PDA

View Full Version : PD Approval Method and March FAC question

twoleft
12-19-2003, 05:52 PM
I just sent in my PD materials and am curious to know how people get their approval notice. Do they notify you by email or regular mail?

Also, how long (after approval) do you get materials for the FAC? I'm hoping to get in by March, but don't know if I'll have a chance to get everything turned around in time.

In England
12-22-2003, 07:46 AM
You get your approval notice by snail mail and e-mail (but obviously you hear by e-mail first). They automatically register you for the next available FAC at that point.

Just Answer My Questions
01-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Okay - let me get this straight:

once you get turn in your executive plan for PD and receive SOA approval, the SOA will automatically enroll you into the next available FAC?

Also (although I'm sure this has been asked before) how long from submission of the executive plan to get approved?

mayreeh
01-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Ditto what Rainson said: Time to approval depends on number of credits. I needed 50 credits last year and it took a full 4 weeks. In fact, at four weeks they hadn't contacted me. I contacted them and was told that I had been approved. (Got snail mail the next week.)

Axsuetarian
01-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Mayreeh,

Did your plan get reviewed/audited? My understanding is they only randomly review plans for adequacy - I suspect the % of plans they review needing 50 credits is greater than plans needing 5 credits, but 4 weeks seems like a long time if your plan wasn't "lucky" enough to be chosen for a review.

mayreeh
01-20-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't know if it got reviewed or not. They just gave me a thumbs up with no comments. However, I had several folks around the office review it before I sent it (including two people who had been "lucky" enough to have theirs reviewed and sent back for changes). It is possible that I was reviewed and they couldn't find anything to complain about.

Axsuetarian
01-20-2004, 07:38 PM
My specific situation: Already have done the 15 PD allowed prior to passing 1-8, now have 1-8 and want to start doing PD immediately.

Do I need to submit my initial plan (and wait for approval) or just submit it simultaneously with my executed plan when I'm finished? I'm pretty sure I read here on the RF that I could do that, but can't find any supporting documentation on the society pages

Thanks in advance for the help!

plain M&M
01-21-2004, 08:46 AM
My understanding is that the 15 credits are allowed prior to the date the initial plan is filed. So you would need to send in the initial plan and receive a confirmation that it has been received before continuing with PD.

I think the cases where the initial plan and executed plan can be sent it simultaneously are when 15 or less PD credits are needed.

Axsuetarian
01-21-2004, 09:36 AM
How much detail is required in the initial plan? Do I need to simply state how I am earning the 50 credits, topic of my project, etc?

Is there anyone out there who has done this and could help me out (it just seems so vague as to what is required). There is a 12 PD session at the beginning of February that I would like to attend so I probably need to move fast with getting my initial plan approved.

plain M&M
01-21-2004, 11:20 AM
The initial plan is short (a page or two), with general description of the topics to be covered.

They have examples on the SOA website which were helpful to me.

It's just a matter of mail time. Once the SOA office receives the plan, they'll send an e-mail confirmation. They don't review the initial plan.

Hope this helps.

mayreeh
01-21-2004, 12:52 PM
ditto what plain M&M said. Get something filed and don't sweat it too much.

The idea is that the initial plan indicates that you and your advisor have talked roughly about what you need and agreed on a direction.

Unless you need less than 15 credits, you absolutely have to file it.

Axsuetarian
01-21-2004, 02:06 PM
thanks for the help! If you don't mind, stay tuned, I'm sure I'll have more questions

:tup: