PDA

View Full Version : Someone took a pic of my license plate - risk?

Gentle Giant
11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
On the way to work today, I was trying to do the alternate-every-other-vehicle thing in a merge situation onto an onramp, and the person behind me decided that I had rudely cut her off. She honked long and loud (ok, no volume control, so technically just long), gave me the finger, then took a photo of my lic. plate w/her digital camera. (Then gave me another finger - OK, the same finger again, but whatever.)

What's the worst thing she can do?

(As worded, the obvious answer is, "take a photo and give the finger while driving behind someone she already believes is a dangerous driver." More precisely, what's the worst thing she can do to me?)

Louis Rich
11-17-2010, 11:31 AM
http://www.license-plate-search.org/

DyalDragon
11-17-2010, 11:32 AM
use your license number to find out where you live, sneak into your house while you sleep and really give you the finger...

The Drunken Actuary
11-17-2010, 11:38 AM
I have to merge onto the highway and criss-cross with people getting off the highway. The line to get off is always backed up but the line to get on (the one I'm in) is clear so once we do the criss-cross is smooth sailing. Well, everyone seems to think you have to do the every other car thing which is stoopid because all that does is slow down the people trying to get on the highway to the point of totally blocking us out. The people getting off the highway aren't going anywhere anyway because that lane is all backed up so why they think they have to rush in and do the every other car thing just so they can sit there and block people from getting on the highway is beyond me.

Anyway, your story reminds me of this because I've infuriated people by pushing my way into the criss cross before some jack-off blocks me in. I get the finger and honks and whatnot. Gee, sorry I delayed you for 2 seconds from sitting there and not moving. Asshats.

the BS method
11-17-2010, 11:42 AM

i don't understand how this stuff works. somehow this third party has access to state (gov't) license plate info and they can sell it?

same thing goes for a credit check. how did these companies get in that position?

IMP
11-17-2010, 11:43 AM
:: You Must Be A Registered Member To Get Unrestricted Access ::

The Drunken Actuary
But to answer your question, worst case scenario is she's a loon and will hold a grudge and track you down and do something bad. Maybe her husband/boyfriend is a cop.

Seems unlikely though.

OTOH, why take the picture if you didn't have some reason for it.

Probably nothing to worry about though. Seriously.

IMP
use your license number to find out where you live, sneak into your house while you sleep and really give you the finger...:lol:

Gentle Giant
11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Blocked from work as "adware".

The Drunken Actuary
11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
i don't understand how this stuff works. somehow this third party has access to state (gov't) license plate info and they can sell it?

same thing goes for a credit check. how did these companies get in that position?

I don't either. My guess is their database isn't anywhere near complete and is based on aggregating various public information sources.

Gentle Giant
11-17-2010, 11:45 AM
My record is clean (AFAIK), so they shouldn't be able to find anything. :shrug:

Louis Rich
11-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Blocked from work as "adware".
It is blocked as "illegal or questionable" for me.

Redhead
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm with TDA. What an asshat.
You're supposed to help others merge in that situation people!
Guess she's one of those asshats who think the rules don't apply to them.
I hate those people.

Hydraskull
11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Just to be safe, you should remove your license plate from your vehicle.

Inconceivable
11-17-2010, 12:11 PM
You should either move or buy a gun. Probably both.

Inconceivable
11-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Or put a sign on your door that says "I don't live here any more". And then when that chick or whoever she hires to whack you shows up they'll go "Oh, I guess he doesn't live here any more." Crisis averted.

Loner
11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
What kills me is the Holland Tunnerl - unless they put up the damn cones, it's chaos, because people don't know how to stay between the white lines and merge properly. ^$#@#%%!

General Apathy
11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
On the way to work today, I was trying to do the alternate-every-other-vehicle thing in a merge situation onto an onramp, and the person behind me decided that I had rudely cut her off. She honked long and loud (ok, no volume control, so technically just long), gave me the finger, then took a photo of my lic. plate w/her digital camera. (Then gave me another finger - OK, the same finger again, but whatever.)

(As worded, the obvious answer is, "take a photo and give the finger while driving behind someone she already believes is a dangerous driver." More precisely, what's the worst thing she can do to me?)

if a person gets that angry about something she will likely be irate about something else pretty soon and forget about you. If she has an anger problem and is manic she will blast on someone else and not be angry anymore.

I would forget about it

Abused Student
11-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I bet she is going to complain to the cops about you. And when they come and question you, inform them that she was in the middle of driving and TOOK A PICTURE. :shake: Even if you were parked. Just dumb.

The Drunken Actuary
11-17-2010, 12:25 PM
I bet she is going to complain to the cops about you. And when they come and question you, inform them that she was in the middle of driving and TOOK A PICTURE. :shake: Even if you were parked. Just dumb.If the cops question him because some random chick says he cut her off then...well I don't know but that'd be nuts.

Quasi
11-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Maybe she just wanted to be able to remember the car that wronged her (in her mind). If she ever sees your car in a parking lot she'll probably key it or let the air out of your tires. Minimal chance she'd get the chance unless she has a way to look you up and damage your car at your home.

