PDA

View Full Version : Should the profession speak out on the current crisis?

JMO
10-14-2008, 08:42 AM
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?p=3215082#post3215082

ACCtuary
10-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Absolutely. Actuaries presumably have a risk management function and is one of the few communities that can address the issue of how off balance sheet transactions transfer risk. We also need people who can speak on these matters with a long term view.

JMO
10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Absolutely. Actuaries presumably have a risk management function and is one of the few communities that can address the issue of how off balance sheet transactions transfer risk. We also need people who can speak on these matters with a long term view.
So, why hasn't it happened yet? Other than talking to ourselves, I mean. And which actuarial organization (if any) should be spokesperson?

WWSituation
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
To me, the radio silence is a giant statement of weakness on behalf of the SOA and MAAA. There was an opportunity to be heard if they have something worthwhile to say, but it appears that they do not.

kazh
10-15-2008, 11:50 AM
I've heard there are three types of people: 1) Those who make things happen,

2) Those who watch things happen

and

3) Those who wonder what happened

It's time to move the actuarial profession into group 1. :judge:

California
10-15-2008, 12:22 PM
President to be Mike and Hubert (in my mind the expert on ERM) are among the speakers.

The Emerging Financial Crisis: Impact and Implications
10:30a.m. - Noon, Tuesday, October 21
Canary Room

Moderator: Mike McLaughlin, FSA, CERA, FIA, MAAA, Deloitte.

Panelists: Zvi Bodie, Ph.D., Boston University School of Management
Hubert Mueller, FSA, CERA, MAAA, Towers Perrin
Andrew D. Smith, Deloitte UK
Robert Swanton, Standard & Poor's

JMO
10-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Check the thread in my OP. The AAA is at least thinking about making a public statement.

WWSituation
10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
President to be Mike and Hubert (in my mind the expert on ERM) are among the speakers.

The Emerging Financial Crisis: Impact and Implications
10:30a.m. - Noon, Tuesday, October 21
Canary Room

Moderator: Mike McLaughlin, FSA, CERA, FIA, MAAA, Deloitte.

Panelists: Zvi Bodie, Ph.D., Boston University School of Management
Hubert Mueller, FSA, CERA, MAAA, Towers Perrin
Andrew D. Smith, Deloitte UK
Robert Swanton, Standard & Poor's

Is this a public webcast? If so, this is a good start. I'd love to hear what guys like Zvi Bodie and Andrew Smith are thinking.

JMO
10-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Is this a public webcast? If so, this is a good start. I'd love to hear what guys like Zvi Bodie and Andrew Smith are thinking.
I think it is a session at the Annual meeting.

ETA - confirmed. Again, check the link in the OP.

ACCtuary
10-15-2008, 03:29 PM
So, why hasn't it happened yet? Other than talking to ourselves, I mean. And which actuarial organization (if any) should be spokesperson?

I think you know the answer to the first. For the second, I would say the AAA, since they are supposed to be the public policy and advocacy arm of our profession.