PDA

View Full Version : PD field of study question

Phil
01-28-2004, 03:22 PM
I've worked in pensions for 7 years. I have no health experience except that I wrote Course 8M. But, I am much more interested in health than pension.

Question: Will the SoA accept a PD plan based solely on health insurance (given that I've never worked with it before)? Or do I have to somehow combine health with my previous pension work in order to be approved?

Thanks very much for your advice,
-Phil

bm1729
01-28-2004, 03:33 PM
As I understand it, your PD plan does not have to be based on your work experience. I believe that all the SOA asks for is consistency in your PD plan, i.e., you choose a field, and all the components of your PD plan must be in that field.

8down
01-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Similar Question: What if your PD plan is based on a different track than your chosen Course 8. (e.g. if the track you currently work in is different than the 8 you took)?

bm1729
01-28-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't think that what course 8 exam you took should matter either.

Twisted Logic
01-28-2004, 08:06 PM
There is no requirement that the PD area be same/similar to the Course 8. I hace specifically asked SOA about that prior to deciding on Course 8 exam and here is the response I've got:

"Typically, the SOA would expect a candidate's PD plan to focus on one practice area. The global educational objective of the professional development component is for the candidate to develop "a deeper understanding of the technical, legal, ethical, cultural, professional and practical parameters that apply to the chosen practice area, within the geographic territory or jurisdiction of the practice of the candidate." This practice area does not necessarily have to be the same as the track previously followed."

8down
01-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys! :)