PDA

View Full Version : PD before 8

Phat Daddy
01-17-2004, 10:51 AM
I just passed Course 5 and now only need 8 plus 35 PD credits (I am an old ASA and the conversion gave me 15 PD credits). Here are my two questions:

1) Can I start getting more PD prior to passing 8? Reading the rules, it says I can only get 15 credits prior to my passing of course 8. Does that include the 15 I already had?

2) What are the good and bad seminars out there for 8 Ind. Life?

mayreeh
01-19-2004, 04:55 PM
The 15 credits from conversion do not count towards your 15 credit limit for prior to passing course 8.

Which seminars are good depends on what you are going for? Product development? I think May meeting is good. Valuation and financial reporting? The Valuation Actuary Symposium is good. Not too many people are suicidal enough to do it, but the Qualifications seminar in early November is great. Most educational seminar I ever attended - but tons of pre-reading and it is exam validated.

Go for the project. I know that most folks with 15 credits don't do it, but if you are doing responsible work as an ASA, you won't have problems finding something appropriate for a project. It is actually easier to write up a project than to write up seminars. Only needing 35 credits, you could do a project, do the CD, and then you would only need 8 credits. You can get 3 non-SOA credits for each one hour seminar you deliver at work, as long as your advisor buys into it. You wouldn't have to worry about going to a seminar and writing it up.

OK.... so that seems like it is stretching it a bit, but I think it would be within the rules....