PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneers Again

Abducens
02-08-2002, 03:06 PM
ESPN Sez:

"In a stunning move that throws the franchise even deeper into chaos, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers abruptly broke off negotiations Friday afternoon with Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis, and will look elsewhere for a head coach, ESPN.com has learned."

What a mess.

M.
02-08-2002, 03:17 PM
As a disillusioned Bucs fan, I'm almost glad to see this mess. The players did not live up to their promise to help Dungy keep his job (see the Philly loss). The owners treated him poorly, giving him no indication during the season of their intentions.

Now, this report on ESPN.com says that the owners were rude to Marvin Lewis. This team deserves no one good.

Dr T Non-Fan
02-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Asking for too much money or too much power?

Or did Keyshawn prefer a more offensive-minded coach and say so, simply because someone asked him a question?

Ducky
02-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Maybe Sapp can be player/coach. Offensive coordinator Keyshawn. No need for defensive coordinator as Sapp can handle that within his head coaching responsiblities.

PK
02-08-2002, 03:31 PM
When arriving at the door on Halloween night, the woman was met by a young boy wearing a pirate costume.

"Where are your Buccaneers?", she asked.

"They are under my buccan hat!", the youth replied.

Sorry, I can think of nothing else every time the Buccaneers comes up. :smile:

jets fan
02-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Wow! I'll say this, the Bucs are providing good off-season entertainment! :smile: But seriously, that's a slap in the face to Marvin Lewis - if he doesn't deserve a head coaching job, who does? Who will they go after now? The article said they also interviewed Mike Mularkey and Norv Turner, but now Turner just signed on w/ Miami. I don't know what Mularkey's status is. And as we learned the other day, Al Davis won't let Gruden go. What a mess!!!

The soap opera continues...

CJL
02-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Lately, whenever I hear about the Buccaneers, I think of Berman calling them the team that invented losing. :smile:

Smartest thing the Buccaneers have ever done was get new uniforms. Too bad there isn't an award for most improved color scheme, maybe Tampa could win that.

Of course, they have an unfair advantage when they start with two shades of orange.

toomuchtime
02-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Just when they were getting it right, they pull this crap. It reminds me of the Godfather... "Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in" or something like that.

Mick Fan
02-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Good ol' Tampa ...

Of course, the 0-26 start!

Drafted both Bo Jackson and Steve Young and neither one played a down for the Bucs!

Never won a game in below 40-degree weather (but they haven't won too many road games in ABOVE 40 degree weather)

Never returned a kickoff for a TD.

Never played in a Super Bowl (two NFC championship games, two field goals!)

This who coaching thing is just another example!

treyso
02-11-2002, 09:10 AM
On 2002-02-10 15:06, Mick Fan wrote:
Good ol' Tampa ...

Drafted both Bo Jackson and Steve Young and neither one played a down for the Bucs!

Check that about Steve Young. I believe he did play some downs.

Don't forget the, no team that has lost to Tampa has won the Super Bowl? I hear that every year, maybe that's why the Rams lost this year.

How about Marvin Lewis to the Redskins?

jets fan
02-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Lewis to the Skins is an interesting move. He probably got a raise, but he will also have Dan Snyder breathing down his neck all year and he'll be working under a 1st year NFL coach who is implementing a brand new system. I don't know if this will help his chances to get a head coaching job next year. But there could be other factors affecting his decision that I don't know about.

Han Solo
02-11-2002, 01:00 PM
True, Spurrier is a 1st year coach implementing a new system, but Spurrier will only be implementing that on offense. I imagine Lewis will have a pretty free hand to build the defense the way he wants. And I think there were several million reasons for taking the job.

I'd like to officially thank the Glaziers for giving us the chance to get an outstanding D coordinator. Your loss is our gain.

jets fan
02-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Yeah, he's now the highest paid assistant (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0210/1326994.html) in the league. It says that it's a 3 year deal, but I wonder if he has an escape clause if he wants to become a head coach after next season.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jets fan on 2002-02-11 12:11 ]</font>

Dr T Non-Fan
02-11-2002, 02:12 PM
1. I think he needs to learn more about offense. Spurrier has the knowledge, but will he have the motivation to share it?
2. If he's head coach, he'd have to turn over the defensive coordinator duties to a far lesser person.

Maybe his ego is in check now. He should check Buddy Ryan's track record.

Maybe Baltimore Ravens mgmt should have recognize when he said he wasn't leaving the area, it could have meant more than their limited thinking.

CJL
02-11-2002, 02:50 PM
I thought it was no team that lost to the jets ever won a superbowl - true for tampa bay too?

urysohn
02-11-2002, 03:03 PM
The Jets beat the Patriots in week 2, so I guess that one wouldn't hold true anymore.

jets fan
02-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks urysohn!

Mick Fan
02-11-2002, 11:35 PM
Check that about Steve Young. I believe he did play some downs.

I stand corrected, Badger. I forgot that he played 19 games over two seasons. They still let him get away, though.

