PDA

View Full Version : do you read the papers?

jesusislord
11-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Ok, so I am sitting for my first upper exam next May. I printed out Friedland, and was looking at the other papers for the exam. Do you read all papers or just depend on a manual or TIA?

david849
11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
sitting for my first upper in may too. from what i heard most people read the papers. it's just a matter of how detail

country squire
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Your survey isn't complete. It should include the possible answers:

- I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.

- Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years.

- I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news too.

Vorian Atreides
11-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Friedland and Werner & Modlin are easy reads. I would suggest reading through them--paying attention to the exhibits to the extent that you follow all described calculations--at least once.

The Feldblum paper isn't too difficult to read either.

Use study manuals to get appropriate practice problems.

Bobby
11-03-2011, 01:31 AM
I never picked up the source material for the prelims.

I rely heavily on the source material for upper levels. As you'll see, there are always a few questions on each test that either aren't covered in the study manual, or aren't covered well, and only those students that read the source material will get. You can certainly pass the exams with just a study manual, but reading the source material helps give you an extra cushion.

General_Hodge_Podge
11-03-2011, 02:57 PM
1st upper level exam coming up for me too. thanks for your replies!

Bobby -- i never used source materials on the prelims either. did you struggle to adapt to the fundamental change in study habits? were there some specific techniques you used to help with the transition?

jesusislord
11-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I never picked up the source material for the prelims.

I rely heavily on the source material for upper levels. As you'll see, there are always a few questions on each test that either aren't covered in the study manual, or aren't covered well, and only those students that read the source material will get. You can certainly pass the exams with just a study manual, but reading the source material helps give you an extra cushion.

yea that is how i approached the prelims as well. i guess i will get a head start and start reading the papers now.

Hubert Cumberdale
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Enjoy the nicely organized syllabus of exam 5 while it lasts. There's over 50 different papers for exam 6.

TheWalrus
11-03-2011, 08:26 PM
I only don't read them when I want to fail.

Bobby
11-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Bobby -- i never used source materials on the prelims either. did you struggle to adapt to the fundamental change in study habits? were there some specific techniques you used to help with the transition?

I think my biggest problem in transitioning to the upper level exams was that I tried to change my study habits too radically. I went in with the supposition that the upper levels had to be prepared for differently than preliminaries. I tried learning more theory and focused on reading the papers multiple times, rather than concentrating on problem solving which I thought was relegated to the preliminaries.

But nope - preparing for the upper levels is very similar to preparing for preliminaries. Read papers, review notes, and do past problems. It's something you've been doing for a while and it will continue to work.

Yes - you need to make sure you understand the theory more, and be able to answer essay questions on theory, but problem solving is still a very large piece of the puzzle.

In addition, you will probably have to study 1.25-2.00 times as much time as you did for the preliminaries.

So, continue to use your old study habits but emphasize theory a bit more and budget for more time to study because those rules about "100 hours per exam hour" start to become true.

Vorian Atreides
11-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Enjoy the nicely organized syllabus of exam 5 while it lasts. There's over 50 different papers for exam 6.
This will likely change by 2013.

Not that it matters much now.