PDA

View Full Version : Unknown deposit

CaffeineAddict
06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
There is a deposit made into my bank account of almost six grand. I did not make this deposit. It was made yesterday and the only description is 'deposit'. Should I notify the bank or wait and see what happens?

FormLetter
06-29-2011, 09:11 PM
WAIT

smekta
06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Provide me with your bank account information and Ill investigate for you.

ADoubleDot
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
close the account. get new phone number. spend money.

tgadd
06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
You have a moral dilemma. You either call the bank to tell them what happens and get it back to whoever did it or you wait. What could possibly happen is it will "bounce" and you'll be charged a fee, so keep track of it.

If you wait, keep your mouth shut. Maybe someone wired money to the wrong account and won't notice it. I wouldn't spend it for 60-90 days.

Mark Cavazos
06-29-2011, 09:53 PM
You should alert the bank - it might be a scam.

If you sign up for automatic deposit, you authorize the depositor to make withdrawals. The idea being that if they overpaid you, they could correct it by withdrawing the overpayment.

Maybe this is their way into your account.

yoyo
06-29-2011, 10:05 PM
notify and get a new account

LifeIsAPoissonProcess
06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Lets ask Mr. Moneybags

http://oi53.tinypic.com/35de3c4.jpg

ElDucky
06-29-2011, 10:49 PM
It's either a scam or error and if an error, will likely be found out. Alert them to the problem. You might get a reward, but mostly you'll be able to avoid fees and work to undo a mess.

The President
06-29-2011, 10:51 PM
^^^photoshop pro

06-29-2011, 10:55 PM
did you get a bonus from work?

FattyMcGee
06-29-2011, 11:02 PM
I have an unknown withdrawal from my account of approximately 6 thousand. PM me your account number so you can wire it back to me. kthxbibi

Travis
06-29-2011, 11:38 PM
There is a deposit made into my bank account of almost six grand. I did not make this deposit. It was made yesterday and the only description is 'deposit'. Should I notify the bank or wait and see what happens?

Notify the bank. What if it's a grandparent of a kid with leukemia wiring money to the parents to pay for treatment? Yes, chances are very slim that it's something like that, but $6,000 shouldn't make that big of a difference in your life to risk it.

CaffeineAddict
06-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Not a bonus. I would find it odd to be a scam since it is such a large amount. I will go to the bank Saturday to report it unless something screwy happens with my account before then. Although it will be because I am concerned about a scam not a cancer patient losing their money.

MountainGirl
06-29-2011, 11:51 PM
You take a penny from the tray. From the crippled children? No, that's the jar, i'm talking about the tray.

regardless, your post makes me sad.

Wigmeister General
06-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Taking money that you know isn't yours is a crime. Given the amount exceeds $100 and is insured by the FDIC, it's a Federal crime.

ADoubleDot
06-30-2011, 01:32 AM
^^^photoshop pro
:lol:

MountainGirl
06-30-2011, 01:33 AM
You're not going to some white collar resort prison... no, no, no! You're going to federal pound you in the ass prison!

RazorGuns
06-30-2011, 03:20 AM
If someone did it wrong, i'm sure they'll notce and the bank will correct it - so DONT spend it.

If they can't contact who deposited it, or gets lost in bureacracy - bank may just pocket the cash. Either way - DON'T spend it without contating a lawyer. What sucks is - even if you didn't deposit it, you could be charged with a CRIME if you go off and spend it. Not worth jail time. Let it sit for a year and see. I'm sure that $6k will magiclaly be off your books trust me.

r

Loner
06-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Somebody at the bank punched in the wrong account number when someone made a deposit. Don't be a dbag. Call the bank and tell them so the person can get their money.

snikelfritz
06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Not a bonus. I would find it odd to be a scam since it is such a large amount. I will go to the bank Saturday to report it unless something screwy happens with my account before then. Although it will be because I am concerned about a scam not a cancer patient losing their money.

Why not just call them on Friday? less time, less effort, these telephones are mighty convenient, I'd recommend investing in one post haste if you don't have one.

You take a penny from the tray. From the crippled children? No, that's the jar, i'm talking about the tray.

regardless, your post makes me sad.

But it's just hundreths of a penny, I'm just not explaining it well.

You're not going to some white collar resort prison... no, no, no! You're going to federal pound you in the ass prison!

