PDA

View Full Version : Part 5: Misprint Lament

Avi
12-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed that there are misprints in the Foundations 4ed at inconvenient times? Another one, Finger p316. I don't care how much decimal accuracy you want, 6/60 ≠ .098 It's .1

:soap:

Tex Act
12-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Just wait til you hit the papers. You're going to have to chill out a bit to make it through the upper exams. There isn't as much academia to help proof read, edit, etc as there is on the SOA & joint exams.

Wigmeister General
12-03-2003, 01:48 PM
True, very true.

I recall a paper having numerous tables of values and the author referring to the various tables as part of his analysis. The author concluded that the indicated rate should be, say, $150. After working the numbers from the tables over and over and over again and coming up with an answer of $138, I suddenly realized that the only way he could have derived $150 was to use 2 significant digits at each step! :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

Sotally Tober
12-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Anybody remember trying to get through the tables/exhibits in Ira Robbin's article on the 7 methods to calulate the IRR, on the old Part 6?

Shoot me now!

Astral
12-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Anybody remember trying to get through the tables/exhibits in Ira Robbin's article on the 7 methods to calulate the IRR, on the old Part 6?

Shoot me now!

No, I won't shoot you. No way. You deserve to live, and to be happy.

Plant Food
12-19-2003, 06:33 PM
There isn't as much academia to help proof read, edit, etc as there is on the SOA & joint exams.

People in academia actually care about the quality of their work. The people that write CAS papers are sloppy and careless. Proofreading is part of the writing process, it's not a separate function that can be ignored.