PDA

View Full Version : 26 days to go...

DrActuary
04-07-2011, 03:25 AM
Less than a month to the exam and having failed "N" number of times, what should be the last few weeks of prep to keep my brain sharp and fully functioning.

Any tips to master the formula/methods and remember what I had studied for the past 4 months into this exam
Not yet nervous. Just finished TIA notes for Friedland

Still remaining for the First pass
TIA notes for all the ASPs/principles (not sure how important are these!)
W&M: Appendices need to be looked into

Study Strategy for the next two weeks
start with TIA old quizzes (assuming Ken did not change much from old quizzes)
Practice exams 2008 to 2010 (Old Exam 5 & 6)

Any advice appreciated! In case I fail again, I am not sure if I am really worth to still be in this career.

JasonScandopolous
04-07-2011, 08:49 AM
if you're going to lose your career by failing (self-imposed or otherwise), then study as if this were the case. hundreds of thousands of salary dollars, at present value, are probably at stake... do you really need to watch TV or do anything before the exam that is more valuable than that? If you're going to the bathroom, going to your car, whatever, think about a concept and make sure you understand it enough to quickly explain it to yourself (e.g. do I really remember how to trend earned premium from 1.5 years of 6-month policies in a quick and efficient manner? ). if you fail to quickly or confidently know it, go study that until you do. do this for every such thing you can think of, as you think of them. doing practice problems will reveal such topics, or, will reveal propensities for careless errors that you can specifically watch out for on the exam.

Vorian Atreides
04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
#1. Asset Share Pricing is asked on just about every Exam. They're easy points (more or less) if you understand the algorithm of the pricing.

#2. As for the W&M Appendices, if you understand the formulas from the text, the appendices reinforce them. In a few instances, the appendices show a different situation than what's in the text. However, I believe that in the latter case, the text preceding the exhibits in each appendix points that out.

skaren9
04-07-2011, 04:28 PM
#1. Asset Share Pricing is asked on just about every Exam. They're easy points (more or less) if you understand the algorithm of the pricing.

#2. As for the W&M Appendices, if you understand the formulas from the text, the appendices reinforce them. In a few instances, the appendices show a different situation than what's in the text. However, I believe that in the latter case, the text preceding the exhibits in each appendix points that out.

"Asset Share Pricing"? Which L.O. is that?

booyah81
04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
"Asset Share Pricing"? Which L.O. is that?

how about the entire feldblum paper? :hsmack:

skaren9
04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
how about the entire feldblum paper? :hsmack:

Thanks! Sorry for the dump question. Totally forgot about Feldblum ... I was trying to look for it in Werner.

Klaymen
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Let me attempt to paraphrase Feldblum's words of wisdom from a seminar.

Study hard, even if you don't like it. Nothing is worse than taking it again.