PDA

View Full Version : Exam 8V

an2001on
01-25-2002, 02:56 PM
I was close (5.4) but no cigar. (Probably would pass if the exam committee kept 44% passing and would not drop it to 40%, but can do nothing about it.)

Any advice from successful candidates? How did you study, what did you do? I realize that the some reading might change in June but don't want to wait that long. It's the first time I am trying to start really early. I want to do it as efficient as possible. Also, I am not sure if I can keep myself firing at all cylinders for that long. Should I plan little brakes as well? Another thing, I have a family and promised that I will not have a crazy study schedule (meaning they will see me this time). I have complete set of notes as well as "short outline" / memory cards. Should I read the books all over or just if I don't understand my notes?

What would you recommend as a successful strategy? I want to definitely pass it next time even if it means over-studying. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

jedekiah
01-25-2002, 03:07 PM
Well, I only got a 6 so perhaps I'm not the best person to give advice (I feel like I escaped by the skin of my teeth), but I have a few things to say:

I would definitely say start ASAP. The material was reasonably interesting (well, not all of it) but so dense that I found myself losing concentration much earlier than I ever had for any previous exam. So the earlier you start, the more you get to go over everything.

This seemed to be more a memorization test than anything else. There were a few "integrated" problems, which I totally bombed, but I think I passed because I knew the martingale proof down cold and aced the list questions.

I only glossed over the real dense mathematical parts of the syllabus. It didn't matter. I don't think anyone at the SOA understood them either.

jaffar
01-28-2002, 04:07 PM
Hi

I would like to have Fall 2001 study notes of COurse 8V. If any body is interested in selling/ lending the study notes to me, please contact me at my e-mail address given below:

mjaffariqbal@yahoo.com

Thanks

MathMachine
01-29-2002, 02:23 PM
I also got a 5, believe you me it hurts a lot. Here are some details of my investment in 8V:

720 hours of studying
$2,500 for the seminar in Philadelphia
3 weeks of vacation

The breakdown of marks was even more annoying. I got 5 tens, 1 eight, 2 sixes and some change of fives to zeros.

I covered all the syllabus except 5 chapters and there were 4 questions out of those five chapters. Should I call it bad luck or what. There was no question from "Financial Economics" and Datatreya book. The exam was so heavily focused on the study notes.

One piece of advice:
"Do not take the seminar offered by Frank Bensic" It does not add any value. Only 40% who took the seminar passed which is exactly equal to the overall pass ratio. In the seminar they did not provide any help in the understanding of the difficult concepts. They quickly read some lists, I am sure you can do that on your own.

an2001on
03-06-2002, 01:36 PM
Thank you very much, Jedekiah and MathMachine. I really appreciate your help.

Sorry, it took me long to reply - I was too busy with the year-end related work. Now it eased a bit and I am back with more questions.

What practice problems would you recommend? From Hull book, Panjer? (After they asked for the proof I'm not even sure). BTW, I didn't do bad on it, almost passed (but still far from a 10). Anything good from old investment exams that you recommend? (BTW, I don't have anything beyond 1999, where do you obtain those?)

I did not get any zeros or ones, but had a two and a three and a couple of fours (and the tens and eights didnít help me either). I seem to have more difficulty dealing with the case study questions. Obviously, can't quite figure out what they were looking for. Still not sure how to work on the case study other than just read it and know where things are. Also some info is not entirely consistent. Tried to anticipate questions but wasnít successful. Any recommendations?

Unfortunately, there weren't too many of those who passed 8V and nobody but one had spoken. Anybody else could give me advice (whether you passed 8V or not)? Anybody from the exam committee wants to share any studying tips?

Thank you in advance.