PDA

View Full Version : Most Likely Multivariate Analysis Question?

cjm18
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
What is the most likely question asked from Werner C10 on Multivariate Analysis.

Looking at the syllabus...I think it will be a computational question and the only computational thing I see is Min Bias procedure.

What do you think?

JBW
05-04-2010, 11:16 PM
My best guess is it won't be computational, more likely something along the lines of "list the five advantages of multivariate techniques for classification ratemaking".

cjm18
05-04-2010, 11:44 PM
I was saying that and then I read the learning objective.

Calculate rating variable differentials for:
Classification
Territory
Deductibles
Increased limits
Range of weight: 8-12 percent

However, the knowledge statement does say -

Fundamentals of univariate and multivariate
relativity analysis

Vorian Atreides
05-05-2010, 01:23 AM
My thoughts are captured in the following post . . .

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showpost.php?p=4223804&postcount=15

Given that the GLM and min bias process is on the (current) Exam 9 syllabus, I doubt that they'll have a computation question on the Exam.

gaddy
05-05-2010, 09:21 AM
My best guess is it won't be computational, more likely something along the lines of "list the five advantages of multivariate techniques for classification ratemaking".

I definitely agree - I pretty much plan on this question. The only other one I can think of is to list (maybe briefly describe) 2 or 3 data mining techniques.

gaddy
05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
My thoughts are captured in the following post . . .

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showpost.php?p=4223804&postcount=15

Given that the GLM and min bias process is on the (current) Exam 9 syllabus, I doubt that they'll have a computation question on the Exam.

I agree with all except #6. Just doesn't seem like something anyone should care that anyone else knows.

Vorian Atreides
05-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Agree that #6 is a low probability question given that this material is on Exam 9 . . . however, it is mentioned pretty clearly in W&M and it is a key concept regarding GLMs (and it's discussed to a greater degree on the Exam 9 reading on GLMs).

gaddy
05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't know my exam names yet - is current exam 9 "advanced ratemaking", soon to become exam 8?

Vorian Atreides
05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
yes

MGN
05-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at anything. The exam 7 thread has a hilarious level of complaining about difficulty and the exam 8 thread, thus far, seems to show a fair number of questions people didn't see coming. I'm gonna especially drill that numerical example in the MV rating chapter because where there's an exhibit showing the method it is distinct fair game for a question on the same stuff.

CAS 6 in the fall had at least two mechanical questions unlike any that had been asked before. One in particular, IIRC, was on a set of material almost completely new to the syllabus. (For CAS 6 vets, I'm thinking of the ULAE and Friedland freq/sev questions, with the latter being the new one.)