PDA

View Full Version : Studying Style

sumeet_nanar
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi,

I have passed C4 yesterday :party: and preparing for Exam 5 :swear:for May.I have All 10 and the books from CAS website.

It has been really confusing studying from either of them.I started with rate making and could not really understand the trending of premium and LAE using either of those.

Is there any other material i should refer to or change the way of studying?

Please Help.

Regards,
:judge:

Vorian Atreides
02-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Have you tried reading the source material?

I honestly think that both Werner & Modlin and Friedland are pretty well written for the student in mind.

Most study manuals are going to just present the "end-result" of these texts since that it is the important thing to get mastery over for the Exam. (Along with additional practice problems.)

sumeet_nanar
02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
I am reading them as well but having real hard time understanding,what is important and what to memorize.Looking at practice questions makes me feel as if i have to commit every single word to memory.Am i right?

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated!!:tup:

Gyudon
03-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Looking at practice questions makes me feel as if i have to commit every single word to memory.

Actuaries probably have better memories than average but I really don't think you need a photographic memory to pass these exams. For the essay questions, perhaps focus on understanding the concepts tested by the questions rather than the exact wording of the answers.