PDA

View Full Version : Poker: Favorite hands?

Happy Extinction
02-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I was reading about this topic on another forum. Someone asked what people's favorite hands are...i.e. hands they will always play. It was amazing to see how many people woukld reply with things like "I always play 56o because once I flopped 556" or something like that.

In any case, I don't have any trash hands that I play. I may have bluffed once or twice with trash, but it was an exceptional instance. However, i do have a couple of hands that I seem to feel a little better about that the odds would imply. These are hands I may be slightly more willing to play than other hands of similar caliber.

Do you have a trash hand you like to play? Is there a hand that seems to give you luck or general warm fuzzies? (Besides the obvious AA, KK etc...)

My two favorites are:

J9s
KJo

FSAme
02-02-2004, 01:51 PM
J8o

:shake:

Wigmeister General
02-02-2004, 01:52 PM
If things are going well, I'll play two suited cards that also have straight possibilities.

If not, I'll trash.

Expunge
02-02-2004, 01:57 PM
i once played a sng tourney where 74o had already won afainst AA twice and AKs once.

I played it from the BB getting something like 6:1 on my voluntary $ and flopped 2 pair to crack another overpair. But i only played it due to the pot odds. I still trash those hands.

Wigmeister General
02-02-2004, 02:32 PM
To quote "the Man" -- "Isn't that what gambling's all about? Making the wrong move at the right time?"

O. Hannah
02-02-2004, 03:29 PM
I like 88 and other small pockets. They tend to get great payoffs for little risk. Best is when you make a boat with them and chomp nut flushes.

Grits N Gravy
02-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Funny you should mention 65o - because that's it for me. Not that I play it a lot, but I managed to double up with it and get a "pathetic" comment out of the donator. I caught bottom pair on the flop so I bet the pot with the intention of laying down to a reraise or a call and any future bet. He called and checked to me on the turn. I caught a 5 on the river, called his all-in and beat his pocket kings.

I don't think they should be played often, and I would definitely prefer it suited, but it has a few things going for it. One is that when you catch a good piece of the flop, there's an especially good chance it missed your opponnent completely. The second is that it's easy to lay down. Take a shot at the pot and if you're reraised, you're out. If you hang around with KJo and the flop comes Jxx or Kxx you've got a good chance of making the second best hand and losing a bunch of chips.

MountainHawk
02-02-2004, 04:47 PM
I've actually won a few hands where I was on one of the blinds (either BB or SB and no callers) with 23o and came away with a win. Caught boats or straights on the flop or turn.

11pecans
02-02-2004, 04:52 PM
i once played a sng tourney where 74o had already won afainst AA twice and AKs once.

I played it from the BB getting something like 6:1 on my voluntary $ and flopped 2 pair to crack another overpair. But i only played it due to the pot odds. I still trash those hands.

thats mine 7 4 os

FSAme
02-02-2004, 08:38 PM
J8o

:shake:

I also like 2Jo

:D

Happy Extinction
02-02-2004, 08:47 PM
I knew there was a joke in there somewhere...I was trying to make it with QJo

Maxprime
02-03-2004, 11:21 AM
J9 isn't a trash hand - but I'll always play it due to some badass flops in the past (J99 3 days ago and I actually lost it to JJ!)

I'll play small pocket pairs and if I have the chips to do it, I'll play small suited cards.

But if everyone's playing tight and I don't have a chip lead, I'll toss away a K9 if it looks like somebody has something.

Bama Gambler
02-03-2004, 11:27 AM
J9 isn't a trash hand - but I'll always play it due to some badass flops in the past (J99 3 days ago and I actually lost it to JJ!)

I'll play small pocket pairs and if I have the chips to do it, I'll play small suited cards.

But if everyone's playing tight and I don't have a chip lead, I'll toss away a K9 if it looks like somebody has something.J9 and K9 are trash! I might play J9 from the button if a lot of players have limped. Only time I would play K9 is in NL on a steal or in limit hold'em from late position if the price is right (and it's suited).

Hummer
02-03-2004, 01:19 PM
San Francisco Busboy

ie - A queen with a trey.

O_Dog
02-03-2004, 04:16 PM
San Francisco Busboy

ie - A queen with a trey.

Haven't heard that one. Pretty funny!

Jack & Whack 'til Bla
02-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Me neither! :)

fallout
02-14-2004, 10:32 AM
I refuse to lay down A9o. I don't know why. Must be something from my youth.

vegas
02-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Dolly Parton - 95s