PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl

jets fan
01-03-2002, 08:33 AM
What does everyone think about the AFC (http://www.nfl.com/probowl/2002/roster_afc.html) and NFC (http://www.nfl.com/probowl/2002/roster_nfc.html) selections?

3 Jets!!! Those 3 (and more) better have big games on Sunday!

Brad Spirrison
01-03-2002, 11:17 AM
I am disappointed that there is only 1 player from the league's best scoring defense (Urlacher). I also think that Roosevelt Colvin should have made it instead of Jesse Armstead ---> He is having a very average year and is vastly overrated. On the other hand I am surprised that 2 Bears made it on offense. I think it's ironic that Carolina's punter and kick returner both made the team. I guess it proves that practice does make perfect. Other than that, Mike Alstott doesn't play fullback (I've never seen him in the same backfield as W. Dunn) and Warren Sapp has had a very average year.

moj
01-03-2002, 11:49 AM
Does anyone watch the pro bowl? I have no interest in it.

treyso
01-03-2002, 12:00 PM
I don't watch the Pro Bowl.

Being a Packer fan, I snicker when I see that Bubba Franks made it. For his TD stats alone I assure you. But then who else in the NFC would be a deserving TE?

Warren Sapp didn't deserve it. He didn't do a thing against the Pack or Bears twice. At least that jerkoff Moss didn't make it.

Anonymous
01-03-2002, 12:02 PM
The AFC quarterbacks look weak.

jets fan
01-03-2002, 12:10 PM
I also think the pro Bowl is on the boring side - they are NOT giving their best effort. But it IS the last football event of the season and I usually watch part of it.

I think it's fun to debate who made it vs. who "should have" made it - everyone has their own opinions. I'm satisfied that 3 of my guys made it (they were the three that I thought were locks), although I might be able to make a case for a few others. I think there are always a few 'popularity votes' that don't really deserve to make the cut.

Brad Spirrison
01-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Bettis didn't make it as a fullback, as a running back. As far as NFC tight ends go, Steven Alexander of the Redskins is injured, Byron Chamberl(a)in of the Vikings and the guy from Atlanta whose name escapes me were both more deserving.

Anonymous
01-03-2002, 01:28 PM
Bubba Franks leads tight ends in touchdowns and fifth among all receivers despite playing on a terrible team. :wink:

treyso
01-03-2002, 01:33 PM
More deserving? If his name escapes you, he must not be that good. I heard his name twice this season. Alge Crumpler. Chamberlain is decent, he only had 3 TDs and I saw one of them last weekend.

Only 2 receivers had more TDs than Franks - Owens and Moss.

Walls had 5 TDs and he is probably the most consistent of the Panthers. You can tell me there are 2 TEs with better numbers than Bubba?

Its all about #s. That is why Sapp made it, cause he has 6 sacks. Otherwise his attitude is sharing a couch with Moss.

And I agree about William Henderson. If he doesn't make it as a FB, then how about as a special teamer. He's laid out some bruises this season. Definitely an unrecognized talent at FB. Dorsey Levens once played FB (1995), but he didn't make the Pro Bowl in 1997 as a FB, Alstott's selection at FB is a joke.

treyso
01-03-2002, 01:35 PM
On 2002-01-03 12:28, Draco Malfoy wrote:
Bubba Franks leads tight ends in touchdowns and fifth among all receivers despite playing on a terrible team. :wink:

Oh boy. Don't even go there. If 11-4 is terrible, then what is mediocre or good?

Anonymous
01-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Only 2 receivers had more TDs than Franks... in the NFC. Check the AFC stats.

:grin: A good team wins their division. Actually I want the Pack to win the NFC since the Saints and Arizona can't. It's nice to see the weak teams win. :grin:

Anonymous
01-03-2002, 02:24 PM
For NFC tightend, how about Chamberlain of the Vikings? He leads the position with 54 receptions.

Armstead and Sapp are on based on career, not just this year.

Anonymous
01-03-2002, 02:31 PM
They can match up against St. Louis as well as anybody!
Yeah, but that ain't sayin' much. :shake: I don't want the Rams to win, but they should be favored by more than a touchdown against anyone.