Shit I haven't had a conjugal visit in months and I'm a free man.

the BS method
06-30-2011, 08:17 AM
it was me

i did it.

enjoy the money, but someday i will ask for a favor in return

MountainHawk
06-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I would call them today. Now even. By posting on here, you pretty much publicly admitted you know about the money, and so if something screwy goes down you could be facing financial or criminal liability.

AO is very discoverable, as people going through divorces have found out sometimes.

snikelfritz
06-30-2011, 08:22 AM
I would call them today. Now even. By posting on here, you pretty much publicly admitted you know about the money, and so if something screwy goes down you could be facing financial or criminal liability.

AO is very discoverable, as people going through divorces have found out sometimes.

Maybe the money is from somebody who's trying to hide it from their wife, he'll come back and ask for it, but let the OP keep a taste.

FormLetter
06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Lets ask Mr. Moneybags

I think that is JP Morgan.

snikelfritz
06-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I think that is JP Morgan.

Would JP Morgan lose is hat over 6 grand?

FormLetter
06-30-2011, 08:56 AM
WAIT

Ok your bank should be open now.

ADoubleDot
06-30-2011, 09:01 AM
what the hell guys? we had a chance to see if we could get this guy to change his identity over 6 grand and you blew it

GoldenGoal
06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
My mom had this happen 4 years ago.. She actually told the bank that it wasn't her money.. It took them 1-2 years later to retract the money when they were alerted to the problem. She just balanced her check book like it wasn't there.

This is not what I would do ^.

bdschobel
06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Many years ago, I had $144 inexplicably appear in my bank account. I assumed it was an error and would be discovered eventually, but I didn't feel obligated to go out of my way to report the error. I just left the money there and waited. Nine months later, $144 was magically withdrawn from my account. No harm, no foul. All's well that ends well.

Bruce

ADoubleDot
06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
:shake: gross.

IMP
06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Lets ask Mr. Moneybags

http://oi53.tinypic.com/35de3c4.jpg:lol: good one!

IMP
06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
do the right thing and call the bank now. you wouldn't like it if you deposited $6 to your account and there was a mess up and it went to someone else's account.

Vorian Atreides
06-30-2011, 10:09 AM
I would call the bank right now and tell them to put a temporary freeze on your account.

If it's a scam, someone could be putting that money into your account to verify that they have both an accurate routing number and account number.

Once they know that it's accurate, they'll start looking to access other account numbers and see if they can hit the jackpot.

The reason for the large amount is that it'll "freeze" you for a while (you're wondering what exactly to do with this--they figure that you don't want to lose this deal!) so they can do their other work.

Unlike the AO, they're not going to ask you to pay for half, they're going to force you to pay for the whole damn fence.

ditkaworshipper
06-30-2011, 10:14 AM
This happened to my sister a couple years ago and she was asking my parents and I about it. Her idea was to withdraw it "so I don't treat it like my money." We all started cracking up because we knew this was a crime and had to explain that to her.

IMP
06-30-2011, 10:24 AM
imo, you guys are being paranoid about the scam thing. he just needs to call the bank. they can see where the money came from. i'd bet $6000 it's not a scam and just a simple mistake.

Vorian Atreides
06-30-2011, 10:36 AM
That's some mistake.

FormLetter
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
It seems like a mistake that probably happens a lot since it only requires some account or routing numbers to be mistyped.

GoldenGoal
06-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I hope someone mistakes on me sometime.

Travis
06-30-2011, 10:58 AM
I hope someone mistakes on me sometime.

I'd try Craigslist personals.

The Left
06-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Wait a couple days so you can collect some interest then report it.

Vorian Atreides
06-30-2011, 11:24 AM
WWRD?

What would Rickson do?