General Apathy
11-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Instant Karma will get her

DyalDragon
11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
i was sitting at the front of the line at a red light a couple weeks ago and i got honked at because the light turned green and i didn't immediately step on the gas... just a quick beep to get my attention

however, traffic was backed up in front of me halfway through the intersection so there wasn't anywhere for me to go, so i still didn't move after the honk... which apparently pissed miss soccer mom behind me off because she let loose with several prolonged honks and a finger or two for good measure

when i got a chance i pulled into a turning lane and snapped a pic of her from the side and then got behind her and snapped one of her license plate... had no intentions of actually doing anything with the pics, i just wanted to F with her head a little bit

Abused Student
11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
You should have thrown your car into reverse, back into her, and then claim she rear ended you while taking the picture. That would have REALLY pissed her off.

DyalDragon
11-17-2010, 12:36 PM
You should have thrown your car into reverse, back into her, and then claim she rear ended you while taking the picture. That would have REALLY pissed her off.:iatrr: (rr=road rage)

Redhead
11-17-2010, 12:36 PM
i was sitting at the front of the line at a red light a couple weeks ago and i got honked at because the light turned green and i didn't immediately step on the gas... just a quick beep to get my attention

however, traffic was backed up in front of me halfway through the intersection so there wasn't anywhere for me to go, so i still didn't move after the honk... which apparently pissed miss soccer mom behind me off because she let loose with several prolonged honks and a finger or two for good measure

when i got a chance i pulled into a turning lane and snapped a pic of her from the side and then got behind her and snapped one of her license plate... had no intentions of actually doing anything with the pics, i just wanted to F with her head a little bit

I like it!

Inconceivable
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM

She's probably on pissysoccermomsoutpost.com right now starting this exact thread.

Pseudolus
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Just to be safe, you should remove your license plate from your vehicle.

Or rotate it to display a slightly different number, like Knight Rider.

Gentle Giant
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
My fear was, given the self-confident, you-messed-with-the-wrong-woman looks on her face and professional business outfit, that maybe she knows someone who knows someone or something.

"I am / My husband is / My sibling is the mayor."
"I am / My husband is / My sibling is a cop."
"I / My husband / My sibling work(s) for the FBI."

Next thing I know, I'm in the sexual predator database. :tfh:

dinosaur
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
You should park in your neighbours driveway for the next week just to be safe.

lipman
11-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Sounds to me like GG is coming up with pre-excuses for showing up in the sexual predator database...

Gentle Giant
11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Sounds to me like GG is coming up with pre-excuses for showing up in the sexual predator database...
Dang! You got me figured out. :roll:

JUICE
11-17-2010, 01:42 PM
When you noticed her aiming the camera, you should've slammed your brakes and caused her to rear end you. Then get out of your car with a big smile and ask what she was doing that she wasn't paying close enough attention....

Gentle Giant
11-17-2010, 01:52 PM
When you noticed her aiming the camera, you should've slammed your brakes and caused her to rear end you. Then get out of your car with a big smile and ask what she was doing that she wasn't paying close enough attention....
OK, full disclosure:
My slamming of the brakes after her 20 seconds of honking, failure to let me in and first set of fingers is what prompted the second set of fingers, the photo, and the third set of fingers. No wreck or anything. I made sure to pull ahead a bit before slamming, as I'm only half-stupid.

She then followed me back off the freeway for a bit (I don't stay for long) and gave me a look like she knew where I was going. (Probably just to psych me out.)

Yeah, now that you mention it, I probably should have slammed my brakes while she was reaching for her camera. Probably wouldn't have worked, though. Women are good at multi-tasking, I've discovered.

IMP
11-17-2010, 01:53 PM
your gonna have flaming poo on your doorstep tonight. and your trees are gonna get tp'd. and your car and house will get egged. and your dog will get spray painted pink.

Gentle Giant
11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
your gonna have flaming poo on your doorstep tonight. and your trees are gonna get tp'd. and your car and house will get egged. and your dog will get spray painted pink.
This would be an improvement.

And with the post-placement visit from our adoption social worker tmrw morning, she'll find it amusing.

"Oh, you know I'll have to write something about your having a stalker in the report. Just doing my job. :grin: "

Abused Student
11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
My fear was, given the self-confident, you-messed-with-the-wrong-woman looks on her face and professional business outfit, that maybe she knows someone who knows someone or something.

"I am / My husband is / My sibling is the mayor."
"I am / My husband is / My sibling is a cop."
"I / My husband / My sibling work(s) for the FBI."

Next thing I know, I'm in the sexual predator database. :tfh:

Maybe she has a connection to the Mexican Mob or something. You aren't going jetskiing anytime soon, are you? No trips to the donkey show at Tijijuana?

cohomology
11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
You should have thrown your car into reverse, back into her, and then claim she rear ended you while taking the picture. That would have REALLY pissed her off.

sweetness of revenge, true story, a freind smashed into someone, drove them off the road, touched up some paint
on his car, and got away with it even though they had his plate number.

silverfox
11-17-2010, 02:08 PM
A photo proves nothing. All she can prove is that you were in front of her. Plus cutting someone off isn't any kind of violation unless you cut off a bus or your action was reckless. Risk is she knows a cop and will come key your car at night.

