PDA

View Full Version : Interview Help (Emergency)

Anonymous
01-31-2002, 12:11 PM
I am an entry-level actuarial job seeker.
I just had an interview 2 days ago, and thought I was done well.
However, when I wake up this morning, I realized that I made some mistakes on explainning a concept.
What should I do?
I'd sent out a thank you letter already.
Should I contact them for this mistake?

ACCtuary
01-31-2002, 12:41 PM
Keep interviewing. Phoning in your mistake will

1. Call attention to it -they may have forgotten.

2. Make you look desperate.

Good manners are probably more important. They get lots of good candidates but are asking themselves, how would I like to work with Mr. A?

If it was a technical interview where getting the right answer was important, also keep in mind that being able to get the right answer under pressure was important.

So suck it up and move on. But don't call.

Anonymous
01-31-2002, 12:53 PM
Thanks AntiEverything!
Your response did help me a lot!!!
Fortunately, I've not do any stupid things yet, and it's not a tech. question (just they want to know what I did in my last job).

Anonymous
01-31-2002, 12:58 PM
If it's a "what did you do in your last job" question, relax!!
I don't think there's any way they can find out that you made a little mistake there.
My understanding is that companies can only verify that you worked there, and when you worked there. I don't think they can really check on the specifics of what you did.

Anonymous
01-31-2002, 01:15 PM
My god!
The question just "what did you do in your last job?"
When I was explaining, they asked me some detail, but I was sort of memory less (cos' it was 2 years ago). Then I made a conceptual mistake...
That company is one of my favorite...

Anonymous
01-31-2002, 01:33 PM
You probably underperformed a bit but *under no circumstances* should you call to clear it up. That will reduce your chances of hire considerably IMHO.

ACCtuary
01-31-2002, 01:34 PM
Speaking of mistakes, I have been asked in my previous jobs about Annual Statement information regarding former employers. Total premium, assets, stuff like that.

I suggest you memorize some of this stuff so you look like you have an interest in financials and also that you have some business interest in your employer and aren't just there to 'staple together' annual reports.

And you thought idiotic memorization was just for exams :smile:

Anonymous
01-31-2002, 01:49 PM
Appreciate! guys!
Seems the only thing I can do now is just wait... to see whether it will harm for my chance or not.

Anonymous
02-04-2002, 05:24 PM
... sad...
What can I say...
I just received a "Thank you letter" from them. A stupid answer can makes you out!
Wish all of you can learn something from this...

ACCtuary
02-04-2002, 05:30 PM
Hope you don't feel we misled you too badly. People hire the wrong people all the time. Maybe they wanted somebody with a little more experience - it's hard to know.

Of course, it's always good to reassess yourself and ask how you could have done better.

Better luck next time. Let us know when you get that great job, OK?

Before an interview, I went and picked up "101 Toughest Interviewing Questions" by Ron Fry. He's annoying at times, but he does steer you clear of many traps. Good for that HR non-actuarial interview you will have.

E. Blackadder
02-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Hey, be glad you got a "thank-you" letter. Those are pretty rare.

Anonymous
02-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Thank you AntiEverything.
You guys didn't misled me.
Just felt disappointed about job hunting.
I am the kind of person with bad EQ... not talktive...
Though, I have 3 exam passed plus some programming skill, but really don't have much confidence that I can land a job.
Whatever, thank you for the book you introduced, I will go to Borders later to get one.
If I can find a job later, I will let you know.
Appreciate!

Crystal Dragon.
02-04-2002, 08:22 PM
"what did you do on your last job?"

"i was a contruction worker."

"very nice. what kind of construction?"

"well, what I meant was that I taught piano."

"i see... not quite construction, but. so where did you study piano?"

"i, er, i meant that i was a brain surgeon. sorry, my bad."

"will $90K annual salary plus bonus be sufficient?"

AC
02-05-2002, 09:19 AM
Don't worry about not getting this job. Job seeking process works both ways for the employer and the employee. U learn from the mistakes u make and try not to make them again. As for not being talkative, I am the same way, but u sort of learn on the job how to talk to ppl. Good luck to u.