PDA

View Full Version : So when is everyone getting started

Size17
11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't know if I have recovered from FETE yet. And I find it really hard to see myself starting before the holidays.

jitian1000
11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Should we relax now and start studying after Christmas?

modog814
11-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I plan on easing myself into studying around mid-December

Allacalander
11-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm going to start as soon as I finish the module. I'm on the exercise now, so I'm hoping to start before Thanksgiving.

I'm a first time APM-taker, so that is another factor making me start early.

examwritter
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm going to start as soon as I finish the module. I'm on the exercise now, so I'm hoping to start before Thanksgiving.

I've just registered for the Financial Economic module....how long it takes to complete one? Is the book reading part necessary?

modog814
11-13-2008, 01:50 PM

This is basically what I'm doing but I'm still waiting for my company to give me the textbooks for the module.

Allacalander
11-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Is the book reading part necessary?

That's debatable. A lot of it coincides with FETE material, but there's also some different stuff. All in all, I'd say the readings are probably not essential for the exercise.

You can just look at the exercise and determine how you feel about it. If it looks doable, you're good to go, if not, do some readings. Either way, you should at least skim the readings. Guilt will get you if you don't.

Khazmodain
11-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Everyone's favorite book.. Hardy's Investment Guarantees is really all you need for the exercise. If you're already familiar with it, you should be pretty well off.

examwritter
11-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Everyone's favorite book.. Hardy's Investment Guarantees is really all you need for the exercise. If you're already familiar with it, you should be pretty well off.

Thanks guys :toast: ..... I will skim through the reading then .....How long the exercise takes? Is one weekend enough?

buyanbai
11-19-2008, 02:51 AM
How long does it take to finish the modules, from reading the notes to finish the exercise?
Does the module of investment strategy related to the Advanced Portfolio Management Exam?
I plan to take Financial econ module, then the Investment strategy, and then Advanced Portfolio Management exam..
But I havent started any one of them..
Is it possible to finish 2 modules + 1 exam from now before April 2008?
Do u suggest me so??
Any fds have plans ??
Thanks for your advice.

modog814
11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
How long does it take to finish the modules, from reading the notes to finish the exercise?
Does the module of investment strategy related to the Advanced Portfolio Management Exam?
I plan to take Financial econ module, then the Investment strategy, and then Advanced Portfolio Management exam..
Do u suggest me so??
Any fds have plans ??
Thanks for your advice.

I would only take 1 of the modules and then start studying for APM and then take the other module while awaiting results of APM.

It took me about 2 and a half weeks to finish the financial economics module.

invisibulman
11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Do u suggest me so??
Any fds have plans ??
Thanks for your advice.

I took the FE module in November of last year and the Investment module in December followed APM in the Spring. I was able to pass all three but it was pretty rough. I think the investment module did help with some background for APM, but probably was not the tipping point. In retrospect i might have liked a little more time to prep for APM since it was my first essay exam. If you have already taken FET you might have a leg up. Otherwise it might be safest to take 1 module now and one after the exam.

buyanbai
11-19-2008, 07:43 PM
do u read all the books and readings for the modules?? it takes pretty long
i m currently planning how i would allocate the time

invisibulman
11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I, at least, skimmed every article or reading. Some i spent more time with, others not much at all. It took me about 2.5-3 weeks to get through the module and then a couple of days to work through the project. The jam i got into was holiday events rolled around in December, then year end reporting in January... so, i didn't really get started on APM until late January and felt really pressed for time.

buyanbai
11-20-2008, 05:28 PM
I, at least, skimmed every article or reading. Some i spent more time with, others not much at all. It took me about 2.5-3 weeks to get through the module and then a couple of days to work through the project. The jam i got into was holiday events rolled around in December, then year end reporting in January... so, i didn't really get started on APM until late January and felt really pressed for time.

and still u got passed ?
thats strong

how many hours , i would say , u expect for each module, or the AMPV exam,
for outsiders... i mean, i m not working in investment field, instead, in pension field

buyanbai
11-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Do u suggest me so??
Any fds have plans ??
Thanks for your advice.

any friends can help?
thanks

Jasper07734
12-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm telling myself that I'm gonna start studying now. That way by the time I really start studying, I'll (hopefully) be in lock-step with the JAM study schedule.

invisibulman
12-05-2008, 12:59 PM
and still u got passed ?
thats strong

how many hours , i would say , u expect for each module, or the AMPV exam,
for outsiders... i mean, i m not working in investment field, instead, in pension field

I am also not in the investment field. My experience was in Individual. Modules, i probably spent 20-30 on the module and then another 5-10 on the project. As far as the exam... my hours are probably not a good guide since everyone studies at their own pace. I probably spent 60-70% more time studying for an essay exam than i did for the prelims.

Nef
01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Should I still plan on taking the exam if I start reading now?? The amount of material is RIDICULOUS!! God~!!

modog814
01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Should I still plan on taking the exam if I start reading now?? The amount of material is RIDICULOUS!! God~!!

I would think you still have enough time to get through the material and have a shot at passing. You're probably about a month behind so you'll have to make that time up somehow, but it's still doable.

invisibulman
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
This is about the time that i started studying when i took it last year. You should still be fine from a time prospective. Just need to commit a lot of hours. Highly recommend the JAM seminar as well.