I just heard a Marvin Lewis interview and he seemed to indicate that he wanted to stay in the BAL / DC area so that his daughter can finish high school. She'll be a senior next year.

treyso
02-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Anyone hear that Marv Levy called up Tampa and asked to be their coach for a year while they wait for Gruden? Please, Please, can I do it?

jets fan
02-12-2002, 11:30 AM
I heard that too. It would be something if old Marv took over for that 1 year and won a Superbowl (not likely) after losing 4 in a row a few years back! I did also hear that they're not seriously considering him.

Han Solo
02-12-2002, 12:55 PM
I heard Tampa is now looking at big name college coaches. I think Maryland's Ralph Freidgen and Hawaii's June Jones are on the list.

urysohn
02-12-2002, 01:21 PM
I heard they didn't want Levy because they didn't want a 74-year-old when they were looking for something "long-term". Average NFL coaching tenure: 3 1/2 years.

CJL
02-12-2002, 01:37 PM
urysohn: You're right. What am I going to do now? I know so many Miami Dolphins fans who have super bowl hopes year after year, and it's been so much fun to dash their hopes after they lose to the Jets. Again. And again...

jets fan
02-12-2002, 02:57 PM
Nice!

urysohn
02-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Friedgen just withdrew from the running for the TB job. This is an _NFL_ head coaching job right? How hard can it be to find people interested in the job????

Ducky
02-12-2002, 09:47 PM
On 2002-02-12 15:10, urysohn wrote:
Friedgen just withdrew from the running for the TB job. This is an _NFL_ head coaching job right? How hard can it be to find people interested in the job????

You have to remember that this is Tampa. Nice climate, but a mediocre football franchise at best. Even so, you'd think some college coaches would be jumping at the chance to get in the NFL. It also tells you alot about the owners.

jets fan
02-13-2002, 08:21 AM
All I heard for a while is that Tampa was going to try to find a "big-name" coach, after the deal with Parcells fell through. Unless they can find a way to lure a Jimmy Johnson or Joe Gibbs out of retirement (yeah right!), I think they can kiss that idea goodbye now! The Glazers are not earning a good reputation for themselves!

Han Solo
02-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Exactly. No big names are going to want to have anything to do with that situation. (read: those owners!) Their only hope is going to be in getting a coach that isn't well known and hoping to make a name for themselves.

CJL
02-13-2002, 01:54 PM
Although, that's what they said about Snyder, and since then he's gotten Schottenheimer and Spurrier.

Abducens
02-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Another thing working against them is that any incoming coach will be 2nd- or 3rd-tier and will almost certainly be canned soon when more hot prospects emerge next year (Lovie Smith for one).

Han Solo
02-13-2002, 02:09 PM
On 2002-02-13 12:54, CJL wrote:
Although, that's what they said about Snyder, and since then he's gotten Schottenheimer and Spurrier.

It's amazing who is willing to listen when money is doing the talking, isn't it?

I doubt the Glaziers are as liberal with the checkbook as Danny.

jets fan
02-13-2002, 02:10 PM
CJL, I just don't think there are too many big-name coaches out there that are not retired - that is a bigger factor than the owners' personalities (or lack thereof). Both Gibbs and JJ have been very public that their careers are officially over and Parcells already turned them down. The Glazers turned down the hottest assistant coach out there (Ray Lewis) and I just don't see where they'll come up with a big-name type candidate, regardless of the issue of whether they could work with the Glazers. Maybe Ditka might fit the bill somewhat, but the Glazers seem fixated on some offensive genius type, which Ditka never earned a reputation as.

CJL
02-13-2002, 02:34 PM
jetsfan: That's true, the supply is low. My point was that Snyder proved that owners with reputations as being undesireable to coach for can still get big name coaches - that factor alone doesn't make it impossible.

Han Solo hit the nail on the head. That situation without something to help overcome it, such as big, sweaty wads of money, is quite problematic.

urysohn
02-13-2002, 03:40 PM
The coaching supply is low because the NFL seems intent on churning the same coaches from job to job. I'm not a coaching expert, but you can't tell me there isn't one good college head coach or NFL assistant who wouldn't be at least as good as some of the people at the helm right now. Take a chance on someone new. Worst case, you fire him (or, maybe even her if we can't find any coaches!) next year instead of the year after like you would have otherwise.

Mick Fan
02-13-2002, 04:25 PM
On 2002-02-13 14:40, urysohn wrote:
The coaching supply is low because the NFL seems intent on churning the same coaches from job to job. I'm not a coaching expert, but you can't tell me there isn't one good college head coach or NFL assistant who wouldn't be at least as good as some of the people at the helm right now. Take a chance on someone new. Worst case, you fire him (or, maybe even her if we can't find any coaches!) next year instead of the year after like you would have otherwise.

Agreed! I'm sick of the same old coaches going from job to job. I'd like to see some more new blood in the NFL coaching ranks.

Abducens
02-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Somebody mentioned Ray Lewis, though I think by "fresh blood" people don't mean someone who has it all over their hands.

(Of course that somebody means Marvin Lewis)

M.
02-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Teams could interview Lovie Smith for a head coaching position now if they wanted to, couldn't they? He's a defensive coordinator, so the Rams would only have to give permission for a lateral move, not a move up.

He's a great defensive guy, but noone knows what he could do with an offense.

