PDA

View Full Version : Why do guys fall in love with upper body work...

yoyo
03-16-2011, 08:06 AM
and neglect legs?

Everybody's seen it and maybe you're one of them. Guys who spend a full hour doing nothing but bench and arm specific work and never/seldom do leg work. And of the upper body work they're doing, they do way less back work than they should for balance and shoulder health.

Even though they wear long shorts, you can still see that their legs are severly lacking.

So what is it? Vanity? Herd mentality? Dislike of hard work?

Help me understand the psychology.

Nee-2-No-Bases
03-16-2011, 08:25 AM
and neglect legs?

Everybody's seen it and maybe you're one of them. Guys who spend a full hour doing nothing but bench and arm specific work and never/seldom do leg work. And of the upper body work they're doing, they do way less back work than they should for balance and shoulder health.

Even though they wear long shorts, you can still see that their legs are severly lacking.

So what is it? Vanity? Herd mentality? Dislike of hard work?

Help me understand the psychology.

Well, for me, its a combination of two things:

1.) Legs are the 2nd least fun thing to exercise, next to abs. Except for running, and activities involving running.

2.) Chicks dig upper bodies. A built upper body with skinny legs is way better than the opposite, as far a physical appeal goes.

Having said that, while I may neglect my legs from time to time, I don't have skinny legs. So I generally still look balanced, mostly.

Inconceivable
03-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Well I don't have a big upper body so I'm still balanced but I didn't do legs almost at all when I was lifting more. At that time I was running, playing basketball, golf, indoor soccer and other random activities. Lifting with legs would have been overdoing it and led to injury.

BG5150
03-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Many guys neglect legs because the lifts are hard.

Curls and flyes are the path of least resistance for most.

panther
03-16-2011, 08:43 AM
It's all about the opposite sex.

T-roy
03-16-2011, 09:15 AM
I am afraid to ask em. Their upper body strength can knock my ass down, then their momentum will topple them over on top of me.

td25er
03-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Most people are lazy f**s who can bench more than they can squat. Heck, most can't even perform a proper squat with ANY weight. I'm not talking about half squats where you load 365 lbs and "squat" 4 inches.

What's hilarious for the chest and biceps fools is that doing heavy squats will raise testosterone more than the mirror exercies and indirectly help your upper body grow.

I was always a legpress/extension/curl kind of leg lifter until my late 20's because I was afraid of the "squats will kill your knees and back". I was one of the yahoos that benched a lot more than I could squat, but that's because I didn't squat. However, I've ALWAYS lifted legs.

I squat 3 times a week now and LOVE it. Legs are my number one priority. I look forward to them.

ReserveRage
03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I figure my legs get enough of a workout through running, walking, stair/hill climbing.

ditkaworshipper
03-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Well I don't have a big upper body so I'm still balanced but I didn't do legs almost at all when I was lifting more. At that time I was running, playing basketball, golf, indoor soccer and other random activities. Lifting with legs would have been overdoing it and led to injury.
Completely different than what he's talking about. This is why I rarely lift legs actually. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm overworking my calves during the winter. Field/sand sports give you much better balance on the legs imo (not to mention they're more fun and easier on the joints).
And here's your answer. Most guys don't wear loose pants and a fitted shirt, showing off the arms and chest while hiding their toothpick legs. IIRC, women notice abs, chest and arms first, legs last. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

BG5150
03-16-2011, 10:01 AM
I figure my legs get enough of a workout through running, walking, stair/hill climbing.

You won't build any lean muscle mass that way--there's no progressive resistance. Unless you are heavier each time you work out.

panther
03-16-2011, 10:06 AM
There are also guys who spend way too much time working their calves and not much else, just because it looks "good." If you want to run fast and be athletic, calf muscles are the least of your worries.

ReserveRage
03-16-2011, 10:07 AM
You won't build any lean muscle mass that way--there's no progressive resistance. Unless you are heavier each time you work out.

