PDA

View Full Version : To Those who Passed CAS 5 on their 1st try

ed999
12-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Are there people who started studying AFTER they found about about course 4 results in early January AND passed exam 5 on their first try?

I am finding myself very hard to concentrate with the Holidays and all...

Thanks.

Sotally Tober
12-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Absolutely there are. Especially if you do personal lines pricing. Lots of very familiar concepts on CAS 5. If you work in reserving, large commercial lines or specialty commercial lines pricing, it will take a little longer, but the material is still very reasonable and can be understood relatively easily. That's not to say there isn't a lot of things to understand or that there aren't a few more complicated articles, but overall, you can certainly begin after Jan. 1 and be alright. Be prepared to memorize a LOT of lists.

Sleepy
12-30-2003, 09:37 AM
I hardly ever begin studying before I find out at my previous exam. I just can't seem to be motivated. Course 5 was no different and I was able to pass on the 1st try. I do have some pricing experience but not that much. It all depends on the time and effort you put in (as with any exam) once you do begin. From what I remember, about half the material is pretty straight forward, memorization type stuff. And the other half takes some time to grasp and then a light goes off and you just "get it".

bertuary
12-30-2003, 10:56 AM
I don't think I've ever put in more than 10 hours before I found out exam results and I've passed several exams on the first try. It can definitely be done, but you have to really kick it in gear and stick to it with very few breaks for the full 4 months left.

Tex Act
12-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Actually, it could be worse.

Last sitting I got results for 4 sometime in July if I remember right. So, I bascially had 3.5 months to study for exam 6 and got it on the first try.

At least you'll have 4.5 months after exam 4 results come out.