m.? Unheard of.

Sweeeeeet!!!:toast::tup:

They were released about the same time in January, I think.

Hayden
07-11-2008, 04:00 PM
See you in December?

Me too. Hopefully I'll finally feel motivated to finish the FSA modules.

Google
07-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Didn't pass, this was my second attempt (accounting for 8V attempt in 2005). Assuming that the pass rate was around 40%, I belong to the other 60% of losers with a ruined weekend ahead of them. Now I have to focus on avoiding everyone that knows that I took the exam.

remilard
07-11-2008, 06:29 PM
See you in December?

Probably, as long as I finish the modules.

Laurelinda
07-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Greetings from down under, where exam results arrive on the weekend! I bought an internet card at my hotel in Cairns to check results. :D

I'm a little dazed...but I think I saw my number...

hw0799
07-13-2008, 03:10 AM
why December , not september?
See you in December?

TiderInsider
07-13-2008, 09:04 AM
cuz I still got some FSA modules to finish.

BTBU
07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
why December , not september?

Yeah, why not septembet?

I don't hope there will be so many people contesting the seats in December. I will have to attend the December one due to the tiresome visa. Can't catch the September one due to the limited time, I think.

FoxtrotFool
07-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I passed too! Found out that I got a 7, and am very happy. :) (you can go and get your transcript online and see your score)

I think SOA will contact those of us who is all finished regarding FAC, and those who still have modules probably won't make the Aug. 1st deadline, since even if you rush to finish them, you still have to wait till SOA contacts you.

namssa
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
I passed too! Found out that I got a 7, and am very happy. :) (you can go and get your transcript online and see your score)

I got a 7, too. I expected something higher, but am glad to pass.

waha
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
I got a 7, too. I expected something higher, but am glad to pass.

I suspect that 7 is the highest score they gave out, kidding :)
I got a 7 as well which is somewhat bittersweet, I felt that I did terrible
on the calculation part (don't think that I had a single one completely nailed)
but I felt much better with the essay part which is just the opposite of how I felt about my FET exam which I scored a 8, so go figure.

namssa
07-14-2008, 04:17 PM

I'm willing to accept this hypothesis:tup:

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I got a 7 as well which is somewhat bittersweet, I felt that I did terrible
on the calculation part (don't think that I had a single one completely nailed)
but I felt much better with the essay part which is just the opposite of how I felt about my FET exam which I scored a 8, so go figure.

I'm willing to accept this hypothesis

Sorry guys. I know they gave out at least one 10 :wave:

It is amazing though. I wasn't even sure that I passed. Then I saw my score. That just boggles my mind.

As far as the calculation questions go. You may be interested to know that I didn't even touch my calculator for half of them. And didn't get solid answers for half of the ones I did.

I started with writing out the necessary formulas and exlpaining the calcs in steps. I only put in numbers if I had time left for that question after I answered the other parts. Many of them that was all I did. Detailed instructions and formulas. I wasn't going to waste time fiddling with my calculator when I could get the point across perfectly with words. The actual answers are always only worth a small fraction of the points. You can easily get a 10 on a calc question without actually doing a single calculation.

I used the time I saved wisely with complete answers on the rest of the question.

I plan to do the same on FETE in the fall.

namssa
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Congratulations! I don't know of anyone else who's had a 10 on this exam.

remilard
07-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I got a 10.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Congratulations! I don't know of anyone else who's had a 10 on this exam.

:toth:

Thanks!:toast:

waha
07-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Now I know who are responsible for pushing me down to 7 :) my lowest score ever. Seriously, congratulations to both of you!

invisibulman
07-15-2008, 12:19 AM
I didn't even check results until this afternoon... i was that sure i had failed. Somehow i also managed a 7...:shrug: I am honestly flabbergasted.

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Now I know who are responsible for pushing me down to 7 :) my lowest score ever. Seriously, congratulations to both of you!

Thanks. Really. I have a baby on the way due in October (2 weeks before FETE :tup:), so I was just busting my a$$ trying not to fail. Being my first essay exam I had no clue what to expect, but I didn't want to have to be away studying everyday again while my wife was at home with the baby next spring. The additional income from the raise I would get to help with the baby was also a big factor. I can't describe the motivation it gave me.

Due to work I didn't even look at the syllabus until March. The next 10 - 11 weeks I ate slept and breathed APM.

That the best advice I can give anyone. Get your wife pregnant. You find motivation and focus you never knew existed within yourself. This was my first 10 on an exam, if that says anything.

I didn't even check results until this afternoon... i was that sure i had failed. Somehow i also managed a 7...:shrug: I am honestly flabbergasted.

Tell me about it. I wasn't even confident I passed. I was optimistic, but not confident. I had the same reaction when I saw my score yesterday that I did when I saw that I passed on friday. I almost passed out.

You just can't tell with these exams. I don't think it's possible to be confident no matter how well you think you did.

This exam was an eye opening experience, to say the least.

waha
07-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Although I didn't get my wife pregnant again, I understand where you come from. Not wanting to see the disappointment on my 6-year old son's face knowing that dad had to study and can't play with him was enough motivation for me.