Anonymous
02-13-2002, 05:47 PM
After watching the Patriots move down the field against the Rams D with under 2 minutes and no timeouts, I don't know if Lovie is at the top of anyone's list

Han Solo
02-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Since all the people at the top of Tampa's list keep removing their names, he might get to the top of that list pretty soon.

Abducens
02-14-2002, 08:40 AM
Smith said about a month ago that he would probably stick around another year. Considering how little his name has come up it sounds like he'll be around. After '02 he is as good as gone though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Abducens on 2002-02-14 07:50 ]</font>

Captain America
02-14-2002, 08:52 AM
I am officially withdrawing my name from consideration for the position of head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

So stop calling me!

Han Solo
02-15-2002, 08:19 AM
I thought this was amusing.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/buccaneers/020214.html

Ducky
02-15-2002, 09:38 AM
I was glad to see Bellotti say he wasn't interested in going to Tampa. I'm afraid he will jump the Oregon ship somewhere down the road for a pro gig, but I hope we can hang on to him for a long time.

Mick Fan
02-15-2002, 11:25 AM
On 2002-02-14 07:52, Captain America wrote:
I am officially withdrawing my name from consideration for the position of head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

So stop calling me!

Glazer's been calling me nonstop as well. I told him to cut it out.

He told me that he read my posts about how the Pats are one of the worst teams to make the Super Bowl and how they will get routed. Glazer said that the fact that I at least THINK that I know something about football makes me a candidate at this stage in the game.
:razz:

the mole
02-15-2002, 11:46 AM
He's been calling me too. He wants me to come up with a plan where Major League Baseball acquires all the other franchises and runs them into the ground.

jets fan
02-15-2002, 02:10 PM
According to this article (http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/cannizzaro_mark/1333233.html), Charlie Weis is interested in coaching the Bucs. But it sounds like he's the only one in the US that the Glazers haven't called!

Anonymous
02-15-2002, 05:52 PM
Here's another. Mariucci is targeted by the Bucs. Why would he want to leave a better team?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0215/1333343.html

urysohn
02-16-2002, 12:24 AM
On 2002-02-15 16:52, tonythetiger wrote:
Here's another. Mariucci is targeted by the Bucs. Why would he want to leave a better team?

I can't think of one single reason. A couple million $$$$ single reasons might do it though.

urysohn
02-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Looks like the Bucs managed to get their hands on Jon Gruden after all

<link>http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20020218/ap-buccaneers-grudenhired.html</link>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: urysohn on 2002-02-18 14:56 ]</font>

Han Solo
02-19-2002, 12:29 AM
"It's amazing who is willing to listen when money is doing the talking, isn't it?

I doubt the Glaziers are as liberal with the checkbook as Danny."

Boy, I was waaaay off on that second part. Not just on the money, a reported $20 mil over 5 years, but 2 #1 picks and 2 #2 picks. My opinion: that's way too much to give up for any coach.

jets fan
02-19-2002, 08:18 AM
The compensation that the Bucs are giving up is more than what the Jets gave up to get Parcells. Although Gruden seems to have a promising future and he has the kind of 'offensive mind' that the Glazers are looking for, he hasn't won a Superbowl and I wouldn't put him anywhere near Parcell's status.

The Bucs wanted offense right? Now that they have the coach (who can only do so much), the next step is to get the players that can bring some offense to the table. Their offense clearly is not working as is with the people they have - they tried firing Les Steckel (sp?) and hiring a new offensive coordinator, but to no avail. The logical place to go and get such players is the draft, which they just signed away for a few years. That leaves them with free agency, but they better not try to hire any restricted free agents because that will mean more compensation!

Conclusion: I agree with HS - I think the compensation was too much.

urysohn
02-19-2002, 09:51 AM
Compensation aside, I think the Bucs incompetency here is going to greatly help three teams.
With Dungy bring in the defense, the Colts are going to be a force to be reckoned with and I'm glad they will no longer be in the AFC East.
Bringing in Gruden should give the Bucs the offensive balance they needed. Based on the mismanagement, they deserved to get a Pop Warner veteran as their next head coach but they got lucky.
And the Raiders were going to lose Gruden in a year anyway, and given that they picked up two #1's and two #2's. But we'll have to see who follows Gruden out of Oakland and who they can replace him with to know for sure.

Ducky
02-19-2002, 10:35 AM
Looks like the Bucs mortgaged their future on Gruden to make up for their prior blunders during this coaching search. I hope he's worth it.

M.
02-19-2002, 12:30 PM
I agree. The Bucs are in trouble after giving up all those draft picks. Free agency will be hitting that vaunted defense over the next couple of years, especially if they use significant cap room to do offensive signings.

This team's in trouble unless Gruden can pull off a minor miracle.

Han Solo
02-19-2002, 12:57 PM
According to most of the articles I read, part of the deal seems to be that he can't take any of his assistant coaches with him from Oakland.

jets fan
02-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Confirmed. Here's the quote (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1336141.html):
Al Davis permitted his reluctant head coach to exit only after he elicited a stipulation that none of the team's assistants will follow him to Tampa Bay.