The Drunken Actuary
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
OK, full disclosure:
My slamming of the brakes after her 20 seconds of honking, failure to let me in and first set of fingers is what prompted the second set of fingers, the photo, and the third set of fingers. No wreck or anything. I made sure to pull ahead a bit before slamming, as I'm only half-stupid.

She then followed me back off the freeway for a bit (I don't stay for long) and gave me a look like she knew where I was going. (Probably just to psych me out.)

Yeah, now that you mention it, I probably should have slammed my brakes while she was reaching for her camera. Probably wouldn't have worked, though. Women are good at multi-tasking, I've discovered.

(As worded, the obvious answer is, "take a photo and give the finger while driving behind someone she already believes is a dangerous driver." More precisely, what's the worst thing she can do to me?)OK, I'm confused. Were you just doing the every other car thing and she failed to recognize the pattern thereby wrongly getting pissed at you OR was there more going on?

figure 8
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
I have to merge onto the highway and criss-cross with people getting off the highway. The line to get off is always backed up but the line to get on (the one I'm in) is clear so once we do the criss-cross is smooth sailing. Well, everyone seems to think you have to do the every other car thing which is stoopid because all that does is slow down the people trying to get on the highway to the point of totally blocking us out. The people getting off the highway aren't going anywhere anyway because that lane is all backed up so why they think they have to rush in and do the every other car thing just so they can sit there and block people from getting on the highway is beyond me.

Anyway, your story reminds me of this because I've infuriated people by pushing my way into the criss cross before some jack-off blocks me in. I get the finger and honks and whatnot. Gee, sorry I delayed you for 2 seconds from sitting there and not moving. Asshats.

I don't know... with the every other car thing, at least everyone knows what's going on. There are no surprises unless someone tries to break up the routine.

If the people in line are supposed to leave a hole open, it seems like that could create confusion and more accidents. How big of a hole stays open/when do you move up? Do you still move up if there is a car coming to move through? How close should that car be to determine if you're going to stay or move up? Most people would be able to handle these scenarios fine, but I think you'd probably see more accidents or near accidents overall.

Besides, it's what, an extra few seconds to you? If it's only a few seconds, might as well go along with the easier system.

figure 8
11-17-2010, 02:25 PM
I guess one other thing is that if the long line consistently left a big gap open, you'd probably see more people driving around the line and cutting in front of the gap... which would probably just create a new problem.

The Drunken Actuary
11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't know... with the every other car thing, at least everyone knows what's going on. There are no surprises unless someone tries to break up the routine.

If the people in line are supposed to leave a hole open, it seems like that could create confusion and more accidents. How big of a hole stays open/when do you move up? Do you still move up if there is a car coming to move through? How close should that car be to determine if you're going to stay or move up? Most people would be able to handle these scenarios fine, but I think you'd probably see more accidents or near accidents overall.

Besides, it's what, an extra few seconds to you? If it's only a few seconds, might as well go along with the easier system.Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. Their lane doesn't have anywhere to go so they bring everyone to a standstill.

You are right though, once in a while someone in their lane with a brain does stop and wave people through, realizing that if he move up he has no where to go and will block everyone else, and that does seem to cause confusion from people in my lane who just sit there waiting to be blocked in.

I hate driving.

figure 8
11-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I hate driving.

I was gonna post the same thing.

_BullDog_
11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
My record is clean (AFAIK), so they shouldn't be able to find anything. :shrug:
Not to :tfh: you but your license plate number may be connected to your tax records which are connected to you property records......

Gentle Giant
11-17-2010, 03:29 PM
OK, I'm confused. Were you just doing the every other car thing and she failed to recognize the pattern thereby wrongly getting pissed at you OR was there more going on?
Clarification:
By "failure to let me in" in my second post, I meant "failure to politely let me in", as I obviously made it in front of her. As it turns out, I was queued up to merge in front of the SUV that happened to be in front of HER, but that d-bag sped up to prevent it. So I thought, fine, I'll just get behind him instead (don't know if it was actually a him, but whatever). By the time finger-camera-lady sped up to block access, I was getting rather close to the barrier, so I decided, forget it, I'm taking this spot, rather than risk being stuck at the barrier. She pretty much had no choice but to let me in at that point, assuming she didn't want a wreck.

By the way, the ramp in question is HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Legacy+Dr+%26+U.S.+75+Frontage,+Plano,+Collin,+T exas+75074&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.222969,78.837891&ie=UTF8&oi=georefine&cd=1&geocode=FQ2M-AEdRKI8-g&split=0&hq=&hnear=Legacy+Dr+%26+U.S.+75+Frontage,+Plano,+Colli n,+Texas&ll=33.063574,-96.692165&spn=0,0.009624&z=17&layer=c&cbll=33.062063,-96.69217&panoid=EFYAqv5Mdn5BWo0PwDatDQ&cbp=12,193.43,,0,5.6), courtesy of Google Maps.

ThE aNgRy DrUnK
02-10-2011, 10:26 AM
:bump:

Update?

Gentle Giant
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
As far as I know, nothing happened. :shrug: