PDA

View Full Version : CAS Part 5 Mahler Notes

archie1112
02-06-2004, 09:01 AM
This is a question for either Mr. Mahler himself, or anyone who is using these as a study reference.

In what context should these notes be used to maximize their effectiveness? The Mahler notes for part 3 seemed to be almost a substitute for all of the text, going into incredible detail and providing thousands of practice problems. I'm sensing that these notes may be a little more brief and supplementary to the actual readings. It seems like the problem-oriented papers (ie McLenahan) are covered thoroughly, but on some of the more theoretical papers (ie Finger), these notes may not be completely adequate for the dreaded "According to ..." questions.

Still trying to find my groove with studying for my first "upper-level" exam, and any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Howard Mahler
02-07-2004, 11:42 AM
My Part 5 Study Notes are intended as a suplement to and not a substitute for the syllabus. They are intended to work together with attending the seminar and reading the papers.

This is the second year I am teaching Part 5, and I have doubled the notes to 440 pages. They only relate to the half of the syllabus I am teaching.

Part 5 and later exams are indeed different than Courses 3 and 4.
Many of the things that worked in studying for them will continue to work.
However, the readings and to some extent the questions are of a different kind.

Howard Mahler