PDA

View Full Version : Exam 5 recommended study materials

Tiffany<3
11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Okay, I finally got all of my prelims and now it's time to face the tougher materials (upper level exams).

From what I've heard, candidates usually run out of time while taking the upper level exams. And, there are also many case studies where we actually have to 'think'. I have less than 6 months of actuarial experience, so I don't think I know the industry well enough to make good judgments on case studies. I really need a good study manual or online seminar to help me with this exam.

So, what would be the best study material to cover the NEW syllabus thoroughly? I know no one has taken the exam under the new syllabus yet. So, in your opinion, what was the best study material for 'old' Exam 5?

Also, is the TIA currently offering online courses based on the new syllabus? I saw them offering both ratemaking and reserving courses (which I assumed follow the new syllabus), but I thought study materials under the new syllabus will not be updated until January. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

SOAPhobic
11-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Okay, I finally got all of my prelims and now it's time to face the tougher materials (upper level exams).

From what I've heard, candidates usually run out of time while taking the upper level exams.

Exam length is grossly overrated. A prepared candidate can skip 15% of the points and still pass easily.

And, there are also many case studies where we actually have to 'think'.

:lol: You are in the wrong forum.

I have less than 6 months of actuarial experience, so I don't think I know the industry well enough to make good judgments on case studies. I really need a good study manual or online seminar to help me with this exam.

If your comprehension skills of the syllabus is any indication, you need more than a study manual to pass this exam.

So, what would be the best study material to cover the NEW syllabus thoroughly? I know no one has taken the exam under the new syllabus yet. So, in your opinion, what was the best study material for 'old' Exam 5?

Also, is the TIA currently offering online courses based on the new syllabus? I saw them offering both ratemaking and reserving courses (which I assumed follow the new syllabus), but I thought study materials under the new syllabus will not be updated until January. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Ever heard of Google?

monkey2003
11-17-2010, 09:38 AM

From what I've heard, candidates usually run out of time while taking the upper level exams. And, there are also many case studies where we actually have to 'think'. I have less than 6 months of actuarial experience, so I don't think I know the industry well enough to make good judgments on case studies. I really need a good study manual or online seminar to help me with this exam.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tiffany,

I am also new to the CAS Exams and looking for a manual to buy. I looked on the Actuarial Bookstore to see what is available for Exam 5. Seems like our only option so far is ALL10, The Infinite Actuary (TIA), and Actex. If you want the study manual itself, you have to either get ALL10 or Actex. You can only get your hands on the TIA study manual if you register for their online seminar or their live seminar in Chicago. I believe the online seminar is for the updated Exam 5. I don't believe the Online seminar is fully completed because of the new changes, but they will update the changes along the way. I hear a lot of people use ALL10 and like it. I haven't heard anything for Actex.

Vorian Atreides
11-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Much of the "new" material won't be available until mid-Dec or January as they make the needed changes with the integration of Ratemaking and Reserving.

The two available texts are very good and should be your starting point . . . especially since they're available right now (download and print). That should be more than enough to get you started until Jan. (If you want "problems" to check your comprehension, just look to recreate the Exhibits "from scratch".)

booger
11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Please refer to the progress thread since the exact same question was asked and many people posted their opinion there.

Vorian Atreides
11-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Please refer to the progress thread since the exact same question was asked and many people posted their opinion there.
But what if you're anti-progress? Why would an anti-progress support go to a "progress" thread?

;-)

booger
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
But what if you're anti-progress? Why would an anti-progress support go to a "progress" thread?
;-)

If that is the case, then why ask about study manuals. Why not just read the required materials?

Staky41
11-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks in advance.

Hey there --

I'm in the same situation. I have found that this forum has lots of people with smart ass responses and less helpful than the prelim forums! haha - It's very frustrating with the new exam structure coming up and never have taken an upper level exam! I've looked through a lot of threads now - seems like all10 and TIA are pretty popular.. I think NEAS is also popular (I believe this is Mahler?) I guess we must assume that each will do well at putting out good materials with the new material. I haven't found much at all about people's opinions on seminars yet.

I would love to hear which manuals and seminars people are going with this sitting. I'm leaning towards all10 at this point... and haven't heard enough about any seminars to go with one yet (and I never used one for the prelims)

Will Durant
11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I think NEAS is also popular
NEAS doesn't teach a CAS5 seminar or publish any CAS5 material. I haven't heard that they are going to start.

Vorian Atreides
11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
NEAS doesn't teach a CAS5 seminar or publish any CAS5 material. I haven't heard that they are going to start.
They did do a ratemaking seminar (but I don't think they did reserving) that was done by Mahler and Feldblum.

I haven't seen anything from their website for the new Exam structure, however.

Anony Moose
11-24-2010, 09:02 AM
They did do a ratemaking seminar (but I don't think they did reserving) that was done by Mahler and Feldblum.

I haven't seen anything from their website for the new Exam structure, however.

NEAS no longer does live seminars for upper-level exams.

cardinal_actuary
11-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Hey there --

I'm in the same situation. I have found that this forum has lots of people with smart ass responses and less helpful than the prelim forums! haha - It's very frustrating with the new exam structure coming up and never have taken an upper level exam! I've looked through a lot of threads now - seems like all10 and TIA are pretty popular.. I think NEAS is also popular (I believe this is Mahler?) I guess we must assume that each will do well at putting out good materials with the new material. I haven't found much at all about people's opinions on seminars yet.

I would love to hear which manuals and seminars people are going with this sitting. I'm leaning towards all10 at this point... and haven't heard enough about any seminars to go with one yet (and I never used one for the prelims)

All of TIA's ratemaking and reserving content is outstanding. I used it for Old CAS 5 and 6. Ken's live seminar really helped me connect the dots and boosted my confidence in solving problems. The videos and study guides should all be complete, they just have to be rearranged given the new format. I have no experience with ALL 10, but I strongly recommend TIA.

skaren9
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
How about ACTEX CAS Exam 5 Study Manual, 2011 Edition by Murdza? Does anybody know this guy?
Thanks!