PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Tell me about your internship experience

rockybalboa
10-14-2009, 04:18 AM
Interviewers, what do you like to hear when we talk about our internship experiences?

To be honest, my internship was not very overwhelming. I didn't do any amazing projects or brought major positive changes to my department. I basically did what I was told - routine tasks that weren't too exciting.

I would talk about the reports I did and the software I learned to use - that's all I can think of for now. Most interview books tell us to focus on results. But honestly, I didn't achieve any meaningful result for my firm when I was there for the few months. :slug:

Fourpeat
10-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Focus on what you learned, how you learned to deal with tedious tasks. Perhaps a general overview of what you worked on and how that related to the company's products. What did you like about it? What didn't you like?

Sure results are great, but interviews aren't just looking at what you can do, but what kind of person you are.

PinkFloydActuary
10-14-2009, 07:22 AM
I like to hear what you did and why you did it in some detail - in other words, what did you learn? I guess I agree with the book - where the results are the "why?"

If you say "I did what I was told", I'm worried you don't ask questions or didn't understand(worst case...didn't care.) So come up with something. What was the purpose of the reports? Did you analyze them at all to see if there were any conclusions you could draw from them?

WWSituation
10-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Interviewers, what do you like to hear when we talk about our internship experiences?

To be honest, my internship was not very overwhelming. I didn't do any amazing projects or brought major positive changes to my department. I basically did what I was told - routine tasks that weren't too exciting.

I would talk about the reports I did and the software I learned to use - that's all I can think of for now. Most interview books tell us to focus on results. But honestly, I didn't achieve any meaningful result for my firm when I was there for the few months. :slug:

Focusing on results is not advice that should be given towards an internship, since it is likely that there were little to none produced of any significance. I usually laugh when someone tries to aggrandize their impact as an intern, though I've had at least one intern that contributed significantly.

Try to think about what you may have done that applies to the job you are interviewing for. It doesn't have to be exciting, but it has to be relevant to the hiring manager if you want to get any credit from it. You may want to talk about reconciling data or building spreadsheets, or maybe some of the interesting things you saw on the periphery but were not necessarily a major part of.

I've usually had pretty low expectations when interviewing entry-level folk. My best advice would be to show that you are well prepared and try to connect with the interviewer - if you are a fit, the rest will flow naturally from there. Remember that you shouldn't be trying to force the outcome of getting the offer.

FormLetter
10-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Tell me:
-what you did
-what you learned in terms of industry knowledge
-what you learned in terms of technical skills (software, programming, etc)
-what you learned in terms of soft skills

Few internships produce any kind of noteworthy results, and few hiring managers would hold it against you if you couldn't hold up some "I increased revenue by 60%" headline.

rockybalboa
10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks. Very helpful!