PDA

View Full Version : Maine

Possum 2
02-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Does anyone have any input concerning Maine (good or bad companies to work for, weather, etc)?

Maine-iac
02-05-2002, 02:47 PM
You rang?

There is work in Maine, though not a lot by New England standards. Most is in Southern Maine, in the Portland area. The regulators are in central Maine (Augusta) and there is not much north of there, one small P&C company way up north.

Unum Provident has actuaries in Portland. It was a great place to work as UNUM. As UNUM Provident, I don't have direct experience, but I get the general impression that it's not as good as it was, primarily due to headquarters now being in Chatanooga.

Anthem BCBS has actuaries in Portland, and would like to have more. Was a great place to work, went downhill, is improving since Anthem took over, but has a long way to crawl back. Again, top management is now offsite.

One Beacon has some actuaries doing P&C in Portland, small staff, but seems happy.

MEMIC does Workers Comp, I don't think they have any actuaries on staff, but I don't know for sure.

Milliman has a health and disability office there. John Hewitt and Associates is small shop nearby, primarily made up of ex-UNUM folks.

In southern ME, where most of the work is, the weather is mild for Maine, but you are subject to occasional wild ocean weather. About 71 inches of snow a year.
If you like coastal areas, it is beautiful.
Lots of outdoor activities year round, decent cultural activities and nightlife for the size of the city, excellent dining, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Boston if you want a big city fix.

http://205.156.54.206/er/gyx/climo/pwmnormals.html A climate summary link.

COL is high for ME, but low compared to MA. Taxes are generally high in ME.

Russell
07-06-2002, 12:27 AM
Unum Provident has actuaries in Portland. It was a great place to work as UNUM. As UNUM Provident, I don't have direct experience, but I get the general impression that it's not as good as it was, primarily due to headquarters now being in Chatanooga.

Yes, it was great when UNUM was so profitable, even though UNUM used unsustainably aggressive reserving techniques. Moving HQ to Chattanooga definitely threw cold water on the party. The lesson: jump ship before you're found out.

guess who?
05-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Was doing a search on Maine...

Rather than start a new thread, decided to revive this one...

What, exactly, is wrong with the UNUM Provident in Maine...?

I've heard Portland, Maine is really nice... lots of beautiful scenary, ocean air, cozy... It sounds so romantic...