PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude testing

campbell
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
This came up in another thread when I said you could test for a certain trouble-shooting frame of mind. I had done aptitude testing at the Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation (http://jocrf.org) two year ago, and I had remembered a related aptitude: inductive reasoning.

It also didn't hurt that I had written an article on it.

So I went back to their Manhattan office today to check out my results again.

[they usually charge $10 for a reprint, but thy gave me it gratis because of the article I wrote]

So here's the list of tested items, by category and subitem:

Visual Perception:
Graphoria (clerical speed)

Divergent Thinking:
Ideaphoria (flow of ideas)
Foresight

Convergent Thinking:
Inductive Reasoning
Analytical Reasoning

Numerical:
Number Series
Number Facility

Spatial:
Structural Visualization
Wiggly Block
Paper Folding

Auditory:
Tonal Memory
Pitch Discrimination
Rythym Memory

Memory:
Memory for Design
Silograms (word learning)
Number Memory
Observation

Artistic Judgment:
Visual Designs I
Visual Designs II

Color Vision:
Red-Green Vision
Color Discrimination

Motor:
Finger Dexterity
Tweezer Dexterity
Grip, Left
Grip, Right

Personality:
Word Association [subjective or objective]

English Vocabulary

Math Vocabulary

Experimental Test: Writing Speed

The English/Math Vocabulary tests aren't aptitude tests in that you can actually study for those and improv your standing there.

The JOCRF claims for the aptitude tests, your percentile relative to your reference group [age groups] stay pretty constant from age 15 or so and older.

I had a few surprises in my results....well, they weren't too surprising once I thought about it a while. I sucked really bad on tweezer dexterity - 20th percentile [good thing I'm not a surgeon... well, I never would have made it anyway]. Kind of explains why my model cars were a mess and my soldering work was just plain nasty.

The structural visualization tests were interesting - wiggly block is a 3D puzzle [don't worry, it's not that complicated [ranging from 6 to 12 pieces]... but some people do get frustrated with it], and you're just timed to see how long it takes you to put it together. Paper folding is where you're shown diagrams of how a piece of paper is folded and where a hole punch is made, and you've got to determine where the holes are in the unfolded sheet.

I'll pull out a few words they have on structural visualization:

Structural visualization is the aptitude for picturing in your mind's eye the structure of three-dimensional forms.
Structural visualization can also be used in a more theoretical, less tangible way. For example, insurance actuaries, people who use mathematical techniques to determine insurance rates basd on statistical evidence, score high in this aptitude.

Unfortunately, you can't use their testing for hiring stuff, as they won't share the results with outside parties. I suppose you could ask people to do the testing and give you the results, but due to Duke v. Griggs, I doubt you could get away with it.

Still, it can be an interesting experience. I thought some of the tests were fun. The Observation test was kind of funny to me. It involved flipping from page to page, trying to figure out what changed between pages.

Jonas Grumby
03-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm not 100% sure what I should get from this post. Are you saying we can/should sign up for this test?

General Apathy
03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty good at those tests where you look at two pictures of a celebrity in People magazine and find out what is different between the pics

The Drunken Actuary
03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
This came up in another thread when I said you could test for a certain trouble-shooting frame of mind. I had done aptitude testing at the Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation (http://jocrf.org) two year ago, and I had remembered a related aptitude: inductive reasoning.

It also didn't hurt that I had written an article on it.

So I went back to their Manhattan office today to check out my results again.

[they usually charge $10 for a reprint, but thy gave me it gratis because of the article I wrote]

So here's the list of tested items, by category and subitem:

Visual Perception:
Graphoria (clerical speed)

Divergent Thinking:
Ideaphoria (flow of ideas)
Foresight

Convergent Thinking:
Inductive Reasoning
Analytical Reasoning

Numerical:
Number Series
Number Facility

Spatial:
Structural Visualization
Wiggly Block
Paper Folding

Auditory:
Tonal Memory
Pitch Discrimination
Rythym Memory

Memory:
Memory for Design
Silograms (word learning)
Number Memory
Observation

Artistic Judgment:
Visual Designs I
Visual Designs II

Color Vision:
Red-Green Vision
Color Discrimination

Motor:
Finger Dexterity
Tweezer Dexterity
Grip, Left
Grip, Right

Personality:
Word Association [subjective or objective]

English Vocabulary

Math Vocabulary

Experimental Test: Writing Speed

The English/Math Vocabulary tests aren't aptitude tests in that you can actually study for those and improv your standing there.

The JOCRF claims for the aptitude tests, your percentile relative to your reference group [age groups] stay pretty constant from age 15 or so and older.

I had a few surprises in my results....well, they weren't too surprising once I thought about it a while. I sucked really bad on tweezer dexterity - 20th percentile [good thing I'm not a surgeon... well, I never would have made it anyway]. Kind of explains why my model cars were a mess and my soldering work was just plain nasty.

The structural visualization tests were interesting - wiggly block is a 3D puzzle [don't worry, it's not that complicated [ranging from 6 to 12 pieces]... but some people do get frustrated with it], and you're just timed to see how long it takes you to put it together. Paper folding is where you're shown diagrams of how a piece of paper is folded and where a hole punch is made, and you've got to determine where the holes are in the unfolded sheet.

I'll pull out a few words they have on structural visualization:

Unfortunately, you can't use their testing for hiring stuff, as they won't share the results with outside parties. I suppose you could ask people to do the testing and give you the results, but due to Duke v. Griggs, I doubt you could get away with it.

Still, it can be an interesting experience. I thought some of the tests were fun. The Observation test was kind of funny to me. It involved flipping from page to page, trying to figure out what changed between pages.

Thanks for sharing.

campbell
03-23-2010, 05:32 AM
I don't have a point, necessarily.

Just following up from something in another thread, where I said I'd come back and put forward some info. That's all.

Travis
03-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Dang, $600? That seems a bit steep.

Inconceivable
03-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Give me $600 and I'll give you your results without any further testing:

You are a sucker!