How exactly is building lean muscle mass defined? Getting bigger, ie. thicker circumference in the thighs/calves?

erosewater
03-16-2011, 10:11 AM
I've always had a love/hate relationship with squats. Love doing them and love how effective they are, but hate the paralysis the day (or 3) after if you haven't been doing them enough. Can turn into a vicious cycle.

JUICE
03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Order of difficulty in training muscle groups (in terms of perceived exertion, most to least):

- Thighs / hips / glutes
- Back (erectors, rhomboids, traps)
- Back (lats, rear delts)
- Chest
- Shoulders
- Abs
- Biceps / triceps
- Calves

That should answer the question...

matamagato
03-16-2011, 10:16 AM
squats have a DOMS that can last for days if you do heavy weight. it hurts to going up stairs

panther
03-16-2011, 10:19 AM
This can also be said for exercising the calves a lot without any proper build-up or training. It will hurt to walk and the pain will last several days. Not pleasant at all.

Nee-2-No-Bases
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
And here's your answer. Most guys don't wear loose pants and a fitted shirt, showing off the arms and chest while hiding their toothpick legs. IIRC, women notice abs, chest and arms first, legs last. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Exactly, all you guys talking about people being lazy etc etc, are missing the point.

If people were that lazy, they wouldn't work out. And if chicks dug muscular legs more than anything, gyms would need nothing but squat racks, cause that's all that guys would use.

Effort being a deterrent to working legs is a distant second to sex appeal being a motivator to work upper body.

win diesel
03-16-2011, 10:32 AM
You guys who load up the chalk and get really deep with the squat are the bestest..got it

Can we move on now?

Rickyfire
03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Muscular hypertrophy is a scientific term for the growth and increase of the size of muscle cells. So therefore, in order to get bigger and stronger, you MUST trigger muscular hypertrophy. How is this done? With simple weight training, which is why body builders are so built and people who sit around all day are not. But not all forms of muscular hypertrophy are created equal. There are, in fact, two different kinds of muscle growth: sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and myofibrillar hypertrophy.

1. Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy: an increase in the volume of the non-contractile muscle cell fluid, sarcoplasm. This type of hypertrophy greatly increases the volume of muscles, but since sarcoplasm cannot contract, it leads to little actual strength gains. Performing high repetitions with fairly low weight causes this type of hypertrophy, which is why professional bodybuilders workout with high reps (10-15). The science behind sarcoplasmic hypertrophy also explains why bodybuilders are not the best athletes or the strongest people.

2. Myofibrillar Hypertrophy: an enlargement of the muscle fiber as it gains more myofibrils, which contract and generate tension in the muscle. In sharp contrast to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, this type of muscle growth leads to great increases in strength and moderate gains in size. To cause this type of hypertrophy, one must lift heavy weights with limited reps. This type of hypertrophy greatly benefits athletes and powerlifters, as it actually increases strength and performance.

Nee-2-No-Bases
03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
You guys who load up the chalk and get really deep with the squat are the bestest..got it

Can we move on now?

If your a$$ doesn't touch the ground on each squat, your wasting your time imo

When I squat, my a$$ is filthy and bruised aftewards. That's how I know I did 'em right.

Nee-2-No-Bases
03-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Muscular hypertrophy is a scientific term for the growth and increase of the size of muscle cells. So therefore, in order to get bigger and stronger, you MUST trigger muscular hypertrophy. How is this done? With simple weight training, which is why body builders are so built and people who sit around all day are not. But not all forms of muscular hypertrophy are created equal. There are, in fact, two different kinds of muscle growth: sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and myofibrillar hypertrophy.

1. Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy: an increase in the volume of the non-contractile muscle cell fluid, sarcoplasm. This type of hypertrophy greatly increases the volume of muscles, but since sarcoplasm cannot contract, it leads to little actual strength gains. Performing high repetitions with fairly low weight causes this type of hypertrophy, which is why professional bodybuilders workout with high reps (10-15). The science behind sarcoplasmic hypertrophy also explains why bodybuilders are not the best athletes or the strongest people.

2. Myofibrillar Hypertrophy: an enlargement of the muscle fiber as it gains more myofibrils, which contract and generate tension in the muscle. In sharp contrast to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, this type of muscle growth leads to great increases in strength and moderate gains in size. To cause this type of hypertrophy, one must lift heavy weights with limited reps. This type of hypertrophy greatly benefits athletes and powerlifters, as it actually increases strength and performance.

As with most goals in my life, I shoot for the average. A little from column A, and a little from column B.

I am going to insert some anacdotal (sp?) elaboration on what you have said, however.

Undoubtedly, the strongest have ever been, pound for pound, was when I was doing a great deal of conditioning work training for a sport. That kind of conditioning is, by definition, high rep/low resistance work.

I still worked out moderately with free weights, but less than I generally do now.

I put on exactly zero weight (although my body fat fell significantly), but enormous amounts of strength.

This is counter to what you have said.

It seems to me that a combination of both, or weights plus serious conditioning work, regardless of what kind of hypertrophy you call it, can result in significant gains in strength.

win diesel
03-16-2011, 10:41 AM
If your a$$ doesn't touch the ground on each squat, your wasting your time imo

When I squat, my a$$ is filthy and bruised aftewards. That's how I know I did 'em right.

that's right..take it deep flithy thing

Stanley Milgram
03-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm glad you asked yoyo and the answers are interesting because they confirmed what I always thought.

But I think you guys have it wrong. Yes muscular chests look good, but they look ridiculous when paired with skinny legs. I'm a leg girl. Even though I'm into girls, I'll stare at a good pair of legs on a guy, but laugh at the guy who looks top heavy.

Rickyfire
03-16-2011, 10:44 AM
If our goal was for you to admire our physiques, then yes we have it wrong...

JUICE
03-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Can we move on now?

Yes. You can't fit into your skinny jeans if you squat, we get it.

yoyo
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm glad you asked yoyo and the answers are interesting because they confirmed what I always thought.

But I think you guys have it wrong. Yes muscular chests look good, but they look ridiculous when paired with skinny legs. I'm a leg girl. Even though I'm into girls, I'll stare at a good pair of legs on a guy, but laugh at the guy who looks top heavy.Most of the answers here are in line with what I was thinking.

win diesel
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes. You can't fit into your skinny jeans if you squat, we get it.

lol they aren't that skinny

They used to call me Sequoia

yoyo
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
If our goal was for you to admire our physiques, then yes we have it wrong...

Yes. You can't fit into your skinny jeans if you squat, we get it.:ctm:

Nee-2-No-Bases
03-16-2011, 10:50 AM

But I think you guys have it wrong. Yes muscular chests look good, but they look ridiculous when paired with skinny legs. I'm a leg girl. Even though I'm into girls, I'll stare at a good pair of legs on a guy, but laugh at the guy who looks top heavy.

Here is the part you are missing.

Skinny legs can be easily hidden, and a muscular upper body easily displayed.

The girl won't know how skinny your legs are until your pants are off. At that point, you have already taken her king and won the match. Whether or not she finds skinny legs attractive is moot.

Nee-2-No-Bases
03-16-2011, 10:51 AM
lol they aren't that skinny

They used to call me Sequoia

Are you part native american or something?

Nee-2-No-Bases
03-16-2011, 10:53 AM

The girl won't know how skinny your legs are until your pants are off. At that point, you have already taken her king and won the match. Whether or not she finds skinny legs attractive is moot.

To add:

What gives you a better chance of getting laid,

skinny jeans with a hoody with something legs, or loose jeans with a tight shirt with a jacked upper body.

win diesel
03-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Are you part native american or something?

lol nah..my legs just got big doing walking lunges with the chicks in the aerobics room

Rickyfire
03-16-2011, 10:54 AM
He is part Tree

Abstract Actuary
03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
My problem is I carry all my extra fat in my upper body. My legs are cut (not skinny) but my upper body carries some extra flab. I also have a 30" vertical and am among the quickest and fastest I play sports with. So essentially, I don't need any help with my legs.