I am not surprised about your not looking at the syllabus until March statement. I admitted that even though I knew this was my last exam and all those motivations, I just couldn't get started until April after returning from Carmody's seminar due to a variety of work-related and personal-related reasons. Sure I had passed FET and there were some overlaps, but still the sheer volume... I guess that what I am trying to say is that short-term cramping worked at least for both of us. Not suggesting this for everyone since everyone is different but starting 6 months before the exam just doesn't work for me.

I agree 100% that you just can't tell with these essay exams at all.

Thanks. Really. I have a baby on the way due in October (2 weeks before FETE :tup:), so I was just busting my a$$ trying not to fail. Being my first essay exam I had no clue what to expect, but I didn't want to have to be away studying everyday again while my wife was at home with the baby next spring. The additional income from the raise I would get to help with the baby was also a big factor. I can't describe the motivation it gave me.

Due to work I didn't even look at the syllabus until March. The next 10 - 11 weeks I ate slept and breathed APM.

That the best advice I can give anyone. Get your wife pregnant. You find motivation and focus you never knew existed within yourself. This was my first 10 on an exam, if that says anything.

Tell me about it. I wasn't even confident I passed. I was optimistic, but not confident. I had the same reaction when I saw my score yesterday that I did when I saw that I passed on friday. I almost passed out.

You just can't tell with these exams. I don't think it's possible to be confident no matter how well you think you did.

This exam was an eye opening experience, to say the least.

sundwarf
07-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I got the score that I was expecting. As a retrospective I have a pretty good track record in predicting scores for both FET and APM. I guess I should volunteer to be a grader next year just because of this!

campbell
07-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I got the score that I was expecting. As a retrospective I have a pretty good track record in predicting scores for both FET and APM. I guess I should volunteer to be a grader next year just because of this!

The more the merrier!

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-15-2008, 10:03 AM
...Sure I had passed FET and there were some overlaps, but still the sheer volume... I guess that what I am trying to say is that short-term cramping worked at least for both of us. Not suggesting this for everyone since everyone is different but starting 6 months before the exam just doesn't work for me.

I agree 100% that you just can't tell with these essay exams at all.

Absolutley. Always been a crammer, always will be. Not sure I would have studied before March even if I could have. I need pressure on me to focus. That's just how I operate.

Like you said, everyone's different. Cramming doesn't work for everyone.

bdschobel
07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Sorry guys. I know they gave out at least one 10 :wave: It's quite unusual on a written-answer exam to have a passmark so high that a score of 10 (at least 140% of the passmark) is impossible. This happens occasionally on multiple-choice exams, but it's rare.

Bruce

waha
07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
The more the merrier!

Campbell, I am seriously considering volunteering for the grading like you did.
Not only will it keep me fresh of the materials but it also satisfies my
curiosity of what really went on with these essay exams.
What are the committment I am looking at? How do I get started?
Is sending Bruce an email a good start?

campbell
07-15-2008, 11:29 AM
To volunteer for grading FETE or APMV, I'd email the exam committee chairs:

For FETE:
http://soa.org/leadership/committees/exam-basic-edu-committees/finance-erm-inv-fet.aspx

http://soa.org/leadership/committees/exam-basic-edu-committees/advanced-portfolio-management.aspx

I think Charles V. Ford may be the best to contact for that, he's on both committees, and I think he's the overall chair right now (the committee listed for FET is from last year.)

The Smokin' Cracktuary
07-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Campbell, I am seriously considering volunteering for the grading like you did.
Not only will it keep me fresh of the materials but it also satisfies my
curiosity of what really went on with these essay exams.
What are the committment I am looking at? How do I get started?
Is sending Bruce an email a good start?

Everyone that I have talked to (including the Chief actuary and CRO at my Co.) that has graded exams said it was a good experience and they recommended volunteering sometime. The did also mention how much it helped retain/refresh previously learned material as well as learn a good deal of new material.

I am considering it myself when I am done (1 more!!!! (hopefully)).

campbell
07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
I always promised myself I'd grade after making FSA, just to see how the sausage was made (and to let others know about it (http://soa.org/library/newsletters/the-future-actuary/2008/spring/fut-2008-spring-campbell.aspx).)

It's also a good time meeting other actuaries (always love actuarial meetings) and grading is usually in a nice location (I graded in Savannah, Ga. last December - great food! Easy to walk around). I happen to think the FETE folks are a fun crew, and we don't =always= talk about actuarial things. ;)

FoxtrotFool
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I took 8V twice, and APMV twice, but because I had PD credits, I did not take the FET. Plus I went through all 3 CFA exams. Think I know enough to be a competent FET grader?

Google
07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
I took 8V twice, and APMV twice, but because I had PD credits, I did not take the FET. Plus I went through all 3 CFA exams. Think I know enough to be a competent FET grader?

Same here, I am a CFA and got credit for FET via PD. Took 8V once, APMV once, didn't pass. Struggled with low motivation while studying for 8V and APMV. I can't stand to look at that material ever again, I am taking AFE instead.

campbell
07-15-2008, 01:18 PM

Well, I didn't take FET either, and I graded it last year.

Graders are given grading outlines which include how many points for particular parts, as well as references to where in the readings the item came from, as well as access to the readings (online), as well as a grading partner and committee vice-chairs who can help you if you're having trouble with the problem you're asked to grade.