PDA

View Full Version : Fruit: Fresh vs Dried vs Freeze Dried...

06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Anyone have any idea about how much nutritional value is lost when a fruit is dried or freeze dried?

I know that in general, the less processing you do to a food, the more healthful it is.

But if I have a dried/freeze dried fruit that has no added suguar or preservatives - basically all the water's been removed, right?

I imagine there's little loss in the fiber content. How does the vitamin/mineral content stack up?

The Spocker
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
isn't freeze dried like that astronaut stuff? how do you make that?

Entropy
06-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Anyone have any idea about how much nutritional value is lost when a fruit is dried or freeze dried?

I know that in general, the less processing you do to a food, the more healthful it is.

But if I have a dried/freeze dried fruit that has no added suguar or preservatives - basically all the water's been removed, right?

I imagine there's little loss in the fiber content. How does the vitamin/mineral content stack up?

From what I understand, you don't lose a whole lot. Not enough to outweigh the important fact that you are actually eating fruit.

IMO :shrug:

JollyGoodFCAS
06-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I've never had dried fruit that didn't contain sulfites. Don't know how bad that is for you, but one time when I ate dried fruit in large quantities it wasn't pleasant.

06-10-2009, 02:07 PM
isn't freeze dried like that astronaut stuff? Yeah, it kind of melts in your mouth, it's not chewy like regular dried fruit. how do you make that?

I have no idea, but Trader Joe's sells bags of freeze dried strawberries, blueberries, mangos, and bananas, and my kid can't get enough of it.

JMO
06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
isn't freeze dried like that astronaut stuff? how do you make that?
You get it from your favorite astronaut.

Seriously, they freeze it, then place it in vacuum.

Easy to do in space. ;)

Google/wiki explanation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_drying

The Spocker
06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I have no idea, but Trader Joe's sells bags of freeze dried strawberries, blueberries, mangos, and bananas, and my kid can't get enough of it.

O RLY?? I may be making a run tonight... I love that stuff too and I rarely eat fruits (mostly because I buy them and they spoil before I get to touch them).

06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I've never had dried fruit that didn't contain sulfites. You can find it...Trader Joe's has it. Don't know how bad that is for you, but one time when I ate dried fruit in large quantities it wasn't pleasant.Might not have been the sulfites...if my hubby eats more than 3 or 4 dried apricots - without sulphur - well, it's not pleasant for the entire household.

06-10-2009, 02:12 PM
O RLY?? I may be making a run tonight... I love that stuff too and I rarely eat fruits (mostly because I buy them and they spoil before I get to touch them).
Yeah, check it out...they're in the dried fruit section, but they're in opaque bags (vs the reg dried fruit is all in clear bags).

They are really yummy. Kind of expensive, but I like that I can give my kid a fruit snack on the go without juice and peels and mess everywhere.

06-10-2009, 02:14 PM
From what I understand, you don't lose a whole lot. Not enough to outweigh the important fact that you are actually eating fruit.

IMO :shrug:
COOL.

Lucy
06-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Some vitamins and stuff breaks down with heat and time. Others are pretty stable. In general, the less heat used (and high heat for a short time can be less destructive than low heat for a long time, but it depends on the nutrient) and the less time its been sitting around the more nutrients it retains.

Yeah, except for packing a lot of sugar, the stuff is pretty decent nutritionally. And kids can usually handle a lot of sugar in their diets. Let your kid enjoy it.

Dr T Non-Fan
06-10-2009, 09:21 PM
You can find it...Trader Joe's has it. Might not have been the sulfites...if my hubby eats more than 3 or 4 dried apricots - without sulphur - well, it's not pleasant for the entire household.
Well, ask him if he'd eat 3 or 4 fresh apricots in a sitting. If the answer is no, then he shouldn't eat 3 or 4 dried ones. All the fiber is still there, and that's what is causing the unpleasantries. Fiber isn't bad, unless you eat a shitload of it (pun intended).

Bison
06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
No idea about the nutrition thing... but Trader Joe's freeze-dried blueberries are amazing.

The Spocker
06-11-2009, 01:23 AM
just got some tonight. yummy!! :tup:

ReserveRage
06-11-2009, 01:30 AM
How similar does it taste to astronaut ice cream? I love that stuff and haven't had it since I was a kid (by far the best thing about going to the gift shop on all those stupid grade school trips to the Science musuem)

http://www.csmisfun.com/UserFiles/Image/Gift%20Shop/Astro%20Ice%20cream.jpg

The Spocker
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
How similar does it taste to astronaut ice cream? I love that stuff and haven't had it since I was a kid (by far the best thing about going to the gift shop on all those stupid grade school trips to the Science musuem)

http://www.csmisfun.com/UserFiles/Image/Gift%20Shop/Astro%20Ice%20cream.jpg

It has the same crunchy, a littl powdery, melt in your mouth texture. Fruits tend to be on the sour side, which I personally love.

CaptainDingo
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
You should dry your own pineapples in a dehydrator. Those are amazing! Other fruits are good too.

vtek
06-11-2009, 10:52 AM

i have no idea which is more...healthful.

in theory, the nutrient content would be the same, but some water-soluble vitamins are lost in the drying process making fresh fruit more healthy. also, fresh fruit, because of its high water content, is more filling so you usually consume much less of it than dried fruit, which makes the latter a bad idea for anyone trying to lose weight.