Then there is the impact on my other workouts. I play football, basketball, ride my bike to work, etc. If I do squats, then the soreness afterwards impacts when I can do my other workouts. I actually like the sore feeling, so it isn't an aversion to that. But it makes playing basketball very difficult, whereas a sore chest isn't that big of a deal.

So the end result is that I do squats about half as often as I do upper body.

Keep It Real, Yo
03-16-2011, 11:05 AM

:iatp:

td25er
03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm chuckling reading about people who think chicks don't care about legs.

DudeMan
03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
i lift my legs less often than upper body for 2 reasons: (a) legs get some workout from walking/biking/jogging/sports; and (b) they take longer to recover when i do lift with them. upper body parts can recover in like 2 days whereas a good squat workout takes more like 5 days to recover from.

ditkaworshipper
03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Order of difficulty in training muscle groups (in terms of perceived exertion, most to least):

- Thighs / hips / glutes
- Back (erectors, rhomboids, traps)
- Back (lats, rear delts)
- Chest
- Shoulders
- Abs
- Biceps / triceps
- Calves

That should answer the question...
To nitpick, are we talking for functional strength or appearance? Ab workouts and plyos for calves are pretty aerobically brutal since you have to do so many for any effect. Of course, I might be an anomoly since my past sports focused more on those muscle groups.
Undoubtedly, the strongest have ever been, pound for pound, was when I was doing a great deal of conditioning work training for a sport. That kind of conditioning is, by definition, high rep/low resistance work.

I still worked out moderately with free weights, but less than I generally do now.

I put on exactly zero weight (although my body fat fell significantly), but enormous amounts of strength.

This is counter to what you have said.

It seems to me that a combination of both, or weights plus serious conditioning work, regardless of what kind of hypertrophy you call it, can result in significant gains in strength.
If you're playing a sport, you generally don't get enough rest to actually build muscle. Also, if you're doing a lot of sprints, that's high intensity low rep pretty much.

ditkaworshipper
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM

I have always had pretty good legs, but I have done much better with the opposite sex since I've gotten arms. Maybe I got more balanced, but my upper body seems to be getting the attention. We need some people attracted to men to comment.

However, I agree there is nothing better than a nice pair of legs on a lady.

JUICE
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
To nitpick, are we talking for functional strength or appearance? Ab workouts and plyos for calves are pretty aerobically brutal since you have to do so many for any effect. Of course, I might be an anomoly since my past sports focused more on those muscle groups.

Nitpicking! :redcard:

All things being equal.

Do a set of squats, 20 reps to failure.
Then a set of weighted situps, 20 reps to failure.
Tell me, which was worse?

FormLetter
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Which is it? 20 reps? Or failure?

win diesel
03-16-2011, 11:36 AM

FormLetter
03-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Doing anything to true failure is agonizing in my opinion. Especially when you really draw it out on the last negative/descent. That last pullup might only raise your body 70%, but then you hang and hang and hang until gravity wins.

td25er
03-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Doing anything to true failure is agonizing in my opinion. Especially when you really draw it out on the last negative/descent. That last pullup might only raise your body 70%, but then you hang and hang and hang until gravity wins.

When I max out on pushups I can rest for 2 minutes and do it again. Then do it again. And again. Same with pullups.

I'm almost in tears thinking about squatting 20+ reps to failure.

Stanley Milgram
03-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Is it really gratifying to know that you've deflated the girl when you get her in the bedroom. She might go along for the ride but may be thinking, "what a dweeb!"

I have always had pretty good legs, but I have done much better with the opposite sex since I've gotten arms. Maybe I got more balanced, but my upper body seems to be getting the attention. We need some people attracted to men to comment.

However, I agree there is nothing better than a nice pair of legs on a lady.A lot of straight women I know aren't into the bulkhead.

Yes, good legs on women are nice too! :-)

yoyo
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty sure most of the guys in my gym who never/seldom work legs think that their legs look okay, probably because they walk a lot or play a team sport.

Anitha Desai
03-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I've said this before. I'll say it again.
:love: Fit guys in bike shorts :love:
I do like guys who have some definition in the upper body, and it is hard to notice how good most men's lower bodies are in regular clothes. But definition <> big muscles. I like the lean look.

