PDA

View Full Version : Changing the book editions for FAP

cj
04-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Notice regarding Fundamentals of Actuarial Practice (FAP) book requirements:

Understanding Actuarial Management: the actuarial control cycle (Bellis, C., Shepherd, J., and Lyon, R., 2003) is a required book for the Fundamentals of Actuarial Practice (FAP) course. A new edition of this FAP textbook is scheduled for publication in mid-May 2010. Changes from the first edition to the second edition of the textbook are substantial enough that candidates will be required to use only the second edition beginning January 1, 2011. First editions are currently in limited supply and are no longer being published.

Fundamentals of Private Pensions (McGill, D. M., K. N. Brown, J. J. Haley and S. J. Schieber, Eighth Edition) is a required book for the Fundamentals of Actuarial Practice (FAP) course. A new edition of this FAP textbook is now available. Changes from the eighth edition to the ninth edition of the textbook are substantial enough that candidates will be required to use only the ninth edition beginning January 1, 2011. Candidates will be able to work from either edition until the end of 2010.

Upon publication, the second edition of Understanding Actuarial Management: the actuarial control cycle and the ninth edition of Fundamentals of Private Pensions can be purchased online at The Actuarial Bookstore and ACTEX Publications/Mad River Books.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am working on FAP from 2/22/2010 - 2012. It will probably take me most of that time since I stay home with my kids, work at night and study for this.

So do you think I'm going to have to reread things that I had already read in the old text because I won't be taking the tests until after 1/1/2011?

chopsticks
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
l think you might just be better off working with the new editions. If the changes are "substantial" enough that they are mandating an edition change, it's better to follow suit with what you're reading. Hopefully you won't have to re-read everything you've done already (how far are you?), but maybe order the new ones so you can start with them as soon as possible.

cincinnatikid
04-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Have you already ordered the books in the old editions? If not, you may be able to borrow the old editions of the books from someone (I may even have these two books somewhere) for when you need them in 2010 until the Module content is updated for the 2011 switch.

cj
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks, I did buy one of the two books in the old edition so I will probably suck it up and buy the new edition too. I'm only on module 2 so I haven't gotten very far yet.

Cindy