PDA

View Full Version : ERM vs Advanced Portfolio Mgt Exam

buyanbai
11-26-2008, 08:42 PM
What's the difference between these two exam?
what candidates are suitable to which one
ERM vs Advanced Portfolio Mgt
wt are their prospects in career
and which is easier to take?

Max_Power
11-26-2008, 08:45 PM
AFE isn't easier than anything I can imagine in the depths of all my imagination.

examwritter
11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
AFE isn't easier than anything I can imagine in the depths of all my imagination.

haha.....

Some argues that if you are competing with your peers, then as long as they feel they same way, you are fine....

invisibulman
12-05-2008, 01:14 PM
What's the difference between these two exam?
what candidates are suitable to which one
ERM vs Advanced Portfolio Mgt
wt are their prospects in career
and which is easier to take?

Have a look at the syllabus and see if anything catches your eye. The advice i got was, "take the one you think you can pass." I had background in neither of these.

That said, my impression is that Investment is more about calculation of financial products and ERM is more about theory and corporate finance. There is certainly an overlap between the two and i debated each of these as well. Wouldn't say either one is easier than the other.

As far as career prospects, the ERM would get you the CERA designation. If you put any weight on that, it might be a consideration. Personally, i did not. ERM would seem better suited to do modeling and financial forecasting type stuff. APM gives you a more intimate familiarity with some of the complex investment vehicles that are out there. Would be strong in a corporate or investment policy role.

In the end, i opted for APM. While ERM probably has broader application, i thougt APM would give me a unique skill set that i could use. Either way, you need to choose what's right for you.

AKD
12-05-2008, 05:08 PM
When did you take the APM invisibulman? Did you pass it?

AKD
12-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Have a look at the syllabus and see if anything catches your eye. The advice i got was, "take the one you think you can pass." I had background in neither of these.

That said, my impression is that Investment is more about calculation of financial products and ERM is more about theory and corporate finance. There is certainly an overlap between the two and i debated each of these as well. Wouldn't say either one is easier than the other.

As far as career prospects, the ERM would get you the CERA designation. If you put any weight on that, it might be a consideration. Personally, i did not. ERM would seem better suited to do modeling and financial forecasting type stuff. APM gives you a more intimate familiarity with some of the complex investment vehicles that are out there. Would be strong in a corporate or investment policy role.

In the end, i opted for APM. While ERM probably has broader application, i thougt APM would give me a unique skill set that i could use. Either way, you need to choose what's right for you.

invisibulman
12-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Sat for it in the Spring. Yes, i passed. They did a huge re-write of the syllabus for this sitting though, so i'm not sure how comparable it is now.

hamstrman
12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Sat for it in the Spring. Yes, i passed. They did a huge re-write of the syllabus for this sitting though, so i'm not sure how comparable it is now.

61% of the material by page count is new stuff. OFD and Investment Guarantees are gone. Now none of the material has problems to practice with, with respect to the textbooks themselves.

invisibulman
12-09-2008, 08:30 AM
61% of the material by page count is new stuff. OFD and Investment Guarantees are gone. Now none of the material has problems to practice with, with respect to the textbooks themselves.

Yes. It looks like most of that got moved to FETE which applies to both tracks. I haven't looked very closely at the new APM syllabus. I was assuming Fabozzi was still prominent.

examwritter
12-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Yes. It looks like most of that got moved to FETE which applies to both tracks. I haven't looked very closely at the new APM syllabus. I was assuming Fabozzi was still prominent.

Fabozzi book was not tested at all last year......the amount of reading has significantly increased ....same thing for the ERM track....these two tracks somehow have the most amount of reading comparing others.....wonder who propose all the changes.....:judge:

twig93
01-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Fabozzi book was not tested at all last year......the amount of reading has significantly increased ....same thing for the ERM track....these two tracks somehow have the most amount of reading comparing others.....wonder who propose all the changes.....:judge:

Seriously? WTF? It's a huge portion of the syllabus, and from the cursory glance I've done through all the material, appears to be about the most interesting as well. It's hard to imagine they didn't test it at all... I hope that's not the case this sitting!