ShebaPoe
03-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Bike shorts is a near flawless indicator of homo...among guys. Here is a conversation I heard among two guys in bike shorts before my cell phone rang and I ran them over with my car.

Hi Frank. Nice shorts. Thanks Raymond. Would you like a blowjob? Sure I would. Then, just bones and bike parts under a Range Rover. I sped off, took the car to one of those car wash things you do yourself and hosed it off.

Guys focus mainly on upper body because they don't know what they're doing. The typical gym donkey looks like shit and it doesn't matter what exercises they do...the girls they get are troglodytes.

JUICE
03-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Both ;)

I hear squats help reading comprehension too.

panther
03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Too funny, yet true. All of it. That had me cracking up at my desk. Thanks Sheba.

ditkaworshipper
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM

All things being equal.

Do a set of squats, 20 reps to failure.
Then a set of weighted situps, 20 reps to failure.
Tell me, which was worse?
I'm guessing you mean failure at 20 reps. Not really a fair comparison actually since squats are a full body exercise, not just legs, while situps only really work the upper abs. Plank to failure would be a better gauge, and I'd say that squats barely win there. Ab work is pretty brutal if you are doing it right.

I'm pretty sure most of the guys in my gym who never/seldom work legs think that their legs look okay, probably because they walk a lot or play a team sport.
I know, complete poosies imo.

yoyo
03-16-2011, 12:14 PM
for those of you who do mostly upper work, what percentage would you estimate is back specific and do you use free wts or cables?

Stanley Milgram
03-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Bike shorts is a near flawless indicator of homo...among guys. Here is a conversation I heard among two guys in bike shorts before my cell phone rang and I ran them over with my car.

Hi Frank. Nice shorts. Thanks Raymond. Would you like a blowjob? Sure I would. Then, just bones and bike parts under a Range Rover. I sped off, took the car to one of those car wash things you do yourself and hosed it off.

Guys focus mainly on upper body because they don't know what they're doing. The typical gym donkey looks like shit and it doesn't matter what exercises they do...the girls they get are troglodytes.

I'm almost speechless.

Anyway you're so wrong about bike shorts. Greg LeMond. Lance Armstrong. Miguel Indurain. Great legs!

ditkaworshipper
03-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Is it really gratifying to know that you've deflated the girl when you get her in the bedroom. She might go along for the ride but may be thinking, "what a dweeb!"
Very true. The equivalent is the woman who dresses to cover up her flaws. I'm not a fan of that.
:tup: I knew we can agree on some things!

:rofl: I don't even know where to start on this...

ShebaPoe
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm almost speechless.

Anyway you're so wrong about bike shorts. Greg LeMond. Lance Armstrong. Miguel Indurain. Great legs!

Right, pick three world class athletes, like that's representative of anything. It's like pointing out that sprints are good for dropping weight by saying "you don't see a lot of fat on Usain Bolt, do you?"

More typical is the guy with the bike shorts and the visible gut because he just had to get the bike shirt too, because the sales guy at the bike store threw in the shirt for for 20% off...and a blowjob.

Biking. It's how you get away from your wife to see your boyfriend.

JUICE
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm guessing you mean failure at 20 reps. Not really a fair comparison actually since squats are a full body exercise, not just legs, while situps only really work the upper abs. Plank to failure would be a better gauge, and I'd say that squats barely win there. Ab work is pretty brutal if you are doing it right.

Exactly. As you narrow the focus onto small muscle groups the exercises get easier! Other things being equal, the more muscle groups involved in a lift, the more you can lift, the more taxation on the CNS, and the "harder" the lift will feel, per lift. :duh:

This is why not only do you see mirror lifters not doing legs, but you'll frequently see them discard compound lifts in favor of "targeting" exercises like skull crushers and chest flys. Of course, they'll tell you they're just trying to "target" these areas. What they really mean is that they've fallen in love with "targeting" because it's easier.

