PDA

View Full Version : Exam Attack Strategy

nonactuarialactuary
04-29-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm taking 5B only. Looking at the recent past exam problems, I'd almost guarantee one "mega-problem" worth at least 6 points on exam 5A, and one mega problem on exam 5B. I'm also expecting at least two 4-5 point questions on each exam 5A and 5B too. I'm slower than the average candidate, and time has been an issue for me in every actuarial exam I've ever sat for. If I have to think about a question, it usually screws me up time-wise, so these questions are particularly intimidating with the small amount of time we're given.

In the old system, I passed 2010 exam 5 while completely ignoring the mega question, but failed 2010 exam 6 while doing the mega questions (and answering them correctly). My gut feeling is to do them, but my results suggest otherwise.

How do you guys plan on attacking these mega-problems? Do them first? Do them last? Half-ass answer initially to get some credit then return to them at the end?

FCAZ
04-29-2011, 06:24 PM
IMO, don't worry about large vs small point questions. In your 15 minute reading period, look at the # of points on the entire exam and divide by the # of hours given for the exam. At the start of the exam, you then know how many points per hour you need to get through. You then focus on 1 hr at a time and don't get too distracted by large vs small point problems.

Just my strategy and it worked pretty well.

kyleucf
04-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Im planning on hitting the mega rate indication question first. Then FS#3, Case O/S and BerqSher. Then finish Reserves. Then Ratemaking. Then go Drinking.