Shrek
01-03-2002, 03:16 PM
On 2002-01-03 13:21, mister nacho wrote:
McNabb can't be stopped!
Yeah he can. Week in and week out his numbers stink, and pretty much match his lame play on the field. Philly's riding their D, not McNabb's arm and legs.

treyso
01-03-2002, 03:49 PM
On 2002-01-03 13:11, Draco Malfoy wrote:
Only 2 receivers had more TDs than Franks... in the NFC. Check the AFC stats.

Because AFC TEs can be elected to the NFC team. I was arguing NFC, not NFL. Get it fixed.

Abducens
01-03-2002, 04:35 PM
>>But when the playoffs start... watch it! They can match up against St. Louis as well as anybody!

You guys perfected the "fall on the ball" drill yet? hee

treyso
01-03-2002, 04:52 PM
How about McNabb's performance against the Redskins? Or the one against the 49ers which cost me a fantasy football playoff victory.

Han Solo
01-03-2002, 06:11 PM
Tony Banks does it every week! If "it" is fumbling!

Anonymous
01-03-2002, 07:29 PM
McNabb's best chance in the playoffs is if he sits on the bench this Sunday. The Bucs have the type of defense to shut him down totally: great cover guys and quick backers to spy on him. And since the Bucs have only a puncher's chance in the playoffs, they will try to take out as many key Eagle starters as they can get their hands on.

McNabb isn't in the Pro Bowl anyway so why did you get me all worked up talking about him?! Maybe someone would like to explain why the hell Bruce Matthews is going as the C and not Jeff Hartings? It's not every day an all-pro guard signs a $25 million contract knowing full well he will have to change positions in the middle of his great career.... and did the Lions miss him....

jets fan
01-04-2002, 08:24 AM
Did Nacho say Pisarcik? That was Herman Edwards's defining moment (http://www.bergen.com/jets/jets2320010823.htm) as a player!

Han Solo
01-04-2002, 08:26 AM
3sheets: That's why if I were Philly, I'd play virtually no starters this weekend. Also I'd run nothing from the normal playbook.

And Bruce Matthews is going since he's playing in I think his 48th season or something, and because he's been there before and people remember that when voting. "Let's see, who's on the ballot this year... Matthews, yeh, I think he went last year, so I'll vote for him again.." Once you make the Pro Bowl once you're a made man.

And I'll just put in my hometown gripes now for Champ Bailey not making it over Ronde Barber. Champ is one of the best cover corners in the game and the team knows it and sets him up man to man against the opponents best receiver the entire game. He can shut down receivers like Barber can only dream about.

Patience
01-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Jets fan: now name both coaches and the running back

jets fan
01-04-2002, 09:42 AM
I know Csonka was the running back and Vermeil was the coach of the Eagles. As for the Giants, was it Ray Perkins? I'm not sure about that!

treyso
01-04-2002, 10:07 AM
On 2002-01-04 07:26, Han Solo wrote:
And I'll just put in my hometown gripes now for Champ Bailey not making it over Ronde Barber. Champ is one of the best cover corners in the game and the team knows it and sets him up man to man against the opponents best receiver the entire game. He can shut down receivers like Barber can only dream about.

He may be good, but I saw his sorry a$$ get lit up by the Pack. Ronde Barber makes things happen with 9 picks and he plays on a much better team that Champ. Ronde WAS the Tampa Defense this year. Champ probably is a better player, but Ronde had a better year.

Brad Spirrison
01-04-2002, 11:26 AM
On the other hand, Marty Booker burned Ronde Barber for three long touchdowns about a month ago, so I would vote for Champ Bailey or even McKinzie ahead of Barber.

jets fan
01-04-2002, 01:37 PM
Nacho - it was a sparking of the memory! A good sparking at that, but I don't think I'll be able to count on Rich Gannon doing the same thing this week, although it would be OK by me! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jets fan on 2002-01-04 12:38 ]</font>

DonkeyPunch (Banned)
01-04-2002, 05:13 PM
How bout that Eagles/Bucs game? If I were the coach, I'd run nothing but triple reverses and the old fumblerooski.