Interesting Post
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Right, pick three world class athletes, like that's representative of anything. It's like pointing out that sprints are good for dropping weight by saying "you don't see a lot of fat on Usain Bolt, do you?"

More typical is the guy with the bike shorts and the visible gut because he just had to get the bike shirt too, because the sales guy at the bike store threw in the shirt for for 20% off...and a blowjob.

Gay people wouldn't be caught dead in bike shorts.

Nee-2-No-Bases
03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm chuckling reading about people who think chicks don't care about legs.

Well, given that I have banged a lot of hot chicks, I am chuckling reading your post.

i lift my legs less often than upper body for 2 reasons: (a) legs get some workout from walking/biking/jogging/sports; and (b) they take longer to recover when i do lift with them. upper body parts can recover in like 2 days whereas a good squat workout takes more like 5 days to recover from.

I agree with all of this too.

A lot of straight women I know aren't into the bulkhead.

In my experience, there is something girls care about more, when my pants come off.

To date, no one has been disappointed.

the size of my legs isn't part of the conversation, nor does the word "dweeb."

"Hilarious" "Inadequate" perhaps.

bloodninja
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM

This elicited actual laughter. :lol:

win diesel
03-16-2011, 01:20 PM
This elicited actual laughter. :lol:

lol yeah, classic imo

td25er
03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
I think it just comes down to one point. Working out legs is f'ing hard work.

Some people are tough and do legs. Others aren't and work out the mirror muscles. Some half-@ss their legs with machines. Some lucky people have good genetics and have nice-looking legs w/o working them out, or only doing cardio.

win diesel
03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I used to do walking lunges with 110 dumbbells in each hand..probably not smart and pulled a stomach muscle really bad one day

Now I stick to around 70 pounds or so tops..but I walk back and forth across the room

Anitha Desai
03-16-2011, 01:51 PM
:yikes: Walking lunges are hard enough with my own body weight. Lunges and squats, inlcluding plie (sp?) squats never fail to make me sore the enxt day.
I don't really care if the guys who look good in bike shorts are gay or not. It's not like I'm going to eff them. I'm just gonna watch 'em adn enjoy. :shrug:

ShebaPoe
03-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Well, you've got the right idea Anitha, because no matter how hot you are, they're not going to eff you either. What would they do with a woman when Raymond and Bruce are just a few miles away?

Anitha Desai
03-16-2011, 03:19 PM
:lol:

Egghead
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM

We need to market this as a bumper sticker.

yoyo
03-16-2011, 03:52 PM
We need to market this as a bumper sticker.yes, it's quotable.

i hope guerilla poster stops by and sees this

win diesel
03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
yes, it's quotable.

i hope guerilla poster stops by and sees this

I'll add it to my footer

I'll take it down if he takes a quote from me down

ditkaworshipper
03-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Some half-@ss their legs with machines. Some lucky people have good genetics and have nice-looking legs w/o working them out, or only doing cardio.
According to your definition, I have sick nasty genetics. I might, but I think playing sports shocks your muscles in so many ways that just don't get replicated in the weight room.
Well, you've got the right idea Anitha, because no matter how hot you are, they're not going to eff you either. What would they do with a woman when Raymond and Bruce are just a few miles away?
Shop and gossip?

td25er
03-16-2011, 05:08 PM
According to your definition, I have sick nasty genetics. I might, but I think playing sports shocks your muscles in so many ways that just don't get replicated in the weight room

I usually BS a lot. I also say things facetiously. :tup:

Playing certain sports definitely will help out with legs. I'm ridiculously jealous of leg development on soccer players.

I still remember this cross country kid in high school who had like 18" calves. This kid was probably 6'3", 140lbs. You could literally see his heart beat through his chest. Arms were probably 11". Looked like a freak.

ditkaworshipper
03-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I figured you are just a jackass like everyone else in this subforum...part of why I love it so much. I play a pretty ridiculous collection of sports, so I've had to develop each of straight line speed, cutting ability, and endurance to their fullest at some point or another. I really use the gym to balance myself out, which means yoga and upper body weights nowadays. It's great because you gym rats dread leg day while I look forward to it.