PDA

View Full Version : Part 5: NEAS Rosemont Seminar (Mar 4-8)

Avi
01-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Anyone plan on attending this?

bg23516
01-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Feldblum wasted my time for Part 6, and yet I'm thinking about attending because of Mahler. Then I think about Feldblum wasting my time again.

Ugh. It's a damn shame his notes are so good. I really want just his notes, but don't want to listen to his rambling again...

What to do...

Ducky
01-21-2004, 02:27 PM
Will be there. Can't wait to see if Feldblum's as bad in person as everything I've read/heard about him. :shake:

Sotally Tober
01-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Feldblum wasted my time for Part 6, and yet I'm thinking about attending because of Mahler. Then I think about Feldblum wasting my time again.

Ugh. It's a d*mn shame his notes are so good. I really want just his notes, but don't want to listen to his rambling again...

What to do...

He's much better with Part 5.

Dooby Scoo
01-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Feldbomb is terrible. Start hoping that Howard Mahler takes over.

Utanapishtim
01-24-2004, 04:44 PM
I'll be there. Figure it's as good a time as any to see if these things are of any use.

Incidentally, anyone know if there's a cheaper hotel next door to this Holiday Inn they've got it at? I suspect not, being in the airport area...but these big USD prices over five nights are as much of an investment as the seminar itself; talk about hidden costs! (:

asamd
01-25-2004, 09:48 AM
How about making a bid on Priceline.com. When I went to GA State for their seminars, I'd bid. One time my bid won a week at the Buckhead Sheraton for $25/night . The only downside was a ride on the MARTA train to GSU which was a pleasant way to unwind.

Utanapishtim
02-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Anyone know if they've sent out the notes that're supposed to accompany this seminar, yet?

I rather expected there'd be a considerable stack of them, and we'd want to have them far enough in advance to at least skim through most of them before the day arrived...but haven't seen or heard any trace of them as yet.

Howard Mahler
02-07-2004, 11:35 AM
My portion of the notes have been mailed.
About 440 pages.

Howard Mahler

Avi
02-07-2004, 10:14 PM
I got them on Wednesday :)

Utanapishtim
02-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Finally arrived, today. And what a stack.

Given the choice, would you suppose it's more worthwhile to go through these, or a final quarter of the original articles, before attending the seminar?

Sotally Tober
02-13-2004, 09:00 AM

Given the choice, would you suppose it's more worthwhile to go through these, or a final quarter of the original articles, before attending the seminar?

Depends on the articles you still have to cover.

Off the top of my head, WC, Marker/Mohl, Graves/Castillo, Asset Share Pricing, Finger you have to have read and have a basic understanding. If you haven't, spend the time on them.

In general, I'd say finish the articles. The seminar material, while looks like a lot, you'll start flying through as you (re)study each article once you get into April.

Good luck.

Howard Mahler
02-14-2004, 03:10 PM

The overwhelmong majority of my Part 5 Study Aids are problems and solutions. We will go over many of them at the Seminar, so it will be fine if you read the papers and not the Study Aids prior to the seminar.

For some papers you might find skimming my study aids as you read the paper worthwhile, picking out things that seem like they might help you.

Howard Mahler

Utanapishtim
02-26-2004, 10:13 PM
I hate to sound like I'm repeating myself, but...

Does anyone know if the study schedule and Feldblum notes have been sent out for this, yet? As I'll be leaving on Wednesday, they have three weekdays to arrive, now, or I won't be getting them before the seminar itself. Which leads to another question, I suppose -- in the worst case, does anyone have experience with whether one can acquire a hard copy of them while at the seminar, or would it be a matter of mugging a fellow student or dropping a mint at the local copy shop?

Avi
02-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately, we had the same issue at NEAS 2, Feldblum's notes never arrived, and it was rather difficult to follow him at speed w/o his notes. I sure hope they either arrive on Monday, or are waiting in Chicago.

Edit:

Is it suggested that one bring ALL the study material's to a seminar?

Utanapishtim
02-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Ah, lovely. Well, if they haven't arrived for you, yet, there's no hope of them getting all the way out to me in time, now.

If I remember, I'll email the NEAS folks and ask exactly that.

Edit: I plan to bring all the NEAS-supplied study notes, as well as some of the original articles (particularly those I hadn't finished reading yet). The seminar runs what, 8-5, which leaves plenty of time for preparatory study for the folowing days, I should think.

Or Hooters trips, but there's just no way of confidently predicting the frequency of those.

Utanapishtim
03-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Following up the question about Feldblum's study notes:
I inquired via email to the NEAS contact, and got the following...
All the students will receive all of Feldblum's material at the seminar.
So, it seems like good news, apart from not being able to get them beforehand.

Avi
03-01-2004, 02:37 PM
So, it seems like good news, apart from not being able to get them beforehand.Caveat. That was said at the NEAS Exam 2 seminar as well, and they did not arrive.

From my, albeit limited, experience, Feldblum's notes are excellent, and having them in front of you as he lectures makes it a much more rewarding experience. Otherwise, it is very difficult to both take notes and digest what he says simultaneously. At least that is the way it was for me.

Avi
03-02-2004, 05:14 PM
OK guys. See you Thursday.

Utanapishtim
03-09-2004, 12:19 AM
...man, that place was isolated out there in Rosemont.

Avi
03-09-2004, 01:00 AM
:lol:

Yup, although it was convenient in regards to getting to and from the airport.

So, any comments?

And what about those of you who attended and did NOT introduce themselves :shake:

Utanapishtim
03-09-2004, 01:15 AM
I'm not certain yet if I think it was worthwhile or not. Ask me in July (;

...well, actually ask me once I've studied a couple of more weeks. They did offer some additional explanation and examples, beyond simply a five-day block of practice problems to jumpstart that stage of studying, but the real question is how long any of that will actually stick with me.

Oh, but I can't knock the timing... at least with a trekkie convention in for the weekend, us actuaries weren't the biggest geeks around (:

Avi
03-09-2004, 01:24 AM
at least with a trekkie convention in for the weekend, us actuaries weren't the biggest geeks around (::rofl:

Kitara
03-09-2004, 12:46 PM
For the NEAS Part 7 Seminar, we got to be in the middle of a HAIR convention - including the "alternative" hair show. Needless to say, most of us weren't feeling very stylish & trendy...

horsePower
03-09-2004, 05:53 PM
:
So, any comments?
:

Yeah, what did people think? :crazy:

Ninjuary
03-09-2004, 10:53 PM
So, it seems like good news, apart from not being able to get them beforehand.

So the people who went to the Chicago seminar get the rest of Feldblum's notes a month before the NJ attendees?

Utanapishtim
03-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Hmm, that's a good question, I certainly hadn't considered it myself.

Well, he's got all the material pinted out, obviously, so I would imagine they'd send it out. Perhaps after correcting anything that we'd caught at the seminar.

Altogether, it's probably about as big a stack as Mahler's notes, which we got sent earlier, I would estimate.