ORLYLOL
06-30-2011, 11:49 AM
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _________
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./ It’s a trap! \
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _,,,--~~~~~~~~--,_ . . . .\ ._________/
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,-‘ : : : :::: :::: :: : : : : :Ί ‘-, . . \/. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .,-‘ :: : : :::: :::: :::: :::: : : :o : ‘-, . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . ,-‘ :: ::: :: : : :: :::: :::: :: : : : : :O ‘-, . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .,-‘ : :: :: :: :: :: : : : : : , : : :Ί :::: :::: ::’; . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .,-‘ / / : :: :: :: :: : : :::: :::-, ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;\ . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . /,-‘,’ :: : : : : : : : : :: :: :: : ‘-, ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;;| . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . /,’,-‘ :: :: :: :: :: :: :: : ::_,-~~,_’-, ;; ;; ;; ;; | . . . . . . .
. . . . . _/ :,’ :/ :: :: :: : : :: :: _,-‘/ : ,-‘;’-‘’’’’~-, ;; ;; ;;,’ . . . . . . . .
. . . ,-‘ / : : : : : : ,-‘’’ : : :,--‘’ :|| /,-‘-‘--‘’’__,’’’ \ ;; ;,-‘ . . . . . . . .
. . . \ :/,, : : : _,-‘ --,,_ : : \ :\ ||/ /,-‘-‘x### ::\ \ ;;/ . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . \/ /---‘’’’ : \ #\ : :\ : : \ :\ \| | : (O##Ί : :/ /-‘’ . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . /,’____ : :\ ‘-#\ : \, : :\ :\ \ \ : ‘-,___,-‘,-`-,, . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . ‘ ) : : : :’’’’--,,--,,,,,,― \ \ :: ::--,,_’’-,,’’’― :’- :’-, . . . . . . . . .
. . . . .) : : : : : : ,, : ‘’’’~~~~’ \ :: :: :: :’’’’’― :: ,-‘ :,/\ . . . . . . . . .
. . . . .\,/ /|\\| | :/ / : : : : : : : ,’-, :: :: :: :: ::,--‘’ :,-‘ \ \ . . . . . . . .
. . . . .\\’|\\ \|/ ‘/ / :: :_--,, : , | )’; :: :: :: :,-‘’ : ,-‘ : : :\ \, . . . . . . .
. . . ./― :| \ |\ : |/\ :: ::----, :\/ :|/ :: :: ,-‘’ : :,-‘ : : : : : : ‘’-,,_ . . . .
. . ..| : : :/ ‘’-(, :: :: :: ‘’’’’~,,,,,’’ :: ,-‘’ : :,-‘ : : : : : : : : :,-‘’’\\ . . . .
. ,-‘ : : : | : : ‘’) : : :―’’’’~-,: : ,--‘’’ : :,-‘’ : : : : : : : : : ,-‘ :―’’’’’-,_ .
./ : : : : :’-, :: | :: :: :: _,,-‘’’’― : ,--‘’ : : : : : : : : : : : / : : : : : : :’’-,
/ : : : : : -, :―’’’’’’’’’’’― : : _,,-~’’ : : : : : : : : : : : : : :| : : : : : : : : :
: : : : : : :―’’~~~~~~’’’ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : | : : : : : : : : :

Vorian Atreides
06-30-2011, 11:55 AM
:iatp:

notreallyme
06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Lets ask Mr. Moneybags

nice :tup:

snikelfritz
06-30-2011, 12:25 PM
do the right thing and call the bank now. you wouldn't like it if you deposited $6 to your account and there was a mess up and it went to someone else's account.

$6 I'd probably let slide :wink:

I recently had a significant transfer (over 6k) and the bank called me to confirm I was expecting it before making the deposit, it seems that was the step missing in the OP's transaction.

CaffeineAddict
06-30-2011, 12:33 PM
I called the bank. The automated machine misread the first two digits of the account number off of the deposit slip and deposited the money into my account. Case closed. Too bad no nice payday for me. Some good laughs in this thread though (moneybags :rofl:)

Woodrow
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Many years ago, I had $144 inexplicably appear in my bank account. I assumed it was an error and would be discovered eventually, but I didn't feel obligated to go out of my way to report the error. I just left the money there and waited. Nine months later, $144 was magically withdrawn from my account. No harm, no foul. All's well that ends well.

Bruce

:shake: gross.

:tup: :llol:

tgadd
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM
I called the bank. The automated machine misread the first two digits of the account number off of the deposit slip and deposited the money into my account. Case closed. Too bad no nice payday for me. Some good laughs in this thread though (moneybags :rofl:)

Bravo. Sucks you didn't get the keep a finder's fee. Don't bounty hunters get like 50% of the bail or something? You could easily have asked for 5%.

George Oscar Bluth
06-30-2011, 01:23 PM

interesting that they told you that. you could probably figure out the other account # before too long

IMP
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
$6 I'd probably let slide :wink:

I recently had a significant transfer (over 6k) and the bank called me to confirm I was expecting it before making the deposit, it seems that was the step missing in the OP's transaction.:lol: oops! meant $6k

Sopranos
06-30-2011, 02:28 PM
interesting that they told you that. you could probably figure out the other account # before too long

Anytime someone writes you a check you have their account number right there on the check. :shrug:

Aw Yeah
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM

do i have to RN this, or can we just assume that everyone on earth